Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
We definitely need to sell a good number of the dross in the squad I've never argued differently mate. I just think we havent the funds in the kitty to make any big signings until we get some cash from sales first which I think is poor from the club.

Looks I'd normally agree with this sort of post, but whether or not we have funds to buy before we SELL is completely irrelevant. We NEED to sell for obvious footballing reasons. We have a dozen or so players who claim a large wage off us every week and are never ever going to play, and in some cases are disruptive and unprofessional as well.

I don't care if we need to sell to buy for financial purposes this summer. A decade of Kenwright sell to buy clearly was a bad plan and doomed to failure. But selling in this circumstance we find ourselves is essential. We need our squad down to 30 players max. That means more than 2 out for every in and I'll be more than content if we get 3 or 4 good players who can walk into our starting team and improve us. Let's be realistic here, we need a firesale and fast. Hurry up Marcel.

Hes a top top player...

Weird now Cristante, Torreira and Kluivert moving clubs already...not a peep from us.

Hopefully some sales this week...all a bit too quiet.

Could literally say that about any player in world football moving mate

Fred just went to United, not a peep, etc.

They're probably just players we were never actually in for. Doesn't mean they aren't good, mind. Cristante is excellent and Kluivert looks a talent (but we've got Lookman for that role).

Looks I'd normally agree with this sort of post, but whether or not we have funds to buy before we SELL is completely irrelevant. We NEED to sell for obvious footballing reasons. We have a dozen or so players who claim a large wage off us every week and are never ever going to play, and in some cases are disruptive and unprofessional as well.

I don't care if we need to sell to buy for financial purposes this summer. A decade of Kenwright sell to buy clearly was a bad plan and doomed to failure. But selling in this circumstance we find ourselves is essential. We need our squad down to 30 players max. That means more than 2 out for every in and I'll be more than content if we get 3 or 4 good players who can walk into our starting team and improve us. Let's be realistic here, we need a firesale and fast. Hurry up Marcel.

39 players, but sure, lets buy some more, we can just do a Rangers and work our way back from League Two, COYFB.

should be all over William Carvalho and Gelson Martins - I know the latter will be harder to acquire but certainly worth throwing wages at if available on a free

We definitely need to sell a good number of the dross in the squad I've never argued differently mate. I just think we havent the funds in the kitty to make any big signings until we get some cash from sales first which I think is poor from the club.

What @ToffeeTim said mate

And to be brutally honest, I don't think we do have loads in the kitty. And tbf, why should Moshiri bank roll another summer?

We spent £180m last season in total on transfer fees:

Pickford - £30m
Klaassen - £24m
Sandro - £5m
Keane - £25m
Sigurdsson - £45m
Vlasic - £8m
Tosun - £27m
Walcott - £20m

We recouped around £115m, IIRC, from the following sales:

Lukaku - £90m (including add ons)
Deulofeu - £12m
Barkley - £115m

So we're looking at at least £60m funded by Moshiri/investment/TV money - whatever. It's all the same really, because if the TV money funded part of the £60m, then it means Moshiri invested into other areas of the club i.e. wages, stadium etc etc

Then, we've got the pay-offs for two managers. Big pay offs at that. At least £10m between them. And, most likely, a smaller pay off for Walsh, plus the respective coaching teams, plus the compensation to both PSV and Watford for Brands and Silva respectively. Easily getting towards the £20m mark.

What @ToffeeTim said mate

And to be brutally honest, I don't think we do have loads in the kitty. And tbf, why should Moshiri bank roll another summer?

We spent £180m last season in total on transfer fees:

Pickford - £30m
Klaassen - £24m
Sandro - £5m
Keane - £25m
Sigurdsson - £45m
Vlasic - £8m
Tosun - £27m
Walcott - £20m

We recouped around £115m, IIRC, from the following sales:

Lukaku - £90m (including add ons)
Deulofeu - £12m
Barkley - £115m

So we're looking at at least £60m funded by Moshiri/investment/TV money - whatever. It's all the same really, because if the TV money funded part of the £60m, then it means Moshiri invested into other areas of the club i.e. wages, stadium etc etc

Then, we've got the pay-offs for two managers. Big pay offs at that. At least £10m between them. And, most likely, a smaller pay off for Walsh, plus the respective coaching teams, plus the compensation to both PSV and Watford for Brands and Silva respectively. Easily getting towards the £20m mark.

52m currently, thats how much we have paid in managers comp since Moshiri took over.

We paid Martinez 12m
Koeman will cost us 15m
Sam cost us another 9m
Comp for Walsh
Comp for Koeman
Comp for Brands
Comp for Sam

Fascinating that we have so many terrible players that we all have our own hate figure. Mine is Schneiderlin, ahead of a handful of others.

Schneiderlin deserves it for me because he couldn't be arsed. When he put the effort in, he showed his quality (Chelsea at home stands out, as does that tie against Split in qualifying (both legs) from the first half of the season). Other than that, bar a few improved displays in the last few weeks, there was just no effort from him.

Same goes for Williams.

Can take players simply not being up to scratch (Mori, probably Sandro, probably Klaassen, even bloody Martina) but when they're not putting the effort in they can do one.

52m currently, thats how much we have paid in managers comp since Moshiri took over.

Really? Seems a bit high to me?

Martinez - £10m?

Koeman - £8m?

Sam - £6m

Plus coaching staff/Walsh/Brands/Silva - fees adding up to I'd say £12m total... ballpark. Around £40m I'd get?

Ah, I forgot the comp to S'ton and Palace as well

Nothing wrong with buying a player knowing full well we will have got shot of the magical 10 or so players come August 31st or whenever the window shuts.

Everything from the club at present - from Brands comments to those in the press to the complete lack of action points towards a situation where Moshiri aint putting another penny into transfers after last seasons debacle and its a case of "sell before you buy".

Those who argue differently are doing so purely on blind faith and hope.

As said im a glass half full but im also a realist - the evidence of Moshiri being a half decent owner is that he has so far put his money where his mouth is in comparison to other clubs owners like Southampton selling VVD and barely investing any money in transfers.

Im confident BMD will go through as this has been in the pipeline for months now and too many people stand to get rich out of it.

Im reserving judgement until Brands and Silva make their first move - until then im not pretending all is rosey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back