Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer Transfer Window 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me tell you what happened.

First of all he said "I think it was dodgy", then he made up the whole "I was told" story, I kid you not, thats how it played out, I will vault him to death if he denies it.

Agreed, absolutely no chance was Niasse signed without Martinez's permission or go ahead. Brown Shoes had total free reign regarding incomings here and he was allowed to appoint his own scout, Kevin Reeves, to the position of Chief Scout. I believe it was Martinez's failings in the market which convinced the club to go down the route of a DoF even if it was Koeman's preferred setup.

Now, back to transfers...

We dont do that thing here in England mate. English football is not the continent. There's no finessing of burden of responsibility away from coach to DoF or chief scout.

If anything is bought at this club, Koeman owns the purchase. It goes on his CV and is a plus or minus in his column.
As others have said then, Oumar Niasse. Admit that's all Martinez and we can have a conversation. Otherwise you're badly hypocritical.

I'm fed up of all this buying, when are we going to start selling? USM FF is choka-block, get some off-loaded and get some lockers feeed up.
LOL - although....actually a fair point seeing as how the new lads can't even get kit numbers.

FFS Kenwright - you miscalculated the carried interest on the Arteta money and overspent. We need to sell!

Last edited:

I agree the buck does stop with the manager, However earlier in the thread you absolved Martinez for any blame with the signing of niasse.
It was a one off judgement based on a piece of info that I take to be 100% true. Just that. The principle holds true.

He needs to do more than that. You can challenge for top four without cash as Moyes and Martinez proved. Getting cash will mean he has to deliver that CL spot. Apparently he'll get money this summer so he has a point to prove next season.

I for one believe he's way out of his depth pushing the envelope and gambling for wins - which is what you require to get the points total required to take a top four spot. We'll have to improve by about 15 points next season to stand a good chance of a top four finish. On the evidence so far presented I cant see this feller having the ability to organise a team to get that improvement.

We'll see. The pressure will be on and he needs to deliver top four or a cup.
He needs to do more than challenge for Champions League? I'm not so sure about that...

As a realistic expectation given the 11th place, then 7th place, reasonable progress would be challenging with the top 6. Martinez had less far to travel to challenge for CL and Moyes managed to get there playing turgid stuff. We need to demonstrate upward trajectory and consistently. Pushing for CL would require an additional 10-15 points, if we get close to that it shows improvement, especially given the additional ask of Europa league.

Looking at things objectively I would say that's a fair assessment as improvement and expectation. A good season would be cup win and/or CL qualification.

As others have said then, Oumar Niasse. Admit that's all Martinez and we can have a conversation. Otherwise you're badly hypocritical.

He has shown he can be a half decent top flight player* and our fans where a little too eager to gleefully jump the gun regarding him?

I don't think that's what you were looking for though?

*Please note I am NOT saying he is great, or even good but he is nowhere near as bad as some where painting him out to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back