Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer Transfer Window 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't particularly want a number 10 as I don't think we will be playing a formation that accomodates one.

I imagine we will be much harder to play against, with plenty of running and snide throughout the team. Winning the ball higher up the pitch and putting defences on the backfoot from the outset.

Sandro, Berardi etc seem to be the type he wants. Players that score goals but also with bite and agression to their game. Even if they are not playing well the opposition know they have been in a game. This is something we struggled with last season, if Lukaku wasn't on it, we became very easy to defend against. Couple that with a lack of goal threats throughout our side and Barkley and Lukaku not being the best pressers meant that teams could have an easy day against us.

I do think we need someone that can take set pieces though, as this is another area we aren't great in. Whether that is Sig or not remains to be seen, but he is definitely a decent option.

It is setting up to be a very interesting couple of weeks with the Europa Qualifier on the horizon. Got a very strong feeling we will see a move for Vardy sooner rather than later, as I reckon Koeman would love him.

Lack of links over target men at the minute, Giroud being the only one of note?

You seem to be suggesting that football clubs never spend badly, never mismanage their finances, never get themselves into financial difficulty and never make embarrassing signings for over-inflated prices. ...and fans of such dumb clubs have never known better than them at any point.

Surely not?

No mate

Not saying that.

It's like people never learn when it comes to transfers. We have had players come in for peanuts and who have gone on to do really well. We have seen really expensive players completely flop at clubs.

The fee is not the issue, unless it was your own money I fail to see the concern, you are bound to have hits and misses.

oli.png

But then we're going away from playing a high pressing game from the front.

Not saying that.

It's like people never learn when it comes to transfers. We have had players come in for peanuts and who have gone on to do really well. We have seen really expensive players completely flop at clubs.

The fee is not the issue, unless it was your own money I fail to see the concern, you are bound to have hits and misses.
Whether you mean to or not, that is what you're saying though. If we can't question fees because we don't know better than staff, then we can't question tactics, line ups etc for the same reason can we?

Just because we've got money doesn't mean we should all be happy at us throwing it at people left right and centre. I got three quotes from joiners over the weekend, I could afford to pay the amount quoted by all of them but I'm not going for the most expensive one because I can get a job done with the same quality for less. It's a no brainer, and the same applies to transfers.

This whole argument over Davies etc is ridiculous.

We have so many games to play this coming season if it all goes to plan. We will likely be playing 3 CM's at once in the majority of those games.

There is so much game time to go around.

Davies played 25 games last seaon, and for an 18 year old, particulary with most of them being in a 6 month period is a lot.
If he can play that many games or even maybe 5 more over that 9 months of the season, he will be fine.
IF and its a big IF we get int othe 2nd round of the 2 cups and the group stages of the eurpa league that is 10 extra games already than what we played last season.
Plenty of games for him to play in

It really is for the most part a dreadful reflection on the previous regime that RK/SW are left this summer having to reconstruct an entire forward line, if not the bulk of the squad.

We still need another 2 attackers in with Sandro "signed".

Difficulty presents opportunity though, and it would be great if we could get players in with different attributes. In terms of a natural goalscorer who is PL ready then I would much prefer a Batshuayi type player over Dembélé.

Then to add a bit of height and muscle, Giroud would be the obvious candidate, but he won't be willing to trade time on Arsenal's bench for ours. I think he will end up at Lyon anyway. I also think DCL will get plenty of game time too as RK seems to think very highly of him.

If we do sign a 3rd striker, then it will be of the cheaper type I think, essentially taking a punt on someone. If they see Gray as that guy then fine by me, its very difficult to pick up anyone for £10m these days, the only other alternative is signing someone obscure from abroad.

Davies played 25 games last seaon, and for an 18 year old, particulary with most of them being in a 6 month period is a lot.
If he can play that many games or even maybe 5 more over that 9 months of the season, he will be fine.
IF and its a big IF we get int othe 2nd round of the 2 cups and the group stages of the eurpa league that is 10 extra games already than what we played last season.
Plenty of games for him to play in
There's also injuries, suspensions, substitutions and form to consider

Whether you mean to or not, that is what you're saying though. If we can't question fees because we don't know better than staff, then we can't question tactics, line ups etc for the same reason can we?

Just because we've got money doesn't mean we should all be happy at us throwing it at people left right and centre. I got three quotes from joiners over the weekend, I could afford to pay the amount quoted by all of them but I'm not going for the most expensive one because I can get a job done with the same quality for less. It's a no brainer, and the same applies to transfers.

Your analogy of joiner quotes does not translate though in modern day football terms.

Players are under contract, clubs will in some case only be tempted to sell if somebody is willing to pay stupid money, as is in our case now with Lukaku.

If the manager wants a player and the board are willing to smash the transfer record to get him then I say let them get on with it.

Like I said, the same people who are saying do not over pay for a player I am pretty sure would not give a shiny one what he cost if he contributed enough to make the team successful.

I don't mean it to come across as nobody should comment on anything, that would be silly of me.

But then we're going away from playing a high pressing game from the front.

We need options

Sick of relying on Lukaku or whoever and not having a plan B when things aren't going to plan

Koeman had Pelle and Long at Southampton, one fast striker who presses well and one target man. Horses for courses

Giroud may not be able to press as he lacks pace, but as a target man there are few better around - and he is so good with his feet that he would be marvellous for the runs into the box from Klaassen etc

Personally think we need 3 strikers - Sandro may be one of them, a bit of a maverick who can play anywhere across the front three, but still need more options

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back