Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer Transfer Window 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Suppose we will know more when the window opens.

:coffee::coffee::coffee:

Yup, as others have said the only reason City is spending big early is because they are worried over a transfer ban.

Im sure we have had a year to draw up our list of targets and we are going to watch the market with interest. If Lukaku stays then I think keeper is a priority for them but if he goes then a striker is a more pressing concern. There's a lot in the air right now.

As good as VVD is, we were never going to get him, so it's pointless getting annoyed about it.

Saying that, we do need to start seeing some movement on the transfer front soon - we can't afford another terrible summer like last year.

Who cares what wages he's on, they got the player they wanted beating off city and chelsea. It doesnt come out of our pocket.
So suddenly we're expected to offer £200k to players to make up for the fact we can't offer CL football and just hope that they don't fancy City or Chelsea (or in this case, Liverpool)? Doesn't work like that, and even if it did I personally wouldn't like to see us go down that route.

Thing is though mate, VVD is already massively overpriced and will be getting a wage beyond what he's worth, he's a long way short of being the best defender in football and the costliest one ever.

He's just become another flavour of the month - is he the best cb in the league? Is he any better than numerous other cbs in Europe who haven't had the same attention

He's a marquee statement type signing more due to his reputation than his ability.

Very good player, but also very overhyped at the same time.

As I said mate, Van Dijk was just an example.

So suddenly we're expected to offer £200k to players to make up for the fact we can't offer CL football and just hope that they don't fancy City or Chelsea (or in this case, Liverpool)? Doesn't work like that, and even if it did I personally wouldn't like to see us go down that route.
We apparently have the money now and if someone is so good (VVD really is), you expect clubs to pay. Of course we should pay to get the best players. If we keep that mentality of not spending much, we might get one hidden gem per season (Gueye) for not alot of money, but we're not gonna build a whole winning team like that.

To crack the top that's exactly what we have to do. Pay what needs paying for the players koeman wants. How do you think City and Chelsea got to where they are?.

For all the people stating they wouldn't like us to pay over the odds for players and offer them silly wages, how on earth are we ever going to compete otherwise?

Chelsea and City done exactly that til they became CL regulars then could attract players based on their name. Obviously Moshiri doesn't have that sort of money but in that case him and Kenwright should shut up mouthing off to the media and Talksport about getting the manager anyone he wants, bidding £60 million for Koulibaly etc.

Either put up or shut up.

We apparently have the money now and if someone is so good (VVD really is), you expect clubs to pay. Of course we should pay to get the best players. If we keep that mentality of not spending much, we might get one hidden gem per season (Gueye) for not alot of money, but we're not gonna build a whole winning team like that.
Thing is though surely offering £200k to the likes of VVD is going to set a precedent that you imagine we wouldn't be able to sustain right now, even when inevitably he goes to a CL club offering the same. You could appreciate the intent, sure, but I still think it's unrealistic that we'd ever consider offering close to that for VVD, or any other player who's reputation supersedes his ability.

For all the people stating they wouldn't like us to pay over the odds for players and offer them silly wages, how on earth are we ever going to compete otherwise?

Chelsea and City done exactly that til they became CL regulars then could attract players based on their name. Obviously Moshiri doesn't have that sort of money but in that case him and Kenwright should shut up mouthing off to the media and Talksport about getting the manager anyone he wants, bidding £60 million for Koulibaly etc.

Either put up or shut up.

Oh I'd like us to pay over odds for people. Love it in fact.

Just don't think it will always do the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back