Summer Transfer Window 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always feel sorry for Barrett , as you say I think he was pretty solid defensively but his distribution strunk the Place out . Barrerr certainly wasn't a fav favourite .

Honestly he's my most disliked player I've ever seen play for Everton. Couldn't believe it when Southall leapt to his defence and was saying he was a boss full back and the fans should get off his back. His distribution was crap and I thought defensively he was all over the shop.

Honestly he's my most disliked player I've ever seen play for Everton. Couldn't believe it when Southall leapt to his defence and was saying he was a boss full back and the fans should get off his back. His distribution was crap and I thought defensively he was all over the shop.

He was one of the best one on one defenders in the league......before he signed for us. He was poor, very poor. However, i do remember him having a really good spell for about 6 games that came to an abrupt end when we entertained Utd at home. Good old Paul Gerard came darting off his line for a ball that was Barretts, he smacked right into him. He then went back to being utter gash again. The best part of that was watching Cantona, who was making a run into the box at the time, he just stopped because he could see what was about to happen. Those 2 clowns hit each other and Cantona just stroked the ball into an empty net

Long range weaselling! A new category?
Well Celtic have said no players will be sold till CL qualifying is finished.
If they get group stages they won't need to sell and players will want to stay
If they don't then financial considerations come into play plus players might look for a move.
Raining is covering himself on this one.

Can see where you are coming from Zat. However, I think we may have some problems getting cash in for Niasse, still don't know what the official line is on Mori's injury, and if Spurs don't match our valuation of Barkley that's up in the air too. Plus I also question your view on how much of an attraction Everton are to these X-factor" signings.

Sure, there's nothing to stop us putting bids in for players, but I think the club have learnt a lesson from the early days of last summers window. I think the club will be sounding out players agents/clubs before going as far as putting bids in, and I haven't got a problem with that. I'd love us to bring in a VVD or a Peresic or Icardi, but I don't think going around just putting bids in will do us any favours.

I know you were against it but the signing of Rooney, in media and profile terms at least, is considered an X factor signing my most of the football world.

Just to qualify what I mean a little more;

1. Other than Milan we're the most talked about side based on the amount of business done this summer
  2. We had 5 players in the England u20 world cup side.
  3. Koeman is a big name
  4. We have Rooney back
  5. Klaassen just joined after captaining Ajax to the Europa league final
  6. Lukaku was able to move where he wanted with minimal fuss
  7. There was a huge gap to 8th place showing were the 'next best'
  8. We do have European competition
Pickford/???
Coleman/Kenny -- Keane/Holgate -- ???/Williams -- Baines/???
Klaassen/Davies -- Schneiderlin/??? -- Gana/???
Rooney/Bolasie -- ???/Sandro/DCL -- ???/Lookman
When I look at the squad I see this (would love to add Dowell. Walsh, Connolly, Williams etc to the squad after preseason) based upon the Sigurdsson and Giroud links.

Robles, Stekelenburg, Jagielka, Mori, Barry, Garbutt, McCarthy, Barkley, Niasse, Lennon = 80mil+

I agree its not guaranteed that we could shift these players on BUT their wages and fees would certainly compare to our expenditure. Even if they are not sold, they are still assets up for sale and in a season several of them will be off the wages budget.

In another seasons time, unless were in the top 4 or have won the Europa I don't think we will have as good an opportunity as this summer to entice the top players to join the club due to all the current attention.

Backup keeper
Starting centre back
Starting left back
Rotation central midfielder
Starting attacking midfielder
Starting centre forward

If we are talking about Sigurdsson and Giroud then this wipes out the book values of players above we would want to sell.

For the right quality in the other positions we're looking at circa 100mil in transfer fees which is what a lot of people thought we should 'expect' this summer.

So on the one hand, if we breakeven its been a masterclass of balancing transfers by Steve Walsh
On the other hand if we want to put together a fantastic squad it will cost perhaps 100mil more

If we spent 100mil to go from last seasons squad to something with so many improvements it would be biblical.

Just seen in SSN City are open to offers for Patrick Roberts and talk of him going back to Celtic.

20 year of age, had 18 months loan at Celtic where he started to excel in the last 6 months, and if he's within Celtic's price range he won't be overly expensive. Exactly the sort of player we don't currently have. I'd be in for him for the right price.

@Zatara

I'd much rather have him and Lookman rotating in the left attacking slot of a front 3 than spend 50mil on Sigurdsson to play there.

These players are worth the admission fee when on form and both would get a lot of games

Simple question as you seem to be having trouble grasping the situation here.

Does your theory then get completely blown out of the water if we sign Gylfi for 45+m and Giroud or another striker for another 30?
Depends on who we'll sell but if we spend another 75+m then yea although if we do I don't think they would be the best use of resources. I think Sandro and Rooney will do well. We need pace and better cover for fullbacks.

1. Other than Milan we're the most talked about side based on the amount of business done this summer
  3. Koeman is a big name
  4. We have Rooney back
Pickford/???
When I look at the squad I see this (would love to add Dowell. Walsh, Connolly, Williams etc to the squad after preseason) based upon the Sigurdsson and Giroud links.

Robles, Stekelenburg, Jagielka, Mori, Barry, Garbutt, McCarthy, Barkley, Niasse, Lennon = 80mil+

I agree its not guaranteed that we could shift these players on BUT their wages and fees would certainly compare to our expenditure. Even if they are not sold, they are still assets up for sale and in a season several of them will be off the wages budget.

In another seasons time, unless were in the top 4 or have won the Europa I don't think we will have as good an opportunity as this summer to entice the top players to join the club due to all the current attention.

Backup keeper
Starting centre back
Starting left back
Starting centre forward

If we are talking about Sigurdsson and Giroud then this wipes out the book values of players above we would want to sell.

For the right quality in the other positions we're looking at circa 100mil in transfer fees which is what a lot of people thought we should 'expect' this summer.

So on the one hand, if we breakeven its been a masterclass of balancing transfers by Steve Walsh
On the other hand if we want to put together a fantastic squad it will cost perhaps 100mil more

If we spent 100mil to go from last seasons squad to something with so many improvements it would be biblical.

3. Koeman is a big name
  4. We have Rooney back
Pickford/???

Backup keeper
Starting centre back
Starting left back
Starting centre forward

you missed Besic ?

He was one of the best one on one defenders in the league......before he signed for us. He was poor, very poor. However, i do remember him having a really good spell for about 6 games that came to an abrupt end when we entertained Utd at home. Good old Paul Gerard came darting off his line for a ball that was Barretts, he smacked right into him. He then went back to being utter gash again. The best part of that was watching Cantona, who was making a run into the box at the time, he just stopped because he could see what was about to happen. Those 2 clowns hit each other and Cantona just stroked the ball into an empty net

I remember that game mate, I think my rage sort into overdrive with him lol Gerrard.....what an utter failure of a keeper he was :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back