Summer Transfer Window 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're naming players who aren't right backs. I'm naming players who are (or have recently played there).

Cuco Martinez is not a superior player to Kenny, Holgate or Connolly. Not in a million years. I haven't seen them for ages but Browning and Pennington if they are championship level they would both be better than him too.

Whose the boy covering for? he steps onto the pitch and its a weakness....

If he's first choice and Kenny 2nd then we have a problem....if hes backup to Kenny then why bother bringing him in when we have Holgate? Is he going to push Holgate off the bench? makes no sense.

As others have posted, we could well be playing a huge amount of games this season. We can't just rely on the kids however good a prospect they might be. I haven't seen enough of Martina to give a verdict on how good/bad he might be, but Koeman must think it's a benefit to have him in the squad and he's got a bit more experience than me, so I'll go with it.
if the younger lads start have a few bad games in a row continually playing them still could effectively ruin them.
I really hope Kenny can cut it and we'll end up seeing more of him at RB than any of the others mentioned... leave Cuco for the League Cup games/dead rubbers in latter parts of Europa League etc.
The one thing I don't want to see too much more of is Holgate at RB. That's not his natural position, want to see him in the centre - either in a 2 or 3 (probably a 3 while he gets more game time). Using Martina in certain games at RB gives us the ability to play players in their more natural position.
Guess we agree to disagree on this one, do see where you're coming from as I'd love all the youngsters to come through and be brilliant all season, but that's probably a bigger gamble than relying on Martina to do a job isn't it?

Martina is not the only option at RB in world football. And he's crap.

True.

But he's on a free, the manager clearly trusts him to be able to do a job and from that perspective he's a no-risk deal.

It's also not going to hinder the progress of Kenny as much if we'd have gone out and spent £10m on a full-back (which is what a decent one costs) - who then is conversely not going to want to sit on the bench all of the time when Coleman comes back.

Can you not see how this deal makes perfect sense?

Hes clearly not really bad, but hes not great, lets be honest, the lads got a future in the game for sure, just not convinced its at RB, BUT, hes very young, no reason why he cant improve in that role.
???

So I 've just wasted the last 20 mins typing out my reply to your previous post on a crppy little mobile phone keyboard wjth oversized thumbs.

I doubt he'll be on anywhere close to 30k per-week.

I'm sure I read somewhere last year (or the year before it may have been, when Saints signed him) that he was on about 8k per-week.

I honestly don't think it'll be any more than double that, plus a minimal signing on fee.

Erm no? Just youth team players numbers aren't generally listed on the website. Can't exactly get a Morgan Feeney shirt can you but he'll have a number.

I don't get what your getting at

I was responding originally to the point that basically said we are 'tricking' the FA into not having to register these as part of our 25 man squad by classing them as youth players, when they don't need registering anyway regarless of what squad we 'appear' to have them in, so the 'we would have more room for transfers' is irrelevant

im not talking about getting a youth player shirt

The Martina one is ok with me.

I would really really really like to see Kenny start, but ok, from our league fixtures i can see why Koeman will go with Martina
A 20 year old full back with 2 premier league appearences to his name, playing city away, chelsea away, spurs home & utd away.
What happens if he has been torn apart by hazard, pedro, de bruyne, silva, silva & sterling in our first 2 away matches and his confidence is shot? Do you put him in against spurs? as you have no one else, Martina is an option to start or to be back up. As someone else mentioned, we could go and spend shed loads on a top class back up but surely that stunts Kenny's progression more?

My preference would be, start Keny for these europa league qualifiers and see how he gets on, if he looks the bizz start him for the season, if he dosent, pull him out for Martina or even Holgate.

By the way, while we all know that Holgate is in no way a right back, people are going abit over board about him not being able to fill in there, he may not get up the pitch like a natural full back would but he defends well in that position. That could be a good thing for the opening games as we are facing some of the better teams in the league

I don't get what your getting at

I was responding originally to the point that basically said we are 'tricking' the FA into not having to register these as part of our 25 man squad by classing them as youth players, when they don't need registering anyway regarless of what squad we 'appear' to have them in, so the 'we would have more room for transfers' is irrelevant

im not talking about getting a youth player shirt

You dont need to register anyone under 21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back