Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer Transfer Window 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what started as a potential era defining summer for the club, you can't help but think that still nothing has changed in the way the club operates. We sit here now with the tv money, 60 million from China, any potential player sales to come and wonder why aren't we doing business?

We know what types of players we need, but for nothing to be done on that front yet is raising the odd false flag with fans now. Have we chased specific targets (Giroud?) Far too long like last summer, is there just not the money there again? We know siggurdson is replacing the outgoing Barkley so his cost comes down so it's not like even he represents big investment.

I am made up we brought in who we did back in June and we spent the lukaku money wisely , exactly what I wanted the club to do in that scenario. Right now however we seem to be in the same situation we were 12 months ago where we are selling to buy and just not getting business done whatsoever. We should be excited about the future, not watching a disjointed team without the key players and wondering who and if we are even bringing them in.

I've seen that posted in here and largely ignored it haha

If anything it seems to me a little kopitish to label anyone who isn't 100% excited and positive of everything. Personally I am looking forward to seeing the new players gel and improve here, nice to have so many new players to watch all at once, an Everton Christmas especially when a certain other team are having a nightmare time of it.

I would have said it 12 months ago if I was here , same as I will suggest it now. Why can't questions be asked of how the club is running and failing to sign players above the 0 net spend idea. Koeman said it himself dismissively, we have only spent 7 million really, hardly doing a man city and throwing money about. I am not asking for that neither, just to show a little ambition for one summer and spend the money we won't have once spades are in the ground. Siggurdson for example coming in now is not going to be ready for a few weeks and considering who we play it is a missed opportunity not to have him here training a week ago ready to take up that key position on the pitch. If we play against city and United the way we played in all of our real games so far we will struggle, whereas a result or two could really define our season. If we are waiting for deadline day then honestly, what's the difference between us and any other mid table team?

Nailed it. We can only go on the evidence in front of us, and so far that evidence says we've got a negligable positive net spend. That's not showing ambition, that's just reinvesting wisely.

Time will tell of course, but that little gremlin in the back of your mind chanting "sell to buy" is becoming harder to ignore the longer we drag Sigurdsson out and don't look like signing anyone else.

To borrow a quote from a depressing era in our history, Coleman and Bolasie really will feel like new signings when they are ready to return. Both will improve us greatly. If Rooney continues in that right-sided number 10 role he played in the 2nd half on Saturday and the 1st half against Sevilla, he will benefit hugely from Coleman's rampaging down the right.

Bolasie is the "out ball", the powerful, pacy player who can carry the ball and get us 50 yards up the park and give our counter-attacking a greater threat. Appreciate he isn't everyone's cup of tea, but he'll give us a very useful option when he comes back (provided he can get back to a similar level to what he was at pre-injury, which isn't guaranteed by any means).

On Danny Welbeck, I'm torn really. I see him as a really underrated player. He's very quick, carries the ball well, decent in the air, his hold-up play is underrated and given our lack of natural pace in attack, in a way I think he might suit us better than the traditional target man-type player we've been linked with. Having said that, his finishing is erratic and his injury record is up there with Wilshere, Besic, Sturridge and all the other crocks in the league. Tough one, especially as he would undoubtedly be our "main" striker if he came. It'd be a fairly big gamble.

If we play against city and United the way we played in all of our real games so far we will struggle, whereas a result or two could really define our season. If we are waiting for deadline day then honestly, what's the difference between us and any other mid table team?

City and United aren't that good, we will give them a game. Additionally, one result doesn't define a season.

The difference is, we will finish above all the other mid table teams. The real question is have we done enough to push the teams who finished above us last year. I think at the moment we'll be closer to last year. A few more signings and the ability to invest again in January would be great though.

From what started as a potential era defining summer for the club, you can't help but think that still nothing has changed in the way the club operates. We sit here now with the tv money, 60 million from China, any potential player sales to come and wonder why aren't we doing business?

We know what types of players we need, but for nothing to be done on that front yet is raising the odd false flag with fans now. Have we chased specific targets (Giroud?) Far too long like last summer, is there just not the money there again? We know siggurdson is replacing the outgoing Barkley so his cost comes down so it's not like even he represents big investment.

I am made up we brought in who we did back in June and we spent the lukaku money wisely , exactly what I wanted the club to do in that scenario. Right now however we seem to be in the same situation we were 12 months ago where we are selling to buy and just not getting business done whatsoever. We should be excited about the future, not watching a disjointed team without the key players and wondering who and if we are even bringing them in.
Yes we have money.
But so does everyone else, including the teams who finished above us, 5 of them who have CL football.

There is now more money in football than there are brilliant players, relatively speaking.

So we have Giroud at the top of our list, as an example.
What if, you know, maybe, just MAYBE, he doesn't want to come?
"Well... We should have number two and three target lined up"
What if they don't want to come to us? What if they play for clubs who want keep raising the price to the point, despite our riches, a deal just becomes unviable.

I do not understand football fans, and I certainly mean no disrespect to you as one of them, who believe they know what's going on despite a lack of any Intel / knowledge of what's going on at the club. You're saying, "we don't have a striker so therefore it must be because (e.g)...
Bill is in charge of transfers
We aren't paying enough
We are stalling
We have no plan b
We haven't prepared for for Rom's departure well enough and have been caught cold

The reality is that we got the "easy" business done early because of exactly that, it was easy business-

Ramirez- wanted Atletico, couldn't. We were the next best offer
Rooney- wanted to come home
Klaassen- risk signing because of his lack of physical football, he wanted to leave Ajax
Pickford- no way was he playing in the championship
Keane- 12 months left on his deal at Burnley, wanted to leave.

We are now going after players that aren't in a hurry to leave. And the clubs aren't in a hurry to let them go. Giroud being the obvious example here. He may even be thinking, I've got 2 weeks here until the window shuts, let's see if I get any minutes or whether a CL club come in for me.

There are 100s of permutations, 100s of different things which could be going on this very minute to try and get players in the door. We don't know.

Whilst I don't like the term "bedwetter", doing a maths calculation without any of the numbers is utterly bonkers imo.

Great profile pic btw
Huge shame.

Getting rid of Barry as if we didn't already desperately need more midfielders who can actually pass...this is confusing. We're replacing him, yes? Pls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back