Summer Transfer Window 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Balancing the books is import to any business. Be stupid for us to spend £100 million and not sell anyone. Lots of players will never play again for us. So getting them off the wage bill is just as important. We may manage a negative spend an actually be stronger.

Must've rubbed him the wrong way. I still haven't seen us beating any of the top teams for players.

Pickford was only ever coming to us really.

Was anyone else linked to Klaasen?

Sandro should be a good bit of business if it ever happens but we didn't break the bank there.

Keane is a good player but we probably would have lost out to UTD there if they were in for him instead of signing Lindelof.

The young Henry lad from Belgium is a good deal and we appear to have a heated some bigger teams to the punch there.

All that said, none of these players are really at the level of reputation and possibly quality of a Witsel or a Mata. That was the miaguided optimism I spoke about.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. While our business has been good, quite good, we haven't exactly been throwing money around to sign players the teams above us were after, nor do I expect us to be able to do that. It's no secret that Lukaku is as good as sold right now. Anyone buzzing off of our deals right now would do well to remember there's that to still happen. Not to bang on about Net Spends and whatnot but that Lukaku sale is going to cover a LOT of this expenditure.

I'm not whinging by any means about what we have done so far. In fact I'm quite happy. All that said I still don't believe we're able to compete with the elite or sign 60 million quid players just yet, especially with that stadium to still be built.

So in short, I don't know why @nsno-chris has just vaulted me and I look forward to his detailed reasoning for doing so.

Have to agree with you mate. Have we improved our team? Definitely. Unfortunately we're not the only team allowed to spend money this window. By the time the season starts, given our opening fixtures, it'll be clearer as to whether we've made simply made the gap larger between ourselves and those below us, or whether we are actually catching up to those above us. However all we can truly do is worry about our team and on that basis we've done some good business, making key additions to the first eleven

Lukaku will be going. He'll bring in around £80m I imagine. Cleverly sale and Del going will bring us about level.

We'll still need a direct Rom replacement and one or two others which will come from whatever budget we initially had plus sales of others (Niasse, McCarthy, McGeady etc)

Net spend matter little most times, but even more so this summer when there is likely to be one, maybe two big outgoings.

Don't let it worry you.

There's no way we'd be spending £100m without departures being accounted for

£125m of players on 5 year deals equates to an additional cost of £25m cost hitting the amortisation line in the accounts. So we'd only have to create a profit of £25m on the sale of squad players to balance the books (wages excluded) The profit on sales is calculated on their current asset value, so I think McCarthy for example will stand us at £0 now.

£125m of players on 5 year deals equates to an additional cost of £25m cost hitting the amortisation line in the accounts. So we'd only have to create a profit of £25m on the sale of squad players to balance the books (wages excluded) The profit on sales is calculated on their current asset value, so I think McCarthy for example will stand us at £0 now.

But we'd also have to find £25m of profits for next year then, and year after etc. I'm assuming we'll all be expecting to be buying players then as well.

as regards hold up play do we really need a big lump of a lad? Sandro hold up play is excellent and comes deep to picking passes in a Sanchez/Aguero/Firminho style...Kane the only big lad up front for the top 4

Except for Firmino, every single one of those players scored over 20 goals last year mostly playing straight through the middle. And I think you're doing Kane a disservice, his overall play for Spurs is fantastic, similar to Diego Costa who also scored 20 goals. The fact is it doesn't really matter whether it's a big lump up front or a mobile smaller forward. It's all about your desired style of play and what you want from your striker. If Lukaku is going we have to replace those goals somehow and as it's unlikely we'll get a like for like, we have to spread those goals around more which despite all our business so far doesn't appear to have been addressed and has to be the priority now. Unless of course Rom is staying......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back