Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer Transfer Window 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Loan Costa until he can sign for atletico?

Take points off chelseas rivals + keeps him match fit.

Very unlikely, the player knows he will 100% have his move in January and seems content to sit it out until then.

He joined and played for another team on loan then I'd expect him to be absolutely half arsed as to avoid picking any injury up that would jeopardise his move

Disagree with that completely.

He may well be 36 but he looked comfortable still in pre season and played loads last season to a competent level. Sure, wouldn't start him vs City but we could be playing 50 or 60 games this season, and he can play three positions.

Still got so much ability and it's a shame to see him leave.

Strangely - the City home game last season he was absolutely tremendous in as well

I don't mean strikers as good as Lukaku now, but we knew that we needed to replace him early in the year so can't figure out why we have started the season with no presence up top.

As for names, the ones you have mentioned are obviously not viable. I thought this is why we have brought Walsh in to get us the next Lukaku. However, apart from Gueye and Sandro, none of the signings we have made for the first team would need much scouting to know they would be a success.

Take Atletico for example they have always had to sell their best strikers, but always have another one lined up once sold.
That's Atletico Madrid? The team that wanted Sandro Ramirez and would have beaten us to signing him but for a transfer ban?

Mate, you suggest that Walsh should be unearthing the next Lukaku but you don't seem to accept that anyone is a good enough replacement for him unless he's already an established top-level striker. You're contradicting yourself. Does it not seem possible to you that maybe Walsh scouted Sandro extensively and thinks he's the guy?

I know the names i mentioned weren't viable - I said so in my post. As i asked before, who do you envisage as a possible replacement for Lukaku that would meet your contradictory requirements? If we want a "big name" or a hotly-tipped youngster we're going to have to pay out big money... if you want to keep the budget under control then you have to do a little more digging and risk an outbreak of moist anxiety amongst the bed-wetters. There's no such thing as an established top-tier striker in his prime, with a decent track record and owned by a club who wants to sell, who wants to join a team placed 7th in the prem. You're going to have to compromise somewhere.

Wonder if we will be in the market for another CM now?

McCarthy/Besic cant be relied on which leaves Schneiderlin, Gana and Davies.

Wonder if we will be in the market for another CM now?

McCarthy/Besic cant be relied on which leaves Schneiderlin, Gana and Davies.

Will be weird if not. Barry was the only real passing DM we had so that leaves a huge 'role hole'. I have a sneaky suspicion we'll ship out McCarthy too and bring in a passer type (like the Brozovic/Seri links from earlier in the summer indicated), leaving Schneiderlin/Gana/Klaassen/Davies/New player as our 5 CMs for 3 spaces which is about right. We bloody better, anyway.

Will be weird if not. Barry was the only real passing DM we had so that leaves a huge 'role hole'. I have a sneaky suspicion we'll ship out McCarthy too and bring in a passer type (like the Brozovic/Seri links from earlier in the summer indicated), leaving Schneiderlin/Gana/Klaassen/Davies/New player as our 5 CMs for 3 spaces which is about right. We bloody better, anyway.
Morgan/Gana/Davies/Besic is more like it. Klassen can play there, so that gives some relief, or we play with just one. That's plenty. Ross fancies himself one half the time if he ends up staying, he just can't tackle or mark.

Barry is also no longer any better a passer than Morgan or even Besic at this point. If he still is, everything makes him a tremendous liability out there. I'm still just surprise he isn't a free and we aren't contributing salary. Think some of you are forgetting how much space we were conceding at the end of last season when he was on.

Morgan/Gana/Davies/Besic is more like it. Klassen can play there, so that gives some relief, or we play with just one. That's plenty. Ross fancies himself one half the time if he ends up staying, he just can't tackle or mark.

Barry is also no longer any better a passer than Morgan or even Besic at this point. If he still is, everything makes him a tremendous liability out there. I'm still just surprise he isn't a free and we aren't contributing salary. Think some of you are forgetting how much space we were conceding at the end of last season when he was on.

Hugely disagree on Barry re: passing quality compared to Morgan and Besic. Morgan is an excellent 'safe' passer in terms of keeping ball circulating but doesn't (either because he can't, or is told not to) have the same penetrative forward passing of Barry. Besic tries riskier passes but doesn't pull them off as often.

Agreed in terms of the downsides of Barry, but when playing worse teams at home, I'd start him. Davies is our only other CM with good-ish attacking passing and he's just a kid still.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back