Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer Transfer Window 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

If our manager does not have the team he wants at close of the window, feel free to have a moan and a rant, but if he does - who cares what the investment is? You have no basis for your argument until the window closes, because any figures either of us quote may not be the whole story.

If we end up with net positive spend and our squad loses players who don't want to be here, players here on the gravy train with nothing to offer, or players our manager does not want - then we will have made a change in our base, no matter how you dress it up to be different. Getting rid of deadwood and replacing with better - youth and senior players is changing the base line.

Our lacking is a striker and probably a centre back and/or left back - assuming we land Siggy. let's have another go after the deadline eh?

Read my post again, nowhere have I made this 'argument'.

Vermaelen is a definite no. The reason we desperately need another CB is coz Mori is injured and Jags/Williams are getting on. At the very least we need someone who is reliable... the one thing Vermaelen isn't.

At this point I'd definitely be taking a punt on Dembele (Celtic).

I was talking to my mate who is a big Celtic fan about Tierney yesterday and he said he thinks he'll stick around for a couple of seasons. Got talking about Dembele and he reckons he came on leaps and bounds last season but a decent bid would probably be accepted. Also mentioned Simunovic and said he was class ( I think someone mentioned him a couple of weeks ago on here ).

Read my post again, nowhere have I made this 'argument'.

To be honest, I don't think you are having a coherent argument at all, so it is a bit difficult following your multi-quotes and underlying message. It seems to me you are banging on about buying older players instead of babes in arms, and some wiffle-waffle about investing in the club's future. Yet the club have invested millions in the U23 squad, as well as buying players ready for now.

Balance is just about right, but we are still one or two short of an excellent window, so far very satisfactory in my opinion.

Wish folks would get over the like for like Rom replacement discussion. That was never going to happen. There are only so many established, quality strikers out there and the reality is none of them are going to a side that after back to back 11th place finishes finds itself in Europa qualifying. It may suck, but it's true.

So, as Rom was leaving like or no, we have to build a better team - not simply find one stud replacement. I think it is apparent they are trying to do that.

Several of us noticed the class that Schneiderlin brought when he signed last year. Rooney and Gylfi will do the same. Keane and Pickford are obvious upgrades. Sandro and Klaassen at the very worst improve our depth.

Giroud would have been ideal, but that was always unlikely. Kalinic, were he to sign, while he is certainly not Rom mark 2.0 is a good footballer who can score goals and seemingly play in the manner Ron wants for the overall team strategy he wants to employ.

We have played one game, which we won, let's not fall of the rails just yet.

I think it's normal to still discuss it if you think we shouldn't be selling a top striker without replacing them with another, and on top of that if you don't feel overly confident in the managers ability to build this alternative attack.

lets hope whatever the hell they have planned works, as at the moment I don't see the makings of this magnificent top 6 busting team being talked about or hoped for.

just whip it in now and then again tho no?
I'd rather he found feet and we retain possession.

If we bring in a big unit CF and he's in the box, yeah you're spot on- mix it up every now and then.

You've got to get numbers in the box though. When we do, he's proved that he can deliver quality.

V Hull away last season.
V Arsenal home last season.

He's quite possibly the most intelligent full back in the league. Enjoy him whilst he's here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back