Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer Transfer Window 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
@davek

And so at this moment in time....Davek is correct.

To be honest, if we did sell those players I named for 80mil and spent a similar amount on a Centre forward, left back and centre back who were all very good players then we could all (davek included) be quite impressed by Walsh increasing the quality of the squad with no expenditure.

However, that's not us spending money and showing ambition with intelligent next level signings.

The papers across Europe are all noticing and being fed info of who weve signed and whose next....heres where we go for our TOP targets and take the first eleven up another level and show we mean business....

Or we sign Martina and an overpriced Sigurdsson...

We got 75mil for lukaku...go and drop an offer in for Morata, Icardi, Dolberg, Belotti.....make some strong moves.

Zat

Dave is quite capable of fighting his own battles mate. More than capable in fact.

What I will say is that he's been posting the same message for weeks, but up until the Lukaku deal was confirmed yesterday you wouldn't have been able to make that post saying he is correct. Let's wait until the end of the window and see where we stand, bearing in mind my previous post regarding net spend.

As regards your shopping list. Why not. But you need to be realistic about who's prepared to come here, who our competition for these players are, and how much their clubs want to sell them. You could end up disappointed mate.

Think we should go all out for Dolberg by the way, even if we have to loan him back to Ajax for a season. He's the one on your list that I would say we have any chance of getting.

step0001.webp

@davek

And so at this moment in time....Davek is correct.

To be honest, if we did sell those players I named for 80mil and spent a similar amount on a Centre forward, left back and centre back who were all very good players then we could all (davek included) be quite impressed by Walsh increasing the quality of the squad with no expenditure.

However, that's not us spending money and showing ambition with intelligent next level signings.

The papers across Europe are all noticing and being fed info of who weve signed and whose next....heres where we go for our TOP targets and take the first eleven up another level and show we mean business....

Or we sign Martina and an overpriced Sigurdsson...

We got 75mil for lukaku...go and drop an offer in for Morata, Icardi, Dolberg, Belotti.....make some strong moves.

We bid on moratta, icardi and belotti mate the general perception would be to laugh at us like west ham are being laughed at.

Definitely.

I mean look, if we went and signed a centre back, centre forward and left back all for around 80mil and didn't sell anyone then we would have a net spend of 80mil but stuck with a big squad.

If Walsh can wheel and deal and bring in quality and upgrade what we have then that is great....but to get to the next level sooner or later you need to spend on stars or future stars.

2 seasons ago if we had done this, or even last summer we could be sitting pretty now...but instead prices have gone insane and may keep rising.

A statement centre back and a centre forward would do it for me...or players we can see have world class potential....shows we are pushing.
We made the mistake last year of going after statement signings early in the window, who either weren't interested in coming here, or just using us to play off against other clubs of wangle a better contract at their existing clubs. By the time Walsh came in board there was only about a month left of the window. It was an absolute shambles.

It's a lot harder this year as you say, but it is what it is.

Are all these new players not getting paid good money ?
The only big wage gone is lukaku, so the wage bill will go up, but damn no positive net spend (yet)! Moshiri out.

We made the mistake last year of going after statement signings early in the window, who either weren't interested in coming here, or just using us to play off against other clubs of wangle a better contract at their existing clubs. By the time Walsh came in board there was only about a month left of the window. It was an absolute shambles.

It's a lot harder this year as you say, but it is what it is.

We've got the advantage now of players seeing we're willing to splash the cash so hopefully that'll make us more attractive.

Chelsea just won the league with Gary Cahill at CB, is he a statement signing?

We dont need statements, we need quality footballers and a squad.
Exactly. We need players who will gel as a team. The signing of Rooney (even though I was against it) can be considered a 'statement signing'. Let's face it, his face hasn't been off sky sports since Sunday. However if I'm honest, I think the likes of Sandro and klassen will have a bigger influence in how we play, but not as bigger influence as the media coverage Rooney will generate for the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back