Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he showed in the first half he could cut it. He was their stand out player, but playing 50 games in one season compared to what 15 games for the u23's is a vast difference and maybe he tired? That was the same as Joe Williams who started off well at Barnsley, but their fans were saying he looks tired and he eventually got injured, Connolly and Robinson had strong finishes but they weren't in the team for most of the first half of the season.

He wouldn't get into the Chelsea, Arsenal or Spurs sides, but he wouldn't get in ours ahead of Sigurdsson, but playing him off the bench and in cups will help him progress as a player. He's technically good enough just needs to be helped into a good enough player for us and those teams.
Connolly played 34 games fir Ipswich. And from reading the Ipswich throughout the season, he game across as very consistent.

He's a good DOF who I rate highly myself however this league is a totally different ball game than Holland and for all the scouting and bargain signings (which he'll no doubt aim for) we still have to sign proven quality alongside those 1-2 scouting signings and that costs money in the current market. Even foreign signings now are going for daft fee's - Fekir £55 million, Allison - £80 million, Willian Jose £50 million.

I fear the fans are just happy we have a bloke who has a decent track record of finding bargain diamonds when we still have to go out and spend big (and wisely) to do anything in this league.

Anyone expecting EFC to sign 5x £10 million players who'll all be £50 million quality just isnt realistic and shouldn't be accepted if we want to achieve anything higher than 10th.
Why would we expect to spend only 50 million?

Sales from transfers alone, plus revenue from TV will mean we can spend about 80 million on players without Moshiri investing a dime. This has been talked about time and time again...

Why would we expect to spend only 50 million?

Sales from transfers alone, plus revenue from TV will mean we can spend about 80 million on players without Moshiri investing a dime. This has been talked about time and time again...

Because all ive heard is "we dont have to spend big thats why Brands was brought in for" when that's completely untrue. Our aim should be for Brands on on average to unearth us a gem on the cheap 1 in every say 2 or so transfer windows whilst we still spend money on proven quality.

So, if Doucoure was signed (or similar)who would you partner him with?

If we went and signed somebody, I'd like it to be someone like Torreira or Ozyakup - somebody who can act as the deep-lying playmaker but can also get about a bit. Then we'd have Gueye and Davies as rotation options, assuming Schneiderlin and Klassen are shipped off in this scenario. Another option could be someone like Ziyech.

But, if we do indeed get Maddison, I can't see us signing another 'creative' midfielder.

Connolly played 34 games fir Ipswich. And from reading the Ipswich throughout the season, he game across as very consistent.

They loved Connolly at Town. And yep he was their most consistent player in a very inconsistent team.

Played most of his games as a defensive mid which might shock a few who didn’t know, but did well in a tough league. Even slotted a couple of times.

How big actually is our squad, compared to other teams in the league? Can anyone be arsed to do some research? Coz I can’t.

Because all ive heard is "we dont have to spend big thats why Brands was brought in for" when that's completely untrue. Our aim should be for Brands on on average to unearth us a gem on the cheap 1 in every say 2 or so transfer windows whilst we still spend money on proven quality.

Come on Ross, don’t let your bench time at Chelsea turn you bitter and jaded.

Get rid of 2 or 3 to bring a quality 1 for that position.
Williams, Mori, Garbutt, Martina for Diop and a left full (Joe Bryan)
Besic, Schneiderlin, Klaassen(?) for Carvalho(?)
Bolasie, Tarashaj, Rooney for Lozano
Another goalkeeper will be needed and a striker, going in with DCL and Niasse as backup is not good enough.

Ours is like 38 players.

Off the top of my head I remember reading Chelsea is like 24 or something.
That is indeed true. We have 40 players listed on the website as first team, though that includes Conor Grant and Mangala so its 38. Chelsea has 24 listed. Man City has 27. Arsenal has 24. Remember, all of these teams are also in Europe so need bigger squads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back