Summer Transfer Window 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get how people are convinced by Kenny based on 2 appearances and a u20 tournament. Give him a chance but let's not bet the house on it eh?

I would actually go out and try to find a first choice RB... there is absolutely no garantee that Coleman will come back the player he was ...

No we have a very good one currently injured with a brand new shiny contract.

We will not waste money knowing that.

What happens if he suffers a set back? Or breaks down again... or never actually gets back to his previous level ? I would be looking for a first choice RB imo

Not arsed about Martina on a free, it is very lazy given they've had another year to look for prospective right backs, but he's safe and free.

I'd actually take a punt on Bony you know, there's a player in there.
I agree with this and when we sell him we'll get a return on wages and god forbid maybe a profit!!!

What happens if he suffers a set back? Or breaks down again... or never actually gets back to his previous level ? I would be looking for a first choice RB imo

Three ifs.
I'm sure if any of these happens we will look long term but let's give the lad a chance before writing him off.
Give Kenny a chance too look at Davies last season let's hope he grabs his chance too.

Everything is possible but would be a huge waste trying to get a top player in that position with the fee and wages if it then turns out Coleman is fine. Then you will be left with one unhappy RB that you will be forced to sell.

I'm happy waiting until next season and then replace if required.

I can see it's cheap. What I can't conflate is the narrative that we are now serious players in the premier league with being happy with Martina being a likely first team player for several months (I suspect you will argue he won't be, but I will bet you he plays more games than anyone else at RB until Coleman returns). I don't see Pochettino, for example, doing deals akin to this one. Spurs, frankly, should be who we are seeking to emulate in terms of their recent progress.

Fair enough.

We'll see.

I'm hopeful that Kenny will get minutes to prove himself in pre-season, like Holgate did last year. If Koeman thinks they're ready then he'll keep them in the first team for good. I'll be disappointed if that's not the case but it's down to Kenny to prove he can do it.

Martina in my mind provides competition while not being a player we have to spend big money on who is in turn going to halter the progress of the kids.

You say we should emulate Spurs, but Pochettino has also had his fair share of 'flops' as well.

The guy is 27, will be on low wages (relatively speaking of course), and provides cover in numerous positions.

As a squad member it's an improvement, imo.

I am beginning to feel like it may be a case of too many cooks at Everton. Last year we were obsessed with getting as many CMs as possible. This time we want to jam the team with AMs. Team looks great I know but this way Lookman, DCL and Davies might find even less game time and we also will lack width which is extremely crucial. All these AMs would want to drift in the middle without any real width.

You're naming players who aren't right backs. I'm naming players who are (or have recently played there).

Cuco Martinez is not a superior player to Kenny, Holgate or Connolly. Not in a million years. I haven't seen them for ages but Browning and Pennington if they are championship level they would both be better than him too.

Whose the boy covering for? he steps onto the pitch and its a weakness....

If he's first choice and Kenny 2nd then we have a problem....if hes backup to Kenny then why bother bringing him in when we have Holgate? Is he going to push Holgate off the bench? makes no sense.
You rode that right off the rails

I am beginning to feel like it may be a case of too many cooks at Everton. Last year we were obsessed with getting as many CMs as possible. This time we want to jam the team with AMs. Team looks great I know but this way Lookman, DCL and Davies might find even less game time and we also will lack width which is extremely crucial. All these AMs would want to drift in the middle without any real width.

We've only bought 1x CAM?

Everything is possible but would be a huge waste trying to get a top player in that position with the fee and wages if it then turns out Coleman is fine. Then you will be left with one unhappy RB that you will be forced to sell.

I'm happy waiting until next season and then replace if required.
So boo hoo we sell him next summer. Coleman will be out most of this season and at his age may not be the same player when he does come back.

At the moment we are entering the season with Martina as our first choice RB, a kid who can't cross because he's a CB and a kid who hasn't done enough to earn a squad number.

It's not just the league. If we get a tough Europa tie we could go out and that effectively ruins our season and the best chance we have to break into the champions league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back