Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer 2018 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would you guys all take Welbeck? His contract is about to run down in the end of this season in Arsenal, so would be cheap. Still only 27, could be used as either a striker or a winger, has pace and power, and also stamina, so ideal attributes for high pressing football we want to play now.

In an ideal world, I would sign him and Ramsey to replace Niasse and Schneiderlin in the end of this season. Let's spend our money on another young top talent like Richarlison or Mina (Lozano?) as well as keeping Zouma and Gomes.

Would you guys all take Welbeck? His contract is about to run down in the end of this season in Arsenal, so would be cheap. Still only 27, could be used as either a striker or a winger, has pace and power, and also stamina, so ideal attributes for high pressing football we want to play now.

In an ideal world, I would sign him and Ramsey to replace Niasse and Schneiderlin in the end of this season. Let's spend our money on another young top talent like Richarlison or Mina (Lozano?) as well as keeping Zouma and Gomes.
Not in a million years would I sign a striker who averages 1 goal every 5 premier league games and has never gone into double figures in the competition. Add to that he'd be on decent wages, would most likely expect to start and is a sick note. (Missed 82 games in 4 years for Arsenal).

I don't say this lightly but I'd rather keep that bumbling mess Niasse over signing Welbeck.

6357-ew.gif

Not in a million years would I sign a striker who averages 1 goal every 5 premier league games and has never gone into double figures in the competition. Add to that he'd be on decent wages, would most likely expect to start and is a sick note. (Missed 82 games in 4 years for Arsenal).

I don't say this lightly but I'd rather keep that bumbling mess Niasse over signing Welbeck.
Welbeck averages one PL goal every 270 minutes and one PL assist every 360 minutes for Arsenal.
Welbeck averaged one PL goal every 253 minutes and one PL assist every 390 minutes for Man Utd.

That's in fact one goal every 3 PL games. I wouldn't want us to pay any big money for him, but considering he could be a free agent soon? I say let's sell Niasse, give a part of that to Welbeck as a signing bonus and use the other part of Niasse money to fund our other transfers. As a plus we would get a better player - I still get nightmares of seeing Niasse playing winger for Roberto, but Welbeck can play there easily, even started there for England, not only once, he can defend in an unit, press defenders hard, is surely better than Niasse on the ball (but well, who isn't...) and as a plus he is a homegrown player... His wage should be fine, he is only on 70k in Arsenal, while we are paying Niasse 55k. If he accepts a similar type of money here, I think we should go for it.

Welbeck averages one PL goal every 270 minutes and one PL assist every 360 minutes for Arsenal.
Welbeck averaged one PL goal every 253 minutes and one PL assist every 390 minutes for Man Utd.

That's in fact one goal every 3 PL games. I wouldn't want us to pay any big money for him, but considering he could be a free agent soon? I say let's sell Niasse, give a part of that to Welbeck as a signing bonus and use the other part of Niasse money to fund our other transfers. As a plus we would get a better player - I still get nightmares of seeing Niasse playing winger for Roberto, but Welbeck can play there easily, even started there for England, not only once, he can defend in an unit, press defenders hard, is surely better than Niasse on the ball (but well, who isn't...) and as a plus he is a homegrown player... His wage should be fine, he is only on 70k in Arsenal, while we are paying Niasse 55k. If he accepts a similar type of money here, I think we should go for it.

Selling utter crap and using that money to buy pretty crap isn't exactly the best way to close a gap to those above us

Jelle Vossen tore the Belgian league up at the same age and looked like a world beater. He struggled in the Championship.

By he himself maybe, not by others. Jelle Vossen always considers himself underappreciated. Tbf he did never get a lot of appreciation, precisely because- he's slow, can't dribble, isn't good in the air etc. A bit like Perbet, similar player. Also crowned top-scorer in the Belgian League once. I don't think this kind of player can thrive in a very physical league.

I think a better comparison is Mitrovic, who I still like. He's got more pace than him though (but Mitrovic was more clinical). Both also have anger management issues. He's possibly even worse than Mitrovic. He punches people, deliberately elbows them in the face... He should have gotten a 6 week suspension the last time (in September), but got away because of a procedural cock-up by the Belgian FA (as usual).

By he himself maybe, not by others. Jelle Vossen always considers himself underappreciated. Tbf he did never get a lot of appreciation, precisely because- he's slow, can't dribble, isn't good in the air etc. A bit like Perbet, similar player. Also crowned top-scorer in the Belgian League once. I don't think this kind of player can thrive in a very physical league.

I think a better comparison is Mitrovic, who I still like. He's got more pace than him though (but Mitrovic was more clinical). Both also have anger management issues. He's possibly even worse than Mitrovic. He punches people, deliberately elbows them in the face... He should have gotten a 6 week suspension the last time (in September), but got away because of a procedural cock-up by the Belgian FA (as usual).

Our very own Diego Costa. Love it.

You want rid of Niasse (and are highly critical of him) to a sign a one goal in 3 game player. Yet over the previous 2 seasons, Niasse has a ratio of 1 in 2. Niasse has outscored Welbeck in both the last two seasons (off less time and in worse teams). And only has 1 less assist in that time. If Niasse is as bad as you are making out then welbeck is even worse.

..I doubt ‘all’ would have him. My concern would be his injury record.

Sound like Watford fans before we ended ya with their manager and Brazilian winger :)

Apparently City have made a number of enquiries about him and with Peps love of splurging his wad on defenders could very well put price us on any move we made for him

i don't understand how anyone could suggest welbeck would be worth anything. He's so utterly terrible imo, but he's at the same sort of standard as niasse, if not worse. I don't understand how he's played for united and arsenal tbh. But what would be the point? Most of us agree we need a top class striker which would mean we wouldn't need niasse. Why would we buy a top striker and then buy welbeck as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back