Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer Transfer Window 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have waited so long for a window like this, I don't want it to end. Bloody marvellous getting deals done so early gives the players a good pre-season to bed in and whatever money spent on extra wages will be saved on transfer dealings because the rest will start panicking and start over paying.

The speed at which deals are getting over the line is testament to the new regime, things have changed and it's no coincidence we haven't seen sight nor sound of Suntan Bob or Blue Bill.

The fruits of the new era

We start the season well and these players settle in quickly and the whole narrative of our club changes.

Thing is, we probably won't. Its an extremely tough open for any team, but even more so for team thats basically been rebuilt from the ground up. Obviously I hope I'm wrong, but if not its going to be important that the fans keep the optimism and self belief going.

Whether any of our signings would get into the RS team right now(and a few would) is missing the point. They improve the spine of our team and our squad now plus they all have potential to get even better. The FM approach of but yeah but you haven't signed anyone world class yet, is totally short sighted they improve us now and help us build.

What it has done is absolutely wrecked the hopes of supporters from the clubs below us, we where the club they all spouted off about finishing above etc, those hopes have well and truly gone for them now.

Yes that is a very good point.

Just the other week the chairman of Crystal Palace was banging on about being like Everton and Southampton.
The fact these clubs have been able to label a club of our stature in the same bracket as a Stoke or a Southampton (clubs who have spent years in the lower leagues recently), is testament to how badly run this giant of the game has been in the Premier League era.

I remember back in 2002 a Charlton Athletic fan saying his club was of a similar size to ours. WTF!

...whilst (almost) everybody is rightly positive about our transfer activity and complimentary about Koeman, Walsh, Kenwright et al for not only identifying targets but for making the deals happen, I think a reality check is wise.

Carragher mischievously tweeted yesterday that none of our new signings would get a game for the Reds. Whilst that met with outrage from some, it is a moot point and one that should not be immediately dismissed.

Whilst it's difficult bringing in the players you want, the real challenge is bringing in players who turn out to be successful. It's ultimately how a manager will be judged. So far so good, but only time will tell if the window is a success.
Carragher doesn't even believe in his own point? So I think yes it can be dismissed.

Pickford was in his starting 11 team of the season.

Thing is, we probably won't. Its an extremely tough open for any team, but even more so for team thats basically been rebuilt from the ground up. Obviously I hope I'm wrong, but if not its going to be important that the fans keep the optimism and self belief going.

More than likely. win Stoke, pick a draw up and even if we only turn over one of those supposedly bigger teams, we then hit a nice run. Obviously we could 'everton that' the whole thing up. However, It can't be underestimated how important getting these signings done by pre season start is.

What it has done is absolutely wrecked the hopes of supporters from the clubs below us, we where the club they all spouted off about finishing above etc, those hopes have well and truly gone for them now.
Exactly! We shouldn't be sharing company with the likes of Stoke, West Ham, West brom they shouldn't be in our thoughts but unfortunately they have been

Any word on who is going to buy Niasse?

If we can get £8m for Cleverley (plus a loan fee) and then £4.5m for McGeady, surely we can get close to the £13m we paid for Niasse?

I do not even remotely hate anyone in our squad anymore:

Beagrie-Alexandersson-Thomsen-Farrelly-Pistone-Simon Davies-Phil Neville-Beckford-Cleverley-McGeady-Niasse

There has always been at least one. What a time to be alive!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back