Summer Transfer Window 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think I would, I think we're still crying out for some more creativity in that middle three. I do like Schneiderlin but I was very vocal about wanting us to sign an Arteta-like playmaker in the middle to knit things together when we signed him. I think it's something we still need to address tbh because I'm sick of watching us clog the park with two defensive mids constantly, I feel like I've been watching a decade of it.
I think playing to Roms strengths has meant we have not had the ability to hold possession high up the pitch meaning two sitters has been needed or we would be wide open. Remains to be seen if Koeman wants to change this or not like. Witsel has never looked all that when I have seen him though.

I don't think I would, I think we're still crying out for some more creativity in that middle three. I do like Schneiderlin but I was very vocal about wanting us to sign an Arteta-like playmaker in the middle to knit things together when we signed him. I think it's something we still need to address tbh because I'm sick of watching us clog the park with two defensive mids constantly, I feel like I've been watching a decade of it.
Witsel's not particularly creative himself though, more of a win the ball and lay off a simple pass type from what i've seen of him

Hi mate. Do you want to actually take the time to read and understand what I've written next time you quote me to prove a point. I'll do it for you if you like.

Our problem is stalling on transfers. Whether this is partly because of the relationship between Koeman and Walsh I don't know.

The issue is in sufficiently identifying what we need and bidding the right amount early. In a world where Spurs throw 30m at Sissoko on deadline day and hardly used him all season - says it all about the current market.

And to bring it back to us, take three linked players - Pickford, Keane, Sigurdsson. Each tick enough boxes that would warrant a combined fee of around 70m. It seems a lot but that's the going rate for just one top player. Sure, don't overpay, but don't bother wasting time negotiating the lowest possible fee either.

We really shouldn't be getting priced out of players like Pickford, Keane and Sigurdsson. Otherwise the gulf between us and the top 6 is bigger than we thought.

So I posted this weeks ago before we had done any business at all, saying that we shouldn't stall on transfers and that we should pay up so we don't lose out.

And I said it would cost around 70m for those three players, which is about right though Sigurdsson's fee is higher than expected.

So in light of my comments, Everton have actually done what I said they should do, which is pay up for players we want. We shouldn't getting priced out of those players, which as I said we haven't done.

Thanks for taking the time to search for my quote though, it's nice to be reminded now again about getting some stuff right.

Last edited:
I think playing to Roms strengths has meant we have not had the ability to hold possession high up the pitch meaning two sitters has been needed or we would be wide open. Remains to be seen if Koeman wants to change this or not like. Witsel has never looked all that when I have seen him though.

That's a good point tbh.

I wanted Mata more than Witsel last year, it isn't even really about the player himself but the type of player he was and how that would change our approach.

as regards hold up play do we really need a big lump of a lad? Sandro hold up play is excellent and comes deep to picking passes in a Sanchez/Aguero/Firminho style...Kane the only big lad up front for the top 4

Witsel's not particularly creative himself though, more of a win the ball and lay off a simple pass type from what i've seen of him
The games If seen of him for Belgium he was running the show. I also remember he played well against us for Liege. Those were the only times I watched him. I probably turned him into something he wasn't in my head.

I just really want another Arteta. He was ace.

Does anyone else hope that Pickford, Keane, Klaassen, Sandro were our top targets regardless of departures? I would like to believe that these were the priority signings to strengthen the existing squad, with other additions then being made depending on departures i.e. if/when Ross goes we get more serious about Sigurdsson, if Lukaku goes we spend big on additional striking options, maybe Dembele or Giroud?

There's no way we'd be spending £100m without departures being accounted for

I think we could easily spend that if we just consider the minor departures. We have the 40 million profit from TV deals, then we have the increase of 15 million with better sponsorship deals, then if we want a negative net spend of 30 million, that gives us 85 million to spend. Throw in 30-40 million from minor sales like Cleverly, Niasse, McGeady, Galloway, etc, maybe Barkley, and without selling Rom I could see us spending 110-120 million.

Exactly. Cleverley and Geri should raise about 20m. But Rom or Barkley would need to be sold to give some sort of balance to our expenditure. I'd prefer it to be Ross, as I think he'd be easier to replace. Replacing Rom is a lot more difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back