Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer Transfer Window 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
The general consensus amongst other fans seem to be that we are doing good business but not signing anyone who is going to take us to the next level, annoying to read but probably fairly accurate in all honesty.

Our squad still looks like 7th best in league and will probably still look like that even if we sell/keep Rom and Ross.

Im not really sure how we break into being serious/consistant top 4 contenders, seems like mission impossible... but Spurs managed it so i still have some hope.

edit: Anyone saying we are 1 great central defender (VVD) away from challenging from the title is living in cloud cuckooo land.

general consensus amongst other fans seem to be we are doing good business but not signing anyone who is going to take us to the next level, annoying to read but probably fairly accurate in all honesty.

our squad still looks like 7th best in league and will probs still look like that even if we sell/keep Rom and Ross.

The squad has been improved, massively and we havent finished yet.

I unfortunately have a pretty boring work place when it comes to football so not much knowledgeable football banter.

Just wondering what other teams supporters make of our early and significant moves in the transfer market.
RS having melt downs,claiming nonare as good as Salah and that non would get in there team(Pickford and Keane would easy) a lot think it's the Lukaku money, a lot saying we spent 100 mil to finish 7th, basically I think there worried, we are all they talk about

RS having melt downs,claiming nonare as good as Salah and that non would get in there team(Pickford and Keane would easy) a lot think it's the Lukaku money, a lot saying we spent 100 mil to finish 7th, basically I think there worried, we are all they talk about

They're soiling their pants mate. Not used to us flashing the cash and getting the bodies in like we have been.

Yes it has, but probably not enough to seriously compete with teams above us, especially if we then get rid of our main source of goals. Id imagine come the end of the season we will be 7th and have a similar gap to clubs beneath us but hopefully be a little closer to those above us... that would at least be progress.

general consensus amongst other fans seem to be we are doing good business but not signing anyone who is going to take us to the next level, annoying to read but probably fairly accurate in all honesty.

our squad still looks like 7th best in league and will probs still look like that even if we sell/keep Rom and Ross.

not really sure how we break into being serious/consistant top 4 contenders, seems like mission impossible... but Spurs managed it so i still have some hope.
That's the crux of it really.

Fantastic business by the club so far, but when/if Lukaku goes, we really need to knock the ball out of the park for a replacement. A player who, like Rom, can pull a matchwinning moment off from nothing.

We were 8 points off 6th last year. We've certainly strengthened, but with the added games from the Europa (should we qualify!! ) we may be banking on someone above us to slip up, rather than storming the top 6 ourselves...

I, of course, am just some biff on the internet, so I am most probably wrong ;)

Go'ed the blues!!! :D

Yeah, but I see the point that's being made.

These are good signings. Possibly the best we could expect or hope for. But they're not signings to win the league or expect top 4 - they're signings that separate us much further from Soton/Stoke/WBA and cut the gap to those above us. Which is really precisely what was needed and what we should have done last summer rather than spend all of our time thinking that one big signing would magically make us Chelsea.

There was a huge amount of work to do on our squad and this June has taken care of a big chunk of it. We need a few more big signings to bridge the gap properly yet, and I would personally be surprised if we could get those this summer. I think we may need another season of clear improvement before the players that will take us to the next level deign to sign.

Once again though - this is probably dead on right. Grow slowly. We were miles back. Now the gap seems smaller.

Bit of a myth mate that, Mourinho has done it before with something like 7 first team signings in one season once, and other managers have also, it's about more getting them in early and getting players in that suit the system you want, hell even Watford when they got promoted basically rep;laced their entire squad and first team and actually started very very well after promotion...
He bought class players who can just take to the pitch and get a result with moments of genius.

Not the same with the calibre of player we're getting.

image.webp

Sign everybody

Yes it has, but probably not enough to seriously compete with teams above us, especially if we then get rid of our main source of goals. Id imagine come the end of the season we will be 7th and have a similar gap to clubs beneath us but hopefully be a little closer to those above us... that would at least be progress.

We dont need to have a better squad than the teams above us, we just need to go to their place and beat them, then beat all the fodder.

Not taking anything away from how hard that task is, but have these 5 players made that easier to do? I think they have, the difference between 7th and 4th last season was 15 points, 15 points over a 38 game season, is Pickford worth an extra 15 points? No, not alone, but is Pickord, Sandro, Klaassen and Keane? Plus others?

Ask me again in May.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back