Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer Transfer Window 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel we have done as well as we possibly could hope for. None of the signings would be considered a marquee signing at one of the CL clubs but the margins are small and we have closed them substantially with highly astute signings.

There are really only a handful of world
Class players around if you see the pounding many teams take in the CL. Who is to say none of these have the quality to excel in a top side, they just don't have the name, nationality or history to demand it yet.

Take Koeman signings at Saints.. a few are considered some of the best in the EPL now..

Another reason I feel Rooney would lift the expectations and perception of the side. There would be a real curiosity what he and Everton could do. This team needs a winner in it and Rooney has known almost nothing but!

The general consensus amongst other fans seem to be that we are doing good business but not signing anyone who is going to take us to the next level, annoying to read but probably fairly accurate in all honesty.

Our squad still looks like 7th best in league and will probably still look like that even if we sell/keep Rom and Ross.

Im not really sure how we break into being serious/consistant top 4 contenders, seems like mission impossible... but Spurs managed it so i still have some hope.

edit: Anyone saying we are 1 great central defender (VVD) away from challenging from the title is living in cloud cuckooo land.

It can be done but not in one summer. I think we are starting to foster a reputation as the best side in the country for young talent to join. If we can build on that and with the new stadium on the horizon we can slowly close the gap.

We dont need to have a better squad than the teams above us, we just need to go to their place and beat them, then beat all the fodder.

Not taking anything away from how hard that task is, but have these 5 players made that easier to do? I think they have, the difference between 7th and 4th last season was 15 points, 15 points over a 38 game season, is Pickford worth an extra 15 points? No, not alone, but is Pickord, Sandro, Klaassen and Keane? Plus others?

Ask me again in May.

Minus Rom and Ross though quite possibly, massive losses.

There needs to be some balance to the excitement of the ins, to what we might also loose.

If Rom and Ross go and Sandro and Klassen are direct replacement, we've basically signed a new centre half (Stones) and a new keeper (10 years overdue).

We're doing alright, but miles to go in this window.

Do we actually need Sigurdsson? He said he underperformed at Spurs because he was played out of position - he likes to play in the middle

However we already have Schneiderlin, Gana, Klaassen, Davies, McCarthy, Barry, Besic, Barkley

Not the same with the calibre of player we're getting.

Hi David. Any chance we can get an opinion on our current transfer market abilities, and also our newest and bestest signings? Thanks.

If you have already then apologies, cos I was just in a happy mood and probs decided to skip stuff.

He bought class players who can just take to the pitch and get a result with moments of genius.

Not the same with the calibre of player we're getting.
No he doesn't, Mourinho knows how to beat teams, he's a master tactician, probably the best at it in the world, that Man U squad is one of the worse they had in a decade and he still did the double.

I feel we have done as well as we possibly could hope for. None of the signings would be considered a marquee signing at one of the CL clubs but the margins are small and we have closed them substantially with highly astute signings.

There are really only a handful of world
Class players around if you see the pounding many teams take in the CL. Who is to say none of these have the quality to excel in a top side, they just don't have the name, nationality or history to demand it yet.

Take Koeman signings at Saints.. a few are considered some of the best in the EPL now..

Another reason I feel Rooney would lift the expectations and perception of the side. There would be a real curiosity what he and Everton could do. This team needs a winner in it and Rooney has known almost nothing but!

You are right. It is fair to say that the top 6 would have been underwhelmed with the signings we have made and despite the large fees they all have something to prove before they can be considered top class players. They are all at a good age though so fingers crossed they can hit the ground running and can continue to develop

Minus Rom and Ross though quite possibly, massive losses.

There needs to be some balance to the excitement of the ins, to what we might also loose.

If Rom and Ross go and Sandro and Klassen are direct replacement, we've basically signed a new centre half (Stones) and a new keeper (10 years overdue).

We're doing alright, but miles to go in this window.

But if Rom and Ross are sold they will be replaced, not a single player we have signed is a Rom replacement or a Ross replacement.

Do we actually need Sigurdsson? He said he underperformed at Spurs because he was played out of position - he likes to play in the middle

However we already have Schneiderlin, Gana, Klaassen, Davies, McCarthy, Barry, Besic, Barkley

Which is only 4 players that I really expect to be starting next season, yes we could do with Sigurdsson

All this talk of 'would players get into such and such team' is pointless.

First of all, only arsed about Everton. But importantly, what I've noticed about our signings is that they are model pros. It doesn't matter arguing the talent of players to no end, but how well, when put together and properly managed, they work in a team.

Take Pickford barking orders at his defence in the u21 tournament. Williams is a leader, Keane is eager, Schneiderlin has a cool head, Gueye never stops. Sandro admits he likes to press and work for the team as well as get goals. Klaassen captained Ajax with great success. All these players had a great send off from their clubs because they know how professional they are.

When you compare these players with the attitude of Rom, iyou start to feel his loss wont be as impactful. Rooney would be a great leader for the young players as well. I think we are building at team that has a great blend of talent, experience and youthfulness with less and less damaging egos.

All this talk of 'would players get into such and such team' is pointless.

First of all, only arsed about Everton. But importantly, what I've noticed about our signings is that they are model pros. It doesn't matter arguing the talent of players to no end, but how well, when put together and properly managed, they work in a team.

Take Pickford barking orders at his defence in the u21 tournament. Williams is a leader, Keane is eager, Schneiderlin has a cool head, Gueye never stops. Sandro admits he likes to press and work for the teams as well as get goals. Klaassen captained Ajax with great success.

When you compare these players with the attitude of Rom, it you start to feel his loss wont be as impactful. Rooney would be a great leader for the young players as well. I think we are building at team that has a great blend of talent, experience and youthfulness with less and less damaging egos.
Carragher's comments show there's some insecurity there - keep the signings coming!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back