Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
It isn't about sentiment mate. It's about development of the player. As I said, neither are ready to be regular starters in the premier. But both are among the best players in the country in their age groups and have potential. Question is do we try and do that here, which means using them as part of our first team squad, or do we just let them go.

In answer to the players improvement this season. Davies is no. DCL is definitely. But both have been overplayed and their game time going forward needs to be better managed.
DCL is a really frustrating one for me. if had got himself another 5+ goals then it would be a no brainer to persist with him.

his chances look less likely now that Tosun seems to be firing, which is what we need from ALL our strikers when they play.

DCL doesn't guarantee goals. unfortunately

there is no room for sentiment in football unfortunately ..

decisions have to be made.

is Davies what we need right here and now ??

is DCL what we need right here and now?

have they both improved enough over this season ??

I'm not so sure
You're right mandem. Both are nowhere near the level we apparently are aiming for. They are merely promising youngsters who should go out and learn their trade and come back with a good season of week-in week-out football under their belts.

It isn't about sentiment mate. It's about development of the player. As I said, neither are ready to be regular starters in the premier. But both are among the best players in the country in their age groups and have potential. Question is do we try and do that here, which means using them as part of our first team squad, or do we just let them go.

In answer to the players improvement this season. Davies is no. DCL is definitely. But both have been overplayed and their game time going forward needs to be better managed.
I just don't think we are in a position to carry talented yet not-quite-at-the-level-needed youngsters. If we are supposed to be improving our squad this summer, you could easily make an argument for neither of them even being good enough to sit on our bench next season. As I posted above, I feel a full year playing each week would do them the world of good and see them progress far quicker than the odd cameo for us.

Now Kenny, I wouldn't send him out as we have no cover at right back apart from Martina who'll hopefully be sold this summer anyway. Same goes for Lookman, as we only have Bolasie and Walnut as wide players.

Central midfield and up front, however, we are and will be more than stocked in come the end of the summer.

DCL is a really frustrating one for me. if had got himself another 5+ goals then it would be a no brainer to persist with him.

his chances look less likely now that Tosun seems to be firing, which is what we need from ALL our strikers when they play.

DCL doesn't guarantee goals. unfortunately
No he doesn't. But he turned 21 only last week. How many strikers were guaranteeing goals at the top level at that age.? I don't know why everybody thinks he should be.

That is one of the sides to his game that needs developing, and the only way to do that is to challenge him and help him learn from playing and training alongside proven goal scorers.

You're right mandem. Both are nowhere near the level we apparently are aiming for. They are merely promising youngsters who should go out and learn their trade and come back with a good season of week-in week-out football under their belts.

I just don't think we are in a position to carry talented yet not-quite-at-the-level-needed youngsters. If we are supposed to be improving our squad this summer, you could easily make an argument for neither of them even being good enough to sit on our bench next season. As I posted above, I feel a full year playing each week would do them the world of good and see them progress far quicker than the odd cameo for us.

Now Kenny, I wouldn't send him out as we have no cover at right back apart from Martina who'll hopefully be sold this summer anyway. Same goes for Lookman, as we only have Bolasie and Walnut as wide players.

Central midfield and up front, however, we are and will be more than stocked in come the end of the summer.
Tom Davies has 53 premier appearances and DCL 36. They will not be challenged by going to play in a lower league and will not develop at Villa or anywhere else. The best they will become is decent Championship players. To develop they need to be challenged and be playing and training alongside top class players who they can learn from.

I'm sorry we disagree on this but there you go.

Definite leavers regardless of manager:
  • Mirallas - £7-10m
  • Sandro - £10-15m
  • Besic - £5m
  • Schneiderlin - £20m
Ideally we will get rid of Williams, Martina, DCL (on loan) and Niasse (£15m). Hopefully the new manager wants to ship out Bolasie if we can get £15-20m for him - would palace buy him back?

Tom Davies has 53 premier appearances and DCL 36. They will not be challenged by going to play in a lower league and will not develop at Villa or anywhere else. The best they will become is decent Championship players. To develop they need to be challenged and be playing and training alongside top class players who they can learn from.

Agreed. We've had a good look at these lads, you either keep them or get shut under these circumstances. It's different for Dowell, Connolly and the like as they haven't been tested at the top level yet.

I still respect you bro.

gallery_2403_13_16803.jpg

OUT:
Galloway - free
Browning - free
Jagielka - free
Williams - 3m
Martina - 1m
Besic - 5m
Schneiderlin - 15m
Mirallas - 3m
Robles - free
Sandro - 5m
Klaassen - 10m
= 42m transfer fees + about 450k a week wages

Up to the club to decide who we bring in to start at CB, CM and hopefully on the wing to push Bolasie onto the bench, plus obviously more competition within the squad hopefully up front and maybe a promising youngster or two.

Agreed. We've had a good look at these lads, you either keep them or get shut under these circumstances. It's different for Dowell, Connolly and the like as they haven't been tested at the top level yet.
Agree mate. Think Dowell, Connolly, Williams and Robinson all needed a spell in competitive football before we have a look at them in the first team. Given the number of youngsters already in the squad I'd probably only introduce couple next season. Dowell certainly and possibly Connolly for his versatility. Think I'd send Robinson out again and Williams possibly sell. Wouldn't be against Beni going out on loan too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back