Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Utd finished second with Ashley Young at LB.
Spurs then with Ben Davies first choice.
Liverpool with the aggressive but far from rapid Robertson.

It's a myth you need to be rapid at full back. You need quality on the ball and a great delivery. Of which Baines has both.
Young is better attacking than what Baines is now, Davies is one of the best left backs in the league, as is Robertson who's also quite fast.

It's not Baines lack of pace is just is inability to get up and down like he use to, never been the strongest defensively and his once great delivery is rather poor these days.

Didn't see the game but I know USA played 3 at the back with Robinson as a wing back. As I said, I'd be reasonably happy with this arrangement but it is unlikely, from what we've heard and seen so far, that Silva will play this formation very often.

All reports I've seen on the game suggest Robinson applied himself very well and was not in the slightest overawed by playing against Mbappe, Dembele & Co. Even Tim Vickery gave him the thumbs up.;)
I thought he did OK, pretty raw but something to work with. Nowhere near as good as Baines at that age but has a big margin for improvement with the right coaching.

He was dropped for a big chunk of last season as well at Bolton. Probably another loan may be best, doesnt seem like he is at a level to be a first teamer yet... But im sure Silva and Brands know best!

Despite the usual “looking at our own players first” approach, there are certain players who can and should be shipped out without being given the once over.

Mirallas
Martina
Williams

Similarly, we definitely need a centre back. 100%.

So that’s something we should be cracking on with ahead of their return to training on 2nd July.
Martina, may be hard to find a taker,
Mirallas, we will probably have to subsidise the wage of anybody who will take him on,
Williams, injured at the moment, possibly the easiest of the three to shift.
Bolasie, I think there would be takers for him but it would involve a substantial loss for us. I am not convinced that he is a player that Silva desperately wants to move on, he may feel that he could contribute something .

Didn't see the game but I know USA played 3 at the back with Robinson as a wing back. As I said, I'd be reasonably happy with this arrangement but it is unlikely, from what we've heard and seen so far, that Silva will play this formation very often.

All reports I've seen on the game suggest Robinson applied himself very well and was not in the slightest overawed by playing against Mbappe, Dembele & Co. Even Tim Vickery gave him the thumbs up.;)
He was quite good, actually. He coukd certainly be an understudy, but the issue is with the starter. Baines is past it. Can't get forward lacks quickness and is a pedestrian defending quick wingers. Delivery is still there, but that's about it.

Baines is one of about three players in the squad who is comfortable being given the ball anywhere and can use it well. It would be an extreme case of throwing the baby out with the bathwater to lose him from the squad altogether to replace him with someone who did OK for a team at the bottom of the Championship on the basis that he's faster.

Do we want him to? He's a great passer, which we could use, but he's get another player without pace. He wouldn't be the worst backup to Siggy I guess.

I think we'll be shifting many midfielders this summer, we'll need to bring in a couple more. If we do get him then the link up between him & Tosun would be something to look out for.

I thought he did OK, pretty raw but something to work with. Nowhere near as good as Baines at that age but has a big margin for improvement with the right coaching.

He was dropped for a big chunk of last season as well at Bolton. Probably another loan may be best, doesnt seem like he is at a level to be a first teamer yet... But im sure Silva and Brands know best!
Not sure he's that far behind Baines at the same age. Wigan were in the championship when he was 20, albeit they were promoted that season. But Baines then had a further 2 seasons in the premier league before we bought him, and still struggled initially before making the position his own.

Another loan to the championship next season may be the best way forward for him as you suggest, but I'd like to see him in a team fighting for promotion rather than relegation. I'd be happy with him being second choice here provided we brought in a new left back. Baines's injury problems will only get worse, not better, and I wouldn't like to see him over exposed in a 4 man defence at this stage. Still only 20 though and am still hopeful he'll make it here. He has pace and a decent left foot which is are the basics for a modern day left back.

Baines is one of about three players in the squad who is comfortable being given the ball anywhere and can use it well. It would be an extreme case of throwing the baby out with the bathwater to lose him from the squad altogether to replace him with someone who did OK for a team at the bottom of the Championship on the basis that he's faster.

Baines is a decent footballer , I like having as many of those in the team as possible. He is old and needs to be replaced , but, there are so many other priorities in my opinion that need addressing . Baines and Coleman totally transformed our team when they came back in a baines had some decent games towards the end

Martina, may be hard to find a taker,
Mirallas, we will probably have to subsidise the wage of anybody who will take him on,
Williams, injured at the moment, possibly the easiest of the three to shift.
Bolasie, I think there would be takers for him but it would involve a substantial loss for us. I am not convinced that he is a player that Silva desperately wants to move on, he may feel that he could contribute something .
The fact that Brands has publicly stated that Lookman needs to be " moved up " into the first team full time, surely spells the end of Bolasie at Everton, hence the Newcastle rumours.

He just doesn`t add anything, apart from step overs, to the team anymore.

Utd finished second with Ashley Young at LB.
Spurs then with Ben Davies first choice.
Liverpool with the aggressive but far from rapid Robertson.

It's a myth you need to be rapid at full back. You need quality on the ball and a great delivery. Of which Baines has both.
And to be able to defend........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back