Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer Transfer Window 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't believe for one minute that we HAVE TO get top 4 next season. We might get top 4 if a couple of teams implode but we still have to build a better or equal team/squad to compete against Spurs, Chelsea, Man City, Man Utd, Arsenal and Liverpool. If we can overtake one of them and get a bit closer to the others points wise then it will be a giant step that we can once again build on.

We are building a team to compete and it won't be easy against that lot so it's not a DO or DIE scenario but we have got to show improvement again.
There is no need for the dramatics of HE MUST DELIVER TOP 4 etc we just have to get much closer and if we do get top 4 then that will be a great result considering.
Sensible post this

Sorry David.

Which players have you got your eye on for Ronnys Globetrotters?

I'd move for Giroud and Werner. Throw what's left of the Lukaku and Barkley cash at it and then net spend in order to get:

a starting LB - maybe Bertrand
a CB - I wouldn't gripe about Keane, tbf

That could make a real difference to our season.

I'd move for Giroud and Werner. Throw what's left of the Lukaku and Barkley cash at it and then net spend in order to get:

a starting LB - maybe Bertrand
a CB - I wouldn't gripe about Keane, tbf

That could make a real difference to our season.

Do you not feel that we lack some numbers on the wings?

And if Barkley is moved on, surely he would need replacing?

He needs to do more than challenge for Champions League? I'm not so sure about that...

As a realistic expectation given the 11th place, then 7th place, reasonable progress would be challenging with the top 6. Martinez had less far to travel to challenge for CL and Moyes managed to get there playing turgid stuff. We need to demonstrate upward trajectory and consistently. Pushing for CL would require an additional 10-15 points, if we get close to that it shows improvement, especially given the additional ask of Europa league.

Looking at things objectively I would say that's a fair assessment as improvement and expectation. A good season would be cup win and/or CL qualification.
Second season in the job and spending cash? Top four or a cup in the cabinet or he's failed.

Simple as that...if things really have *changed*.

Second season in the job and spending cash? Top four or a cup in the cabinet or he's failed.

Simple as that...if things really have *changed*.

As I said in January and I still maintain, if the manager is backed and properly backed, we should at least EXPECT an assault on the top 4, to demand it is a little bit much IMO, but if backed, I will be EXPECTING us to compete on ALL 4 fronts.

Do you not feel that we lack some numbers on the wings?

And if Barkley is moved on, surely he would need replacing?
I do. The reason I didn't mention it is that he's already spent £36M on that last season so I cant imagine the board being too thrilled wanting to cough up another small fortune to correct their manager's mistakes.

We'll start with what we have on the wings. Maybe if Mirallas had his lazy arse kicked to the kerb we could buy again...but your Dutch mate gave him an extension up to about 2055 a few months ago so that isn't happening in a hurry.

It was a one off judgement based on a piece of info that I take to be 100% true. Just that. The principle holds true.
One of the reasons I wanted koeman appointed manager was if the fantastic rebuilding job he did at saints. VVD, Bertrand, Soares, Mane, Tadic etc. However didn't you say, koeman couldn't take any credit for this as it was the DOF who identified these players.
I had misgivings like you, how koeman publicly criticised Ross Barkley (koeman has since admitted this as a failing). However it seems to me you cannot give koeman any credit for what he has done at Southampton or Everton. Don't get me wrong due to his sullen demeanour he doesn't come across great in press conferences, but we did make progress on and off the pitch last year.
You are right to praise Martinez for his purchase of lukaku (a master stroke) but then suggesting niasse wasn't his buy, well whose was it then? Moshiri wasn't at the club and we didn't have a DOF.

As I said in January and I still maintain, if the manager is backed and properly backed, we should at least EXPECT an assault on the top 4, to demand it is a little bit much IMO, but if backed, I will be EXPECTING us to compete on ALL 4 fronts.
I said so earlier. If we miss out it has to be by a couple of points, not the 15 we failed by this season just gone.

I do. The reason I didn't mention it is that he's already spent £36M on that last season so I cant imagine the board being too thrilled wanting to cough up another small fortune to correct their manager's mistakes.

We'll start with what we have on the wings. Maybe if Mirallas had his lazy arse kicked to the kerb we could buy again...but your Dutch mate gave him an extension up to about 2055 a few months ago so that isn't happening in a hurry.

Has he not be linked with a move back too turkey ??

As for the mistakes...Bolasie had a solid start I'm. ..but that's not every ones opinion...

What I would like too hear is why you don't rate Lookman. The only thing I can see being picked on is his size...but that's so 1980s. He's young...but seems bright and pacey, sees the field well, good feet, good attitude

One of the reasons I wanted koeman appointed manager was if the fantastic rebuilding job he did at saints. VVD, Bertrand, Soares, Mane, Tadic etc. However didn't you say, koeman couldn't take any credit for this as it was the DOF who identified these players.
I had misgivings like you, how koeman publicly criticised Ross Barkley (koeman has since admitted this as a failing). However it seems to me you cannot give koeman any credit for what he has done at Southampton or Everton. Don't get me wrong due to his sullen demeanour he doesn't come across great in press conferences, but we did make progress on and off the pitch last year.
You are right to praise Martinez for his purchase of lukaku (a master stroke) but then suggesting niasse wasn't his buy, well whose was it then? Moshiri wasn't at the club and we didn't have a DOF.
I'll say this abut Koeman: when it was revealed by FDB this week that only a change of mind by Koeman to take the Everton job saved us from employing him I was mightily relieved....I cant stand that 'kin Ajax fraud.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back