Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer Transfer Window 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because he's 36 and offers nothing to the team now. Pretty simple stuff

Disagree with that completely.

He may well be 36 but he looked comfortable still in pre season and played loads last season to a competent level. Sure, wouldn't start him vs City but we could be playing 50 or 60 games this season, and he can play three positions.

Still got so much ability and it's a shame to see him leave.

Okay this is strange:

A newspaper is reporting that Dendoncker wants to go to Everton. In place of him they'd buy Maurício José da Silveira Júnior (had to google him; he plays for Zenit).

Let's assume it's just a rumour; unless Koeman wants to stack CM's.

Id be chuffed with this. If we can shift McCarthy, Barry and Besic off then bring him in we will have 5 centre mids for 3 positions.

You think he is a replacement for Lukaku?
Going by the stats, the only like for like replacements for Lukaku (in the prem) would be Kane and Aguero. Neither are remotely possible signings for us.

Next tier down (in the prem) would be Costa and Ibrahimovic - do you regard either of those as rational suggestions? Zlatan may not recover from his injury, and Costa would spend half the season banned if he moved to a non-sky 6 team and displayed his normal on-field antics.

So who exactly are you thinking of? Gimme four or five names, in priority order. Let's see who you think is as good as the players named above, but somehow viable options for us.

Fair to say Welbz is leagues ahead of DCL at the moment.
There's only one response for a statement as wildly insane as that.

c96ae5db20a36e5d50b437ca3a0440de.jpg

Going by the stats, the only like for like replacements for Lukaku (in the prem) would be Kane and Aguero. Neither are remotely possible signings for us.

Next tier down (in the prem) would be Costa and Ibrahimovic - do you regard either of those as rational suggestions? Zlatan may not recover from his injury, and Costa would spend half the season banned if he moved to a non-sky 6 team and displayed his normal on-field antics.

So who exactly are you thinking of? Gimme four or five names, in priority order. Let's see who you think is as good as the players named above, but somehow viable options for us.
I don't mean strikers as good as Lukaku now, but we knew that we needed to replace him early in the year so can't figure out why we have started the season with no presence up top.

As for names, the ones you have mentioned are obviously not viable. I thought this is why we have brought Walsh in to get us the next Lukaku. However, apart from Gueye and Sandro, none of the signings we have made for the first team would need much scouting to know they would be a success.

Take Atletico for example they have always had to sell their best strikers, but always have another one lined up once sold.

On Danny Welbeck, I'm torn really. I see him as a really underrated player. He's very quick, carries the ball well, decent in the air, his hold-up play is underrated and given our lack of natural pace in attack, in a way I think he might suit us better than the traditional target man-type player we've been linked with. Having said that, his finishing is erratic and his injury record is up there with Wilshere, Besic, Sturridge and all the other crocks in the league. Tough one, especially as he would undoubtedly be our "main" striker if he came. It'd be a fairly big gamble.
I'm not going to squabble about the other statements in this paragraph, but the sentence I have underlined tells us whether Welbeck is worth signing or not.

I cannot believe anyone is seriously mentioning Welbeck as an option. He's a sicknote, and he can't finish: why on earth would anyone want a striker that meets that description? Several of my in-laws are Gooners and they act like kids on Christmas morning whenever anyone mentions bids for Welbeck. They hold him in roughly the same regard as we do Niasse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back