Summer Transfer Window 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
It must gutting and sobering for Newcastle, that Everton can just go in and nab their best prospect from their academy. Just another indication of highly regarded our academy is and the coaches that work there. I've often said it can't be underestimated the importance of the likes of tom Davies in our first team. Young players realise that if you have talent and work hard and are good enough, you will be given an opportunity. That isn't the case at other top clubs.
Our youth are going to save us zillions in the coming years. Love the job the club have done investing in the best young talent. Our U23 team has practically won a world cup and many of the lads will be knocking on the first team soon. Unsworth deserves a lot of credit imo.

LB -- Baines / Connolly
CB -- Williams / Keane /Jagielka / Pennnington
RB -- Kenny / Holgate

That's how we look at the moment in preseason.

Seems imperative to sign a CB to me.

Koeman will give the others a chance.
Hate to be cruel but If we want to progress then Pennington can’t be in the first team. He was totally exposed last season.

It must gutting and sobering for Newcastle, that Everton can just go in and nab their best prospect from their academy. Just another indication of highly regarded our academy is and the coaches that work there. I've often said it can't be underestimated the importance of the likes of tom Davies in our first team. Young players realise that if you have talent and work hard and are good enough, you will be given an opportunity. That isn't the case at other top clubs.
This is an untalked about benefit from selling Stones.

Us selling Stones to a club as big as Man City, and for the fee we did, basically lets us go to every prospect and say "Look at how well we develop young talent, and set them up for big futures". Sure, we would have seen some benefit from developing him and keeping him, but selling him not only lets players envision the big club he went to, but gives them a real money figure to dream about. Even if we plan to keep all of the top young players and not sell them like we did Stones, it lets us get the foot in the door where other teams cant, and then they can fall in love with the club later.

I get a right rush every now and then when I think about Keane heading balls away, Pickford doing a few class saves and pinging the ball down the pitch, Klaassen knitting things all over the pitch, Rooney smacking some long range shots at the keeper & Sandro bending a free-kick in from the corner flag.

And that's just who we have so far.

Just listening to The Joyce there, hes saying that he thinks we will get Iceland and a target man, he seems to think Giroud will move to Dortmund if that player with the weird name moves and a left sided CB, then he thinks thats out lot!

Hate to be cruel but If we want to progress then Pennington can’t be in the first team. He was totally exposed last season.

For me;

Right back -- Kenny and Holgate are both fine. Holgate had a lot of games for us and England u21s here and Kenny was arguably player of the u20 world cup, has had loan spells and people who watch the u23s rate him very highly.

Left back -- Baines isn't the player he once was and there's no way he can play across 4 competitions. I think Koeman is looking at Connolly to see how he does in preseason and decide if he stays as rotation or goes on loan and we sign someone to take over from Baines .

Centre back -- Michael Keane is the starter and other than him we have two fast fading centre backs in Williams and Jags who are fine to rotate in/out but not to play consistently. Pennington needs a loan with a view to a sale.

I'd be hopeful we splash big on a partner for Keane. The only reason I could think not to do so would be if Koeman just wants to get a year more from Jags and Williams then make a superstar centre back his priority signing next summer. The same with Baines, perhaps he wants to give the young England u20 players a go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back