Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
The way I see it, RLC has been mucked around with by Chelsea for years

He's shown he's deserved a place in that team since way back in Mourinho's second reign as manager

Because of that, I could see him wanting out if for no other reason than to stick it to them

I say we get in nice and early with a strong bid and offer him a good deal

There's absolutely no requirement to get rid of Gana.

He's excellent at the job he does. Put him in a position where his job is simply to sweep up and give it to a player better on the ball, then he's excellent.
I disagree none of the top teams have a player as limited as gana.

There seems to be a new position in football now, where all you have to do is run around trying to win the ball and you don’t have to do anything else.

You don’t have to score or assist, or play great forward passes. When we concede it’s never your fault. What a great Job if you can get it.

Defour went to Burnley from Anderlecht in 2016 because he knew Premier League football was his best chance of regaining his plac in the Belgium squad...and he succeeded after half a dozen good displays for the Clarets.

The alternative was a big-money move to China or the middle-east and little chance of further international recognition.
Agreed

That's where Silva's adaptability and flexibility will be tested

Those saying he's just another Martinez would be disproved somewhat if he could show tactical flexibility and create a system that suits them, rather than trying to get them to suit a system

Yeah definitely. The four players listed would certainly be very very far down the list of players i'd want rid of. In fact pretty much the rest of the squad bar Pickford and those 4 i'd be fine losing really.

There seems to be a new position in football now, where all you have to do is run around trying to win the ball and you don’t have to do anything else.

You don’t have to score or assist, or play great forward passes. When we concede it’s never your fault. What a great Job if you can get it.

That doesn't stop Gana being excellent at his job though.

We've confused things far too much with him. Put him as the base in a 4-3-3 and he works because he has the mobility to cover the entire defence, allowing the full-back's to get forward.

The one thing he lacks is the ability on the ball and that's why you have another midfielder who is able to drop a bit deeper and get on the ball.

However, if we can get a player in who does a bit of both then we should, as that means neither of them have to play every single game as a guaranteed starter - it will come down to merit.

You've never liked Gana and I don't understand why.

Who's he likely to buy from Watford?
Most managers have form for buying from their last club. Hughes or Capoue would be likely. Richarlison would be the best of the lot but I'd imagine he'd go for big bucks, and we won't have the cash after last seasons wastage.

I agree that Gana's not the level you need if you're trying to win the league but the truth is, we're not are we? He would be a long, long way down the list of players we need to replace in our current position.

Who's he likely to buy from Watford?
Most managers have form for buying from their last club. Hughes or Capoue would be likely. Richarlison would be the best of the lot but I'd imagine he'd go for big bucks, and we won't have the cash after last seasons wastage.

Nobody.

They won't do any deals with us - or if they did we'll have to pay double, at least.

Doucoure would be the only one and he'd be by far the best for us - he covers two players we need in one.

Capoue isn't likely at all. Silva bombed him out quite a bit.

He may go back for Andre Carrillo if Watford don't take up the chance to make his loan from Benfica permanent.

But who to buy will most likely come down to Brands. Silva will have just had discussions over the type of player wanted etc

I’d rather get rid of gana, because he can’t defend or attack. So he runs around a lot and puts a few tackles in. So does Davies and McCarthy. Our midfield is the worst it’s been in years.

And from a technical and ability point of view Carvalho is streets ahead of gana.

Gana can’t defend? That’s just plain wrong, the stats will tell you that as well as the eye test.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back