Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
??

No one is saying we shouldn't; the problem is it doesn't show DCL in a better light either way. I'd love him to be, or even show signs of becoming, a 20 league goal a season striker, even a 10-12 goal a season striker or someone with an obvious role in the side; but he doesn't seem to have any real strengths.

Very tenuous I'll concede immediately, but one of the things you have seen a lot of is articles saying our strikers where they have had areas of weakness staying for extra training and 'working hard to fix' articles. Tosun, Niasse, even Lukaku. Are we seeing that drive for improvement from DCL?

i think really you should compare him to other sides 2nd/3rd choice centre forward as that what he is for us.

better record than iheanacho (same age and commanded a £25m fee
better record than Solanke (golden ball at u20 world cup, touted as one of the best), also a better record than Origi last season at the RS
before rashfords 2 goals vrs liverpool a better record than him
better record than Welbeck
Giroud has 8 goals in 34 apps this season, calvert lewin has 8 in 37 (Not massivly worse)
better record than Llorente

Tierney has played right back for Scotland, although I can't recall seeing him play CB

Yes mate, but i'm talking about in a serious competitive game, not against Andorra or the Shetland Isles

Mourinho won't be looking at a handful of games for scotland and thinking - wow he's so versatile, i can stick this 20yo 5'10 lad in at cb/

I know you really like Tierney mate, but in what world does it make sense for Mourinho to go out and buy him - when he's probably got 2 seasons maximum left - and there is not a chance on Earth given a choice of who he can bring in that he has at United that he goes 'I'll have that young Scottish lad - forget the lad at his peak playing in a top division/CL' etc

6 goals, 8 assists in 25 games sounds a lot better than 41 games so I’ll disagree about painting it in a better light.

Possibly, I dunno, there’s just something different about him. He isn’t particularly hyped by fans of our team or other teams but he’s seemingly rated massively by every manager and coach he’s had.

I’d just worry about selling him because he isn’t prolific now and then it biting us further down the line.

Six goals in 25 games isn't good though, is it, for a striker, in terms of goals per minute or goals per game.

8 assists - again, not what you'd call stellar. Are they all open play and not winning penalties etc. ?

Rated massively? In what sense? As soon as our manager - whoever incumbent at the time - has a viable alternative he gets dropped. He's essentially Cuco Martina upfront.

He's not rated by fans here and elsewhere for a fairly straightforward reason.

i think really you should compare him to other sides 2nd/3rd choice centre forward as that what he is for us.

better record than iheanacho (same age and commanded a £25m fee
better record than Solanke (golden ball at u20 world cup, touted as one of the best), also a better record than Origi last season at the RS
before rashfords 2 goals vrs liverpool a better record than him
better record than Welbeck
Giroud has 8 goals in 34 apps this season, calvert lewin has 8 in 37 (Not massivly worse)
better record than Llorente

But with the exception of Giroud, I wouldn't want any of those upfront for Everton either.

I don't think the names mentioned by you will substantially improve us, some of them may be an upgrade but not by a lot.
I think that Smalling is probably the only one I would be happy with as I think he is a good defender and at a good age.

I think Williams, Schneiderlin, Mirallas and Besic will leave this summer. Martina will probably stay as cover in case of injuries or suspensions and is probably not hugely expensive.
I think Jagielka may leave as he probably won't want to spend possibly his last premiership season just sitting on a bench. However, I would be glad to keep him as an experienced back up centre half .
Robles is out of contract and I think Niasse will leave as well .
Sandro , if he can find a club .

That is probably anything up to ten players from the first team squad off the payroll and I think we will see a lot of the under 23s go as well...Williams, Galloway, Browning, Pennington, Connolly to name just five.
Good post mate.

DCL, Dowell and possibly Davies out on loan next season.
If you're going to do that you might as well just get rid. DCL and Davies especially. What makes you think that, given the game time they've both had in the premier, they will learn anything whatsoever in a lower division.

What they need is to have their game time in the premier league managed more effectively than it has been. It means rotating them more and playing them in in games and positions that suit their style. For instance, in games at home against lower opposition I'd like to see DCL played alongside Tosun in attack. Half of DCLs games have come out wide where he is totally ineffective.

Six goals in 25 games isn't good though, is it, for a striker, in terms of goals per minute or goals per game.

8 assists - again, not what you'd call stellar. Are they all open play and not winning penalties etc. ?

Rated massively? In what sense? As soon as our manager - whoever incumbent at the time - has a viable alternative he gets dropped. He's essentially Cuco Martina upfront.

8 assists for a striker is pretty good not sure why you think otherwise. None of those are winning penalties either.

Well he’s not scoring but an article from a manager or coach - whether ours or internationally - pops up almost daily praising him.

Can’t be just because his bird is fit.

You wouldn’t want Rashford here in DCL’s place as 2nd/3rd choice. Think people need to remember Tosun is the main man now.

Edit: Sorry, read your post further down.

But that's it - I do get that he's 2nd / 3rd choice. I just think two things: he'll never be good enough to be a first choice on talent alone and that our backup options need to be a lot better than what he currently offers.

Think we are at an impasse so let's see what happens

Winning a penalty doesn't actually count as an assist brother.

8 assists without those in consideration. Although I think it's 9 assists now after that off the bum pass to Tosun.

We are talking about DCL boy wonder right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back