Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer Transfer Window 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd probably concur. If that's the case then we speak with their agents and gauge interest...which we may well have done.

But with such publicity across the continent now is the time to make waves. Get one or two players of a higher level in then were nicely set up for future windows when we can aim for that level player.
Morata: 80 million is wanted by Real Madrid
Dolberg: Young and unproven
Belotti: 100million release clause and Torino won't sell for less.
Icarid: Over 70 mil and they have a new manager who wants build a squad around him.

I'm looking at this from a couple of angles....

1-- Is the first 11 better
2 -- Is the squad better
3 -- Have we actually invested money

I noticed @davek making a comment about the fact we haven't actually spent money and yet people are saying we're going all out lol

Not at this moment were not...

I wonder how many players have actually left compared to ins...must be very similar and after we have our clearout of the players I listed already (at a guess) then that's going to go a very long way to cover any wage additions

So far....it seems the money isn't being spent...I personally feel we need to be 50-100mil of actual spends at the end of the window to show were actually 'going all out'.

I don't think anybody will disagree with that assessment Zat. If the window closed today not many fans would be ecstatic with the result. Probably give it a B- or maybe even less.

Given that I can see a few more outgoings (hopefully Barkley not being one of them) I would hope we would be spending another £100m + before the end of the window.

I want another striker, possibly 2. A very decent AM/winger with guile and vision. Possibly a long term LB replacement for Baines (but I'd like to see Connolly/Robinson be given an opportunity in pre season first) and another CB who I would use to replace Mori.

Having said that, we shouldn't be looking at net spend just for the sake of it. We need to get as much as we can in from our sales and spend as little as possible bringing the right players in. That's just common sense in any business. So if we end up with a positive net spend of £20/£30m, rather than £80/£90m, but have substantially improved both our starting XI and our squad, well surely that's better. Isn't it?

Like it or not, Rooney does get a lot of media attention regardless of his actual football ability, and is a big name all around the world.

Morata: 80 million is wanted by Real Madrid
Dolberg: Young and unproven
Belotti: 100million release clause and Torino won't sell for less.
Icarid: Over 70 mil and they have a new manager who wants build a squad around him.

Rooney is a statement just as is the current illusion of us spending 100mil (weve made it back in sales) we know that but the media all over Europe don't seem to be focusing on it...as I posted earlier, now is the time to strike.

Morata is owned by madrid.
Dolberg perhaps but looks like a future world class player and if you don't sign them young you never sign them
belotti 88mil clause confirmed by their chairman
Icardi has a clause around what we received up front for lukaku...the fans turned on him and vice versa.

These are examples....but big moves that take us on a level...we should be putting our name around that we want to spend but within reason.

I don't think anybody will disagree with that assessment Zat. If the window closed today not many fans would be ecstatic with the result. Probably give it a B- or maybe even less.

Given that I can see a few more outgoings (hopefully Barkley not being one of them) I would hope we would be spending another £100m + before the end of the window.

I want another striker, possibly 2. A very decent AM/winger with guile and vision. Possibly a long term LB replacement for Baines (but I'd like to see Connolly/Robinson be given an opportunity in pre season first) and another CB who I would use to replace Mori.

Having said that, we shouldn't be looking at net spend just for the sake of it. We need to get as much as we can in from our sales and spend as little as possible bringing the right players in. That's just common sense in any business. So if we end up with a positive net spend of £20/£30m, rather than £80/£90m, but have substantially improved both our starting XI and our squad, well surely that's better. Isn't it?

Definitely.

I mean look, if we went and signed a centre back, centre forward and left back all for around 80mil and didn't sell anyone then we would have a net spend of 80mil but stuck with a big squad.

If Walsh can wheel and deal and bring in quality and upgrade what we have then that is great....but to get to the next level sooner or later you need to spend on stars or future stars.

2 seasons ago if we had done this, or even last summer we could be sitting pretty now...but instead prices have gone insane and may keep rising.

A statement centre back and a centre forward would do it for me...or players we can see have world class potential....shows we are pushing.

Definitely.

I mean look, if we went and signed a centre back, centre forward and left back all for around 80mil and didn't sell anyone then we would have a net spend of 80mil but stuck with a big squad.

If Walsh can wheel and deal and bring in quality and upgrade what we have then that is great....but to get to the next level sooner or later you need to spend on stars or future stars.

2 seasons ago if we had done this, or even last summer we could be sitting pretty now...but instead prices have gone insane and may keep rising.

A statement centre back and a centre forward would do it for me...or players we can see have world class potential....shows we are pushing.

Chelsea just won the league with Gary Cahill at CB, is he a statement signing?

We dont need statements, we need quality footballers and a squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back