Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
i can't work it out either tbh, two speedy wingers either side of gylfi feeding walcott could be very exciting, but i think we need to splash big on a top marksman if i'm honest.

Tosun’s decent enough but you’re right we need a top class forward. The issue is who? There’s not that many that are proven to score goals and even the best strikers from abroad struggle here at times.

I’d rather either go for an expensive but proven player like Vardy or give Walcott a chance and splash out on wingers. An expensive flop up top could be really bad for us unless we get lucky.

Counter attacking with Walcott up top, Lookman and a new talented winger with Gylfi behind them could make us overachieve massively.

Taken in the most respectful.
I don't think he's trying to fool anyonebut it does him no harm if other clubs show interest - that's assuming we're actually interested.
I think rumours of other clubs interest are usually put out by agents who are either trying to get a better deal at their current club, or trying to give their client a better profile by linking them with a bigger club (you'll often see a player linked with us who then signs for a Championship club or someone in the Dutch league or something, who then announce it as a coup as if they've beaten us to the signing). I'm not sure that using us as bait would really work with a club like United, because they know full well that they could wait for the deal to be all but done and still get him because he'd drop us like a stone as soon as they called.

As I said above, I was just saying that it wasn't a completely irrelevant discussion in the transfer thread, seeing as we had been strongly linked with him over recent months. Also worth pointing out that it's been an open secret that Brands was coming for at least 2 months now, and there have been other names mentioned (Fabra for example) who people believe would be a Brands signing, despite the links starting way before we announced him.

Lets resurrect the Witsel shouts then.

Lets resurrect the Witsel shouts then.
You can if you want mate, it's a public forum after all so people will pretty much discuss all sorts in here. We've all seen you throw random players names in here without us being linked with them (or most people even having heard of them) and most people enjoy that because it stimulates discussion. I'm not sure why this is any different.

I don't think we NEED a reserve keeper. Stekelenberg is a perfectly adequate back up. It's a hard sell that one anyway. Nobody with any hopes to do anything with his career is going to come and sit behind England's number one, especially as he is still only a kid himself.

in all seriousness, just go get Boaz Myhill or someone like that, Newcastle have like 5 goalies and none of them are no.1 material. Just take one of them, Rob elliot or Karl Darlow

Stekelenburg is a poor keeper. If anyone cares to check the vaults i explained that when he left Holland he nosedived dramatically.

The fact is that if Pickford got injured or had a bad run of form you need to have an option there;

1-- Experienced keeper whose happy to take the money and sit on the bench.

2-- Someone like the 19 year old ukrainian weve been linked to who could push pickford everyday to try and take his position. If he turns out better then he takes pickfords spot...if he does well but isnt at pickfords level we can sell and make a profit in the future and repeat the cycle.

Should be competition in EVERY position at every level of the clubm

I think it’s adorable that Unsworth thinks we are going to conduct transfers for the U23 team like it’s some independent functioning entity. That’s so cute.

Well, it may be that the team has a few players who can potentially play for the first team but he needs a 'proven at that level' couple of players to help their development--could be a forward whose found his level who can knock in some goals to boost confidence...those types may never get into the first team but are worth it short term.

I've never been on the Rose hype train as such, but he was the best left-back in the league in 2016/17.

Definitely worth £20-25m in this market. And he'd improve us massively.

In fact, isn't signing players in their prime years from clubs above us what our fans want us to do?

I don't think we are in for him, though.

Hes a tricky one as if he reached his pre injury level hed be decent for a few seasons...BUT we could split the fee and wages for 2 potentially great younger lads

Wonder would Monaco want to spend some money on schnederlin to replace fabinho. Come on brands, work some magic

They use the Brands model...most likely would be Marseille.

Selling Niasse would be a great start especially if we can get in the region of £15m for him (people doubt it but find me a player with his half decent prem record who’s available for less - I’ll wait).

Not sure why people are against getting Rose? We probably have no chance. He’s a level above us so to turn down the idea is madness in my opinion.

Rose - new CB or even Jags - Keane - Coleman would be a great back line.

Then people saying no to Vardy as well? For the right price (which I doubt would happen) he’d be a brilliant alternative to Cenk. Very different style players who both are proven to score goals. If we had the chance to sell Niasse for £15m and bought Vardy for £30m I’d snap it up even at his age.

He scored 20 PL goals last season and would be great playing for Silva. Who else could we get that guarantees goals like he does? lol

EDIT: Not to mention that he seems to score in the big games.

Vardy - Same type of signing as Williams.

Niasse - if we got £15mil its worth selling him to invest in a potential superstar...add a heap on top and go for it!!

We can but hope
I think the next 2/3 transfer windows will be very similar to a Zatara wet dream

Funny you say that...one of my picks for greatness is Issa Diop from Toulouse. I sent PMs to a few people here a year ago saying we were approaching a few french and spanish teams about certain players...he was one of them.

Collossus of a player...potentially world class.

some turkish paper saying we've offered besiktas klassen on loan

Needs a good season on loan for us to put him on the market and get a decent amount back.

Because he guarantees goals mate. If we're selling Niasse, then we'd kind of guarantee we had a similar kind of player in Vardy, I suppose.

His pace isn't gonna disappear overnight.

I'm not advocating it, but if he was an option I could see why we might be interested.

I think there's other areas to target though and would rather see us spend big on a quality CB/CM as well.

Pace doesnt diaappear overnight?

Sylvain Distin.

I actually think Rose is the type of signing that would make people sit up and take notice. Englands first choice left back, twice named in the PFA team of the year and a regular for a Spurs side which has been one of the leagues most consistent sides for the last few years. I was genuinely surprised when I saw him linked with us so I'm pretty sure the wider world would be.

Despite all that, i'm not sure that dropping £30m+ on a left back is going to solve too many of our problems so I don't know if it's a goer.

Why would we want people to sit up and take notice? Thats what Man Utd are doing with some signings and look how those are turning out...

arias from psv would be great cover for coleman

JonJoe Kenny.

The most important things for any of the signings we make this summer is the attitude of being a winner, not soft who allows others to bully them, and a bit of snide agression :) For too long we've signed the mr nice guys who don't want to ruffle a feather in case they hurt the oppositions feelings or their fans ;-(

I mentioned Diop above. Centre back and captain of Toulouse at 21.

The Ramos performance and subsequent adulation has reminded people about the difference a winner makes in the team.

We have Coleman as the only experienced player (aside from Pickford) who has leadership qualities and will to win.

Players like Klaassen, Williams and Sigurdsson who were club captains when we signed them are not the same mentality as a Tim Cahill / Coleman etc.

We have to bring in a couple of winners...or players with a winning mentality who will do anything to win

The idea was sound but the player type wasnt.

Replace Jags Bainea williams klaassen etc with warriors who are quality players...find the NEXT Ramos..etc

You can if you want mate, it's a public forum after all so people will pretty much discuss all sorts in here. We've all seen you throw random players names in here without us being linked with them (or most people even having heard of them) and most people enjoy that because it stimulates discussion. I'm not sure why this is any different.

Couple of posts discussion vs couple of pages. I don’t have an issue with it I just think a player like Vardy isn’t worth discussing as we’d never go for him now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back