Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're going to do that you might as well just get rid. DCL and Davies especially. What makes you think that, given the game time they've both had in the premier, they will learn anything whatsoever in a lower division.

What they need is to have their game time in the premier league managed more effectively than it has been. It means rotating them more and playing them in in games and positions that suit their style. For instance, in games at home against lower opposition I'd like to see DCL played alongside Tosun in attack. Half of DCLs games have come out wide where he is totally ineffective.
DCL is a League One player who has been unbelievable thrown into our starting XI and pretty much fluffed most of his easy chances and bagged a couple of goals. He's shown lots of endeavour, I'll give him that, and he's a tryer for sure, but he's not good enough to be "rotated" in his natural position. We need players in their prime playing and getting us up the table, not the likes of DCL and Davies whose best days are five years away. Sorry for being blunt but no room for sentiment towards young English guys any more.

DCL is a League One player who has been unbelievable thrown into our starting XI and pretty much fluffed most of his easy chances and bagged a couple of goals. He's shown lots of endeavour, I'll give him that, and he's a tryer for sure, but he's not good enough to be "rotated" in his natural position. We need players in their prime playing and getting us up the table, not the likes of DCL and Davies whose best days are five years away. Sorry for being blunt but no room for sentiment towards young English guys any more.
Yeap.

But that's it - I do get that he's 2nd / 3rd choice. I just think two things: he'll never be good enough to be a first choice on talent alone and that our backup options need to be a lot better than what he currently offers.

Think we are at an impasse so let's see what happens

Yeh it’s all moot really till another year or two down the line.

Winning a penalty doesn't actually count as an assist brother.

8 assists without those in consideration. Although I think it's 9 assists now after that off the bum pass to Tosun.

We are talking about DCL boy wonder right?

I know re. The penalty thing mate, that's relic from the Snivelley days when it got really desperate

When you are at the stage that Davies and DCL are, you either develop them yourself or you get shut and let somebody else do it. Both will just go backwards if we sent them on loan to a lower division so there's absolutely no point in that.

Both of those players are not yet ready to be regular premier starters and both have been played far too much this season. That's partly down to poor management of the squad and partly down to poor selection. However there are very few players their age getting as much game time in the premier and they have proven that in their age groups they are amongst the best players in the country. DCL scored the winner in a world cup final ffs, and Davies has been the long term England captain of group that are even more highly regarded. So you have to assume that we have here 2 players with a lot of potential.

Personally I would prefer to keep hold of both players next season to try and develop that potential ourselves, with proper management of their game time. Neither would be starters and with DCL I'd actually bring in another striker to the squad which would make him third choice. He'd still get plenty of game time for his age, and would be training daily and learning from (hopefully) good strikers at the top of their game.

Or we could just sell them.

When you are at the stage that Davies and DCL are, you either develop them yourself or you get shut and let somebody else do it. Both will just go backwards if we sent them on loan to a lower division so there's absolutely no point in that.

Both of those players are not yet ready to be regular premier starters and both have been played far too much this season. That's partly down to poor management of the squad and partly down to poor selection. However there are very few players their age getting as much game time in the premier and they have proven that in their age groups they are amongst the best players in the country. DCL scored the winner in a world cup final ffs, and Davies has been the long term England captain of group that are even more highly regarded. So you have to assume that we have here 2 players with a lot of potential.

Personally I would prefer to keep hold of both players next season to try and develop that potential ourselves, with proper management of their game time. Neither would be starters and with DCL I'd actually bring in another striker to the squad which would make him third choice. He'd still get plenty of game time for his age, and would be training daily and learning from (hopefully) good strikers at the top of their game.

You make good arguments. I think they'd benefit from playing for a good team in the Championship next season. Send 'um to Villa if they fail to get promoted.

What your saying is of course correct but it is only worthy of merit if we get in a coach(rather than a manager) who is more a pep/poch type with a proven record of developing players and making them better. There is no point whatsoever in putting them under another season of Allardyce who just has no interest in young players, he just wants premier league vets and has-beens.

there is no room for sentiment in football unfortunately ..

decisions have to be made.

is Davies what we need right here and now ??

is DCL what we need right here and now?

have they both improved enough over this season ??

I'm not so sure

What your saying is of course correct but it is only worthy of merit if we get in a coach(rather than a manager) who is more a pep/poch type with a proven record of developing players and making them better. There is no point whatsoever in putting them under another season of Allardyce who just has no interest in young players, he just wants premier league vets and has-beens.
Oh I agree fully mate. If we keep Allardyce past the summer we might as well get shut of all our young players as they'll just stagnate with us. I'd rather, for their sakes, let them go to a club who are prepared to develop them.

Maybe sell them with a buy back clause inserted just in case we ever appoint a decent manager in the future.

there is no room for sentiment in football unfortunately ..

decisions have to be made.

is Davies what we need right here and now ??

is DCL what we need right here and now?

have they both improved enough over this season ??

I'm not so sure
It isn't about sentiment mate. It's about development of the player. As I said, neither are ready to be regular starters in the premier. But both are among the best players in the country in their age groups and have potential. Question is do we try and do that here, which means using them as part of our first team squad, or do we just let them go.

In answer to the players improvement this season. Davies is no. DCL is definitely. But both have been overplayed and their game time going forward needs to be better managed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back