Summer Transfer Window 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm saying the feeling on Christmas morning....

You wake up and get lots of little presents and medium presents and larger presents (like the players we have signed this summer) and you're really happy to receive those presents.

But then you remember when you got the ultra-super-smashing-blow your mind present from a few Christmases before....

Personally I feel that this window would 'need' a signing such as that, one which really captures my own personal imagination for it to be better than when we signed Kanchelskis.

It wouldn't need to be a huge signing like a Koulibaly, it could well be a Sessegnon who i'd enjoy watching develop...but something like that is missing for me out of all of these players for it to upstage Kanchelskis' signing for pure excitement.

This just feels, sensible.

That summer we signed Kanchelskis, Craig Short and Paul Gerrard

Andrei was a "wow" signing, and probably the first we'd had since we last broke the British transfer record for Cottee (unless Beardsley counts?)

The window was hardly anything to get excited about overall though

This is the kind of window that Man City had a couple of after their Robinho one - sensibly building their squad

A statement signing would be nice, but I can't see it happening, and TBH I don't think it's absolutely necessary - you could easily argue that Rooney represents the kind of signing that delivers a lot of media exposure, which is the main thing.

That said, if we stump up £40m for Mahrez or someone like that, I'd be delighted

You wake up and get lots of little presents and medium presents and larger presents (like the players we have signed this summer) and you're really happy to receive those presents.

But then you remember when you got the ultra-super-smashing-blow your mind present from a few Christmases before....

Personally I feel that this window would 'need' a signing such as that, one which really captures my own personal imagination for it to be better than when we signed Kanchelskis.

It wouldn't need to be a huge signing like a Koulibaly, it could well be a Sessegnon who i'd enjoy watching develop...but something like that is missing for me out of all of these players for it to upstage Kanchelskis' signing for pure excitement.

Trust you to want to unwrap a 17-year old boy on Christmas morning, Zat.

Only joking buddy.

Nothing would top Kanchelskis

That summer we signed Kanchelskis, Craig Short and Paul Gerrard

Andrei was a "wow" signing, and probably the first we'd had since we last broke the British transfer record for Cottee (unless Beardsley counts?)

The window was hardly anything to get excited about overall though

This is the kind of window that Man City had a couple of after their Robinho one - sensibly building their squad

A statement signing would be nice, but I can't see it happening, and TBH I don't think it's absolutely necessary - you could easily argue that Rooney represents the kind of signing that delivers a lot of media exposure, which is the main thing.

That said, if we stump up £40m for Mahrez or someone like that, I'd be delighted

It's not even about the money for me really....

The signings have been made in a 'sensible' way. There's not one where I've been amazed or really shocked by.

It would take one interesting one like a Kanchelskis or even a young lad coming in left field to add to the numerous signings for me to make it similar level to Kanchelskis summer.

He was just such a shock even though it took a while to get done it did get done and the shock got bigger...then lee sharpe tried to maim him.

3 more is extremely realistic.

Better to say 3 more and get 5 than say 5 and end up with 3.

Simple psychology. Some fans will flip if we get less than we wanted.

Another thing about it, it's another announcement from the media about us, getting more talk etc, we sign 3 then Jim White with another announcement 'Everton haven't finished yet!'

Sassuolo say they will listen to offers for Domenico Berardi and that Roma “know our demands” for Gregoire Defrel.

Berardi and Defrel have been heavily linked with Roma, who appointed former Sassuolo boss Eusebio Di Francesco earlier in the summer, but CEO Giovanni Carnevali made it clear the Neroverdi would not be held to ransom over the pair.

“We’d like Berardi, Defrel and Acerbi to stay, but their desire, enthusiasm and belief in the project is very important to us,” he told Corriere dello Sport.

“We won’t force anyone to stay, but it’s clear that bids must be consistent [with our demands].

“Possible that Domenico leaves? I hope he stays and I don’t mean just him.

“We’re always ready to talk to anyone. While all this is happening, he’s back training with the team, as are the others.

They’ve started working again while the club are doing their job.

“Roma asked about Gregoire and we’ll see what can be done: they know our demands and we consider them to be reasonable.

“Acerbi? Francesco is very important to us. We didn’t accept Galatasaray’s offer.

“We’d like him to stay, but we still have solutions for the role, from [Gian Marco] Ferrari to [Timo] Letschert.

“I’m not thinking about any replacements. Risk of igniting a tug of war? There mustn’t be controversy, but I don’t think so.

“These things are fairly simple and we’re dealing with professionals.

“Everyone does their bit: the players were aware of the consequences and accepted the economic conditions when they signed their contracts. The agreements were two-way.”

Been linked to us in the past

Yeah, some will moan about net spend and not look at how much stronger the squad is already.
Is it?

Stronger without Lukaku?

Goals win matches. We just saw our top scorer for years walk out and we haven't replaced him. We look pedestrian.

We are in negative net spend right now to the tune of £15M.

WTF is this feller Moshiri getting credit for? We've seen this sell to buy for years and Kenwright rightly got lambasted for it.

Is it?

Stronger without Lukaku?

Goals win matches. We just saw our top scorer for years walk out and we haven't replaced him. We look pedestrian.

We are in negative net spend right now to the tune of £15M.

WTF is this feller Moshiri getting credit for? We've seen this sell to buy for years and Kenwright rightly got lambasted for it.

I'd be interested in seeing your maths for this!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back