Summer Transfer Window 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
So boo hoo we sell him next summer. Coleman will be out most of this season and at his age may not be the same player when he does come back.

At the moment we are entering the season with Martina as our first choice RB, a kid who can't cross because he's a CB and a kid who hasn't done enough to earn a squad number.

It's not just the league. If we get a tough Europa tie we could go out and that effectively ruins our season and the best chance we have to break into the champions league.

You have to remember that Coleman is(/was) one of the best RB's in the world. He seems to be incredibly strong mentally, I doubt we will see him shirk a tackle, so I don't think this injury will be the same as it might be for another player. He has also been loyal and as one of our better players has never sought to move upwards, he deserves a bit of loyalty in return. Plus where we will find another in the same class as Coleman I don't know.

Fair enough.

We'll see.

I'm hopeful that Kenny will get minutes to prove himself in pre-season, like Holgate did last year. If Koeman thinks they're ready then he'll keep them in the first team for good. I'll be disappointed if that's not the case but it's down to Kenny to prove he can do it.

Martina in my mind provides competition while not being a player we have to spend big money on who is in turn going to halter the progress of the kids.

You say we should emulate Spurs, but Pochettino has also had his fair share of 'flops' as well.

The guy is 27, will be on low wages (relatively speaking of course), and provides cover in numerous positions.

As a squad member it's an improvement, imo.
No one has a problem with him coming in like he was at Southampton as 3rd choice cover. We have a problem with him starting the vast majority of games this season which is what he will do if we don't buy another RB.

You have to remember that Coleman is(/was) one of the best RB's in the world. He seems to be incredibly strong mentally, I doubt we will see him shirk a tackle, so I don't think this injury will be the same as it might be for another player. He has also been loyal and as one of our better players has never sought to move upwards, he deserves a bit of loyalty in return. Plus where we will find another in the same class as Coleman I don't know.
No one is arguing we need to sell Coleman. We have already shown loyalty by honoring our agreement with regards to his contract.

I am saying we need to bring in a RB for one season. Surely there must be someone at a top club who is out of contract that we can throw 100K a week at just for a couple of seasons or someone surplus to requirements who would fancy a chance at the very least to put himself in the window. We are the 7th best team in the league with a vacant starting RB position (even if it is for one season). There must be a player better than Martina we could attract. Plus we needed cover for Coleman anyway. How many derbies has he missed?

I'm all about bringing the Iceman in, and reckon even with Barkley leaving which I strongly suspect he is, we are just about there(ish!)
with the squad.

However IMO we really do still need another striker. I'd be made up with Giroud, unless Alvaro Morata decides he really wants to experience the blue revolution!!!

Also reckon we need LB cover, not sure who that is though!

Three ifs.
I'm sure if any of these happens we will look long term but let's give the lad a chance before writing him off.
Give Kenny a chance too look at Davies last season let's hope he grabs his chance too.

Tyeyre pretty small if's though... look at Oviedo, Luke shaw, Eduardo, arteta, yakubu ... this is a massive injury and he won't be back until Xmas as it is... then maybe another 6 months before he's match fit etc.. we might not see him back properly until the next season... he is in the top 3 RB in this league before his injury... we should sign a decent RB and if he reaches his previous level ... he should be able to win his place back . Harsh it may be and I like Coleman .. but this is what is needed if we want to progress. Would be proper Everton for everything to click and we just miss out on a cup or top 4 etc because of an injury etc... why change the entire squad and get ready to have a go only to have coco and hope Coleman will come back on time and as the same player as before? I hope it works out for Coleman but I wouldn't bank it all on it

I'm all about bringing the Iceman in, and reckon even with Barkley leaving which I strongly suspect he is, we are just about there(ish!)
with the squad.

However IMO we really do still need another striker. I'd be made up with Giroud, unless Alvaro Morata decides he really wants to experience the blue revolution!!!

Also reckon we need LB cover, not sure who that is though!

Definitely need a striker with an Ariel threat, or buying Gylfi would be madness.

Everything is possible but would be a huge waste trying to get a top player in that position with the fee and wages if it then turns out Coleman is fine. Then you will be left with one unhappy RB that you will be forced to sell.

I'm happy waiting until next season and then replace if required.

It's not a waste.. not if we win something... and top clubs don't care about anything but winning and competing... waiting till next year? I want the best team ASAP ... we don't have decent RB cover anyway so it's not a waste... and signing a player for the first team is never a waste either... and that will nearly always mean that someone will lose their place and be unhappy and get sold... it's what happens when you improve your first 11. We need to sign a RB because of injuries... if we are signing one you might as well sign one that can improve the first team

No one is arguing we need to sell Coleman. We have already shown loyalty by honoring our agreement with regards to his contract.

I am saying we need to bring in a RB for one season. Surely there must be someone at a top club who is out of contract that we can throw 100K a week at just for a couple of seasons or someone surplus to requirements who would fancy a chance at the very least to put himself in the window. We are the 7th best team in the league with a vacant starting RB position (even if it is for one season). There must be a player better than Martina we could attract. Plus we needed cover for Coleman anyway. How many derbies has he missed?

This

It's not a waste.. not if we win something... and top clubs don't care about anything but winning and competing... waiting till next year? I want the best team ASAP ... we don't have decent RB cover anyway so it's not a waste... and signing a player for the first team is never a waste either... and that will nearly always mean that someone will lose their place and be unhappy and get sold... it's what happens when you improve your first 11. We need to sign a RB because of injuries... if we are signing one you might as well sign one that can improve the first team
It's not even a waste.

One scenario is we take him for a couple of years on a free and after this season he provides cover which we need. The other is we buy someone and he's unhappy when Coleman takes back his place and we sell him probably for a very nice profit given the rate of inflation at the moment.

Or we don't buy him and we get hammered again at the pit because we don't have a RB fit for purpose watching Coutinho bum someone again.

It's not even a waste.

One scenario is we take him for a couple of years on a free and after this season he provides cover which we need. The other is we buy someone and he's unhappy when Coleman takes back his place and we sell him probably for a very nice profit given the rate of inflation at the moment.

Or we don't buy him and we get hammered again at the pit because we don't have a RB fit for purpose watching Coutinho bum someone again.

I agree with getting one in... I'm saying we should get a decent one...

I am not sure that I understand the logic of some.

Martina is a free transfer and if Coleman were fully fit would not probably be signed.
Either way , if Jonjoe Kenny performs as well for the first team in the next few weeks as he did for the unders 23s at the tail end of the season why would RK not use him?

We have seen he does give youngsters a chance, we have seen that he doesn't like to expose them to too much responsibility too soon...right so.

It amazes me that people have so much faith in the manager and so little faith in the manager at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back