Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
I won't be panicking this summer. Yes I no doubt will be frustrated at times. But this club is a mess. The two people currently in charge are not the culprits so they get time from me. We hopefully repair a good lot of the damage this summer. 4 good in comings would do just that IMO. But this is a real hash to be dealing with. And it's going to take at least to this time next year to have us looking remotely like a well balanced, ambitious and threatening football team again.

Seems like Vestergaard is off to saints for 18m - which doesn't seem outrageous (How much was Keane ?).

Getting rid of DCL or Davies at this point would be nuts.

I would urge a little caution in the frustration of fans. Without any shadow of a doubt there is an attempt to downplay expectations, be much stricter with money and remove many of the players earning bigger salaries off the wage bill. There is some suggestion that a figure around 20-25 million pounds has to be taken off the wage bill, although not a clear indication of whether we can then replenish this value up with new players once done.

How far this is posturing and how far Moshiri has insisted that players must leave before others come in will be open to interpretation and only really clear come the end of the window. What will not be clear is how agreeable this strategy was to Brands/Silva before joining which will certainly be important.

If the position is the wage bill has to be 20 million lower come the start of the season (also say 120 million) then I will say many supporters will be extremely underwhelmed. I am not sure or confident we will be able to shift enough players in time to get to that figure by the start of August, never mind get below to allow for enough flexibility for Brands to add the sort of quality players we need to improve.

Given we ended up with 49 points and a very experienced manager to lead us away from a dogfight it would be an enormous risk in my view, to lose 10/12 players without signing replacements. We saw last season how seasons can spiral and it would take a lot less of a drop for us to get sucked into a dogfight again.

That's very much the doomsday scenario and it may well be that we are tightening, watching every penny closely, moving on lads we don't need and ensuring the ones we bring in provide value. It may be that Silva is very aware of the situation and knows he initially needs to take time to work with players he has and certainly until we get the ship turning in the right direction things will be tight. It may be that the austerity we see this summer is a more long term trend, the "new model" Brands spoke of.

It will be very difficult for Everton to compete to win things with a wage bill around 120 million p/a. It's not impossible though, but for the club to do that it would need to look and act radically different to what it does currently. Players will be moved on more regularly and younger players will be sought more aggressively. Monaco and Athletico use this system though nobody in England has utilised it and it would be extremely brave for a team to try, with likely much anger.

There is a question on Moshiri in all of this. A quick calculation has us spending around 60 million net since he arrived. I am not sure how much the wage bill would have grown by to get to 120 million. However there is a very legitimate point to say, having inherited a club in 11th, to suggest we were just 60 million pounds and a modest increase in wages away from being a top team would have been a ludicrous suggestion. I'm really not sure what his thinking was.

I’m completely happy for this season to be a complete non-event if it’s needed to help rectify the financial damage of last season.

Exactly this. The mistakes of previous years (last year in the main) are so horrific I cannot see them being fixed this quickly.

It will be hard, as we will probably be a bit crap next season, but it's hugely unrealistic to want it fixed right this second.

Everton fans aren't famed for their patience, I'm not usually either really, but we have to be here.

Who knows? Maybe we'll get a nice surprise.

I’m completely happy for this season to be a complete non-event if it’s needed to help rectify the financial damage of last season.
Genuine question though, do you go to the games?

If you don't then I can see the logic in what you're saying, because it makes no odds to you. It does to me though, because I don't find spending a load of time and money on going to watch a team which has decided it has no interest in competing to be a particularly appealing prospect. Last season was awful as a matchgoing fan, and another one like that would sap the energy of the fanbase to a dangerous extent in my opinion. Fans will be patient if they believe it's going to be worth it in the end, but there's only so many kicks in the teeth they'll accept.

Exactly this. The mistakes of previous years (last year in the main) are so horrific I cannot see them being fixed this quickly.

It will be hard, as we will probably be a bit crap next season, but it's hugely unrealistic to want it fixed right this second.

Everton fans aren't famed for their patience, I'm not usually either really, but we have to be here.

It’s a case of some people can’t accept how bad things are - cant understand it’s going to take time to fix or a combination of both.

The goal is to improve, can’t put a timeframe on that - it’s a continual job.

If you don't then I can see the logic in what you're saying, because it makes no odds to you. It does to me though, because I don't find spending a load of time and money on going to watch a team which has decided it has no interest in competing to be a particularly appealing prospect. Last season was awful as a matchgoing fan, and another one like that would sap the energy of the fanbase to a dangerous extent in my opinion. Fans will be patient if they believe it's going to be worth it in the end, but there's only so many kicks in the teeth they'll accept.

It's a difficult balancing act though isn't it? We all want it to be more entertaining, and it can't be that hard to produce that, even with the scumbag players we currently have.

I think as long as there are signs of hope this season that will do me. Going backwards however, is not an option.

True. Patience is a virtue and we have to show it next season. I am fairly confident that with Silvas style of play we won't finish any lower than last season but what we need to see is light at the end of the tunnel (see that we are going progressing forward). That is something we never seen with Allardyce

I’m still expect a similar position next season even if we don’t sign anyone.

It's a difficult balancing act though isn't it? We all want it to be more entertaining, and it can't be that hard to produce that, even with the scumbag players we currently have.

I think as long as there are signs of hope this season that will do me. Going backwards however, is not an option.
Yeah it definitely is and I appreciate that. I'm certainly not expecting miracles either in the transfer market or on the pitch, another season of trying to claim 7th is as good as i'm expecting. I was just commenting on the idea of being happy for it to be a complete write off, because I don't think many of us who've forked out for season tickets would necessarily agree.

Yes, I’m an ex-STH.

I understand your point but where did I say the team wouldn’t be competing on the pitch? They’re still going out there to win I just mean the club won’t be pumping money in this summer to get us nearer the Top 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back