Summer Transfer Window 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks @ijjysmith , @Mikey_Fitzgerald for answering Smig's question on VVD

And @Smig1878 , Keane is good on the ball.

As I said, not a VVD or Stones. He's not going to stroll out and take on four players.

But, he is just fine with the ball at his feet. Doesn't panic and can pick out a decent pass into midfield.

We have a ball-playing CB in Holgate, but he needs to boost up physically before he can be trusted in a two IMO.

VVD has been massively overblown by this perception he's worth £65mil and the fact we may steal a march on that lot. He's a professional footballer so he'll have his moments but he tried running out it out against stoke two seasons ago and Walters had him over, shall we judge him on that instead?

Stones got caught in possession for City last season against Saints.

So is he not a ball-playing CB now?

Mate, you're not making sense.

He's as good as Jags, trustworthy but not up to much apart from hitting wingers with clearances.

He's better on the ball than Jagielka is.

He's not a superstar slick CB but is more confident than either Williams or Jagielka.

Also bare in mind that Williams was the linchpin of Martinez's, Rodgers and Laudrup's Swansea sides - all of which played out from the back.

Yes it is...serious Dave net spend means nothing....net spend will be relevant next year, this year we have ALOT of players to shift

If we spend £180m in this window (which easily looks doable), and bring in close to £150/160m from player sales (again, easily doable), then that to me is good business.

Not that I want Ross to leave or wanted Lukaku to go, but if you're replacing players who either don't want to be here or/and simply aren't good enough (Cleverley, for example) with quality - as we are doing - that suits the manager's plans better, then that is how you operate in the transfer market.

Stones got caught in possession for City last season against Saints.

So is he not a ball-playing CB now?

Mate, you're not making sense.
We are not talking about Stones, why are you bringing him into it? VVD goes forward on occasions it'll come off then he'll fail but he's not a player expected to do that. I think you're confusing him as he's been out half the season.

He's as good as Jags, trustworthy but not up to much apart from hitting wingers with clearances.

Just because he doesn't maraud over the half way line skinning 5 players doesn't mean he isn't good with the ball at his feet. Look at someone like Mori for example who treats the ball like it's a bomb about to explode when it comes near him, Keane is on another level, he looked very composed on the ball last year when we played Burnley.

We are not talking about Stones, why are you bringing him into it? VVD goes forward on occasions it'll come off then he'll fail but he's not a player expected to do that. I think you're confusing him as he's been out half the season.

I literally watch football for a living and have watched VVD play for Saints and before that Celtic. @Mikey_Fitzgerald has seen more of him and will vouch for that.

He's a ball-playing CB if there ever was one. He's not got the usual build but he's fantastic in possession.

I'm bringing Stones into it because you referenced on occasion two years ago when VVD lost possession, and said that means he isn't a ball-playing CB/good on the ball?

By that logic, neither is Stones...

If we spend £180m in this window (which easily looks doable), and bring in close to £150/160m from player sales (again, easily doable), then that to me is good business.

Not that I want Ross to leave or wanted Lukaku to go, but if you're replacing players who either don't want to be here or/and simply aren't good enough (Cleverley, for example) with quality - as we are doing - that suits the manager's plans better, then that is how you operate in the transfer market.
Yes we lost Rom but right now the other all team is far better then last season. With Sigi and a striker or 2 to come we will be much stronger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back