Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although I 100% agree those wages on those players are criminal. I think it’s worth remembering that perhaps they were closer to justifying those salaries when they were originally offered them (bar Rooney)

They were all 2-5 years younger.

Another way to look at it. What’s Walcott on? Must be 100k min? He justifies that salary right now (in my opinion) but will he in 1-2 years? He’s 29 now isn’t he?

You get my point? Not making excuses for those idiots who have for sure not helped, but don’t think you can just look at what a players wage is now if he has been on that contact for 1,2,3,4 years etc

Supposedly (according to Sean Lunt and Sky Sports (I know...)) we're 'preparing' a bid for Maddison.

So we have moved on from "considering" bidding to "contemplating" to "preparing" just got "drawing up" "lodging" to go before we can hear news that our bid has been rejected :)

I've seen some articles saying that Gelson, Carvalho and Bruno Fernandes have issued to terminate their contracts today.. if it's true we should throw £60m between the three of them.

Superimposed1528748424394.webp
Tommy and Lookie's Summer LOL'S 2K18

#UpThePort

I'm basing on having seen him play and knowing there's a lot of hype around him. I have only seen him a handful of times though. Also work with a Norwich fan who raves about him.

He's definitely got that guile/turn of pace that Ross first had when he came through. He's got the talent. Just because he didn't have the international recognition doesn't mean he's crap. Plus, 21 is young. It's ludicrous to say it isn't.

But I don't think we need that type of player. Not even sure we need a creative midfielder as a priority either.

We have Gylfi, and Dowell - who is like Maddison in playing style I think. The priority should be someone to add some physicality and power to the midfield imo.

Maddison and dowell may both be creative midfielders but they are no where near the same style of player. Maddison has pace and can carry the ball box to box much like Barkley used to, and this along with his two footed shooting was what made barkley special for his age. Dowell has no pace and reminds me of one of those talking trees from lord of the rings. He does have a cracking left peg tho but he doesn't have the same attributes as Maddison. Not saying Maddison is worth 25m and not saying he isn't, not saying dowell is crap either , just saying that their styles are not the same

How were we supposed to sign him then?

How were we supposed to sign him?

He was playing in a high profile .team in the Eredivisie. That would have had him on a wage of around €10K per week. We had around £200M to spend and a high profile Dutch Manager. The math is simple.

Instead, we wasted £24M on a rank average Englishman.

Preparing a bid must be like stuffing a suitcase full of money (and some brown paper envelopes for the agents). It's hard work.

And i expect you lose count a bit in the millions and have to start from scratch a few times.

In light of the echo piece on brands wanting to look at South American players one player I think we should go for is maxi Gomez at Celta Vigo.

Not seen any links but based on what we think silva will play (a proper 433 with pace out wide) I think he'd definitely fit.

18 goals last season in la liga a lot of them in the box, especially with his head, so would suit lookman/lozano and Walcott either side pinging crosses in.

He's only young but physically a brute, plus he's Uruguayan so should be able to handle physicality of the prem, nice little bit of snide too.

Maddison and dowell may both be creative midfielders but they are no where near the same style of player. Maddison has pace and can carry the ball box to box much like Barkley used to, and this along with his two footed shooting was what made barkley special for his age. Dowell has no pace and reminds me of one of those talking trees from lord of the rings. He does have a cracking left peg tho but he doesn't have the same attributes as Maddison. Not saying Maddison is worth 25m and not saying he isn't, not saying dowell is crap either , just saying that their styles are not the same

I always thought they looked similar mate.

Dowell is by no means slow, but i do agree he isn't a ball carrier in the way Maddison is.

But in terms of position, both having a brilliant left foot, eye for a pass/long shot, they're similar.

That being said, I think Maddison could easily play in a central three, whereas Dowell wouldn't fit into that in a CDM-RCM-LCM kind of 4-3-3.

Everton spent £150m last summer plus a further £40m on players in January for a desperately poor return. Asked whether Moshiri would make similar funds available this summer, Brands replied: “No. First of all we need to offload players to raise money [to spend], and also salary-wise. But it’s not only a money thing. Of course money is important but also, for a coach, it is not workable to start with 38 players in your squad. We have to look for a squad Marco can work with and I think there always has to be space for young players to come to the first team.

“That has to be, let’s say, 25-30 players. Now there are 38 and a lot are not young any more. They are players who have arrived. We have to be honest when we take the decision with these players. Do they have prospects here at Everton? Some of the conversations will not be nice but I think Marco must start with a squad that everyone is eager to play for and has prospects to play.”

I don't think the "to spend' is a direct quote and I've never heard him say that. He said the quad is too big and that it would help with money as OF COURSE it would.

In terms of his approach, it's completely natural to assess your current squad and organization first. He NEEDS to talk to his first teamers as well as his scouts in terms of getting opinions on targets FIRST.

He was playing in a high profile .team in the Eredivisie. That would have had him on a wage of around €10K per week. We had around £200M to spend and a high profile Dutch Manager. The math is simple.

No offence intended but if you think the Captain of Ajax was getting paid £10k a week then you are either extremely naive or, well, stupid.

Klassen was on far more than €10k p/wk at Ajax mate.

He'd have been on at least €35-40k.

Yes, they aren't massive earners compared to the ridiculous figures in the Prem, but they still earn a fair whack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back