Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer Transfer Window 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
what less flattering things? are you talking about him saying he's not as physically strong as DCL? if so then that was more a compliment to DCL than a slight at Davies...sort of 'Davies is a first teamer and DCL is stronger for a youngfella'

No, his comments at the end of last season:

We knew that Tom was physically very strong and his spirit is unbelievable - every day he shows that mentality that you need to get your chance in the first team. He will continue to progress and the next step is to be consistent in his performances. Everybody knows in football the step to the first team is a difficult one but it’s even more difficult to stay at that level and to improve in your qualities.”

I think he knew he'd be bringing in more into CM and was smoothing the way for a future decision to demote to the bench.

Quick comment after reading numerous people saying they wouldn't pay the asking price and only pay x or pay y for this or that player....

Remember, this is not our money and if Everton want to spend and it improves the team / squad let's enjoy having the cash to spend for once...

Happy days are around the corner for us blues so enjoy :-) We could be West Ham who purchase an ageing defender on a free...Those days are over :-)

Quick comment after reading numerous people saying they wouldn't pay the asking price and only pay x or pay y for this or that player....

Remember, this is not our money and if Everton want to spend and it improves the team / squad let's enjoy having the cash to spend for once...

Happy days are around the corner for us blues so enjoy :) We could be West Ham who purchase an ageing defender on a free...Those days are over :)

See what you are saying Gaz but I think when some fans comment about a fee being too much, they appreciate resource isn't infinite and perhaps that fee could be better spent to improve the team.

Reading between the lines of his near season end comments I thought that Koeman was hinting that Davies needs to add to his game and make it more consistent...in fact he used the word 'consistency' IIRC.

Let's put it this way, he's not going to spend the best part of £55M on his two most recent signings for the engine room in the shape of Schneiderlin and Kaassen and not play them. Davies will need to be ready to handle a lot of bench time this season.
Of course he spoke of consistency from an 18 year old. The tone though is that you don't fancy Davies?
I agree he'll be rotated a lot and actually I'm glad I don't want to see him burnt out the way other players have been and to use him in Europe may be a better experience for him in any event

We knew that Tom was physically very strong and his spirit is unbelievable - every day he shows that mentality that you need to get your chance in the first team. He will continue to progress and the next step is to be consistent in his performances. Everybody knows in football the step to the first team is a difficult one but it’s even more difficult to stay at that level and to improve in your qualities.”

I think he knew he'd be bringing in more into CM and was smoothing the way for a future decision to demote to the bench.

I would more say that is a generic speach anyone would say for any manager when a young kid comes into the team

Is he meant to say " he is Robson, Reid, Lampard & Scholes reincarnated into one great footballer, Tom will be in the team from now on, he dosent need to worry about improving"

Read a very interesting piece last year, about the high press reducing the need for a playmaker type, as the pressing effectively creates those chances by getting the ball in already strong attacking situations, having seen the rs against the better teams, got to say it kinda works that way in a lot of games.
Agree with a lot of what you say mate. But speaking to a kopite mate of mine, he said towards the end of the season Coutinho was dropped back centrally playing behind the front 3 and it made them even more of a threat offensively. With the cover schnerderlin and Gana offer the team defensively, I'm sure it is system we could also utilise.

See what you are saying Gaz but I think when some fans comment about a fee being too much, they appreciate resource isn't infinite and perhaps that fee could be better spent to improve the team.

Or another way you could look at that is, they think they know better than the staff at Everton when it comes to this thing when really they don't.

@gaz1976 is spot on IMO, it is not our money. As an example, if Gylfi slotted a goal that got us in next seasons CL, nobody would give a hoot what he had cost at that point.

Of course he spoke of consistency from an 18 year old. The tone though is that you don't fancy Davies?
I agree he'll be rotated a lot and actually I'm glad I don't want to see him burnt out the way other players have been and to use him in Europe may be a better experience for him in any event
Not at all. He was just about the only highlight from last season as far as I was concerned.

Koeman needs to handle this lad's inevitable disappointment next season very well...and he needs his money signings to be a huge success if he does allow them to crowd Davies out, or there'll be trouble.

Or another way you could look at that is, they think they know better than the staff at Everton when it comes to this thing when really they don't.

@gaz1976 is spot on IMO, it is not our money. As an example, if Gylfi slotted a goal that got us in next seasons CL, nobody would give a hoot what he had cost at that point.

In that case, lets close the forum and never comment/give opinion because fans don't know more than the staff... :oops:

Worked his socks off...like a brilliant news signing to me, not worried about him getting game time next year either, already above McCarthy and Barry in the pecking order
I don't think people realise sometimes, Davies is only 18 years old and has only been playing first team football for 6 months. The lad was tiring towards the end of the season, solely because of injury to McCarthy and Barry's legs going. He was unable to be rested much. He's had a good rest this summer, a full pre-season under his belt, he will come back even stronger and more experienced player.
Due to the signing of klassen and other potential signings, I think you will see the 3 of Gana, scherderlein and Davies rotated more, which will only benefit them.

I don't think it's unflattering at all though. Sounds like he is just telling him a fact of football at the to but is also likely telling him he will need to keep working hard as there may or may not be more competition. If when I was 17/18 and suddenly got a nice hefty pay rise, won 3 awards in one season(first season) it would be possible to rest on my laurels. I reckon I'd appreciate someone telling me to make sure I keep it together. Many talented footballers have [Poor language removed] up their careers because of it. I think he like Davies a lot and we'll see a lot of him next year. Certainly hope so anyway, the boy is class

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back