Summer Transfer Window 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Issue for me would be signing him and then loaning him if its for a position we currently need, May just see us waiting that year to address it effectively, leaves us short this season mate.

Can agree to disagree on position we need. Think CDM is down on the priority list currently. Now or never deal for me. Rather get him and not see him for a year than never get him. Although with our CB's being wank I'd just ask him to play there with Keane.

Before the end of the window I reckon we'll see a few more outs:

Lennon on loan somewhere with a view to buy.
Niasse out for a similar arrangement. Would love to just sell him for about £5m though.
Robles out for a couple of million to someone like Getafe.

Can't see McCarthy leaving now for some reason.

He will be sold for a couple of millions. A year left in his contract.

From what started as a potential era defining summer for the club, you can't help but think that still nothing has changed in the way the club operates. We sit here now with the tv money, 60 million from China, any potential player sales to come and wonder why aren't we doing business?

We know what types of players we need, but for nothing to be done on that front yet is raising the odd false flag with fans now. Have we chased specific targets (Giroud?) Far too long like last summer, is there just not the money there again? We know siggurdson is replacing the outgoing Barkley so his cost comes down so it's not like even he represents big investment.

I am made up we brought in who we did back in June and we spent the lukaku money wisely , exactly what I wanted the club to do in that scenario. Right now however we seem to be in the same situation we were 12 months ago where we are selling to buy and just not getting business done whatsoever. We should be excited about the future, not watching a disjointed team without the key players and wondering who and if we are even bringing them in.

We've spent about 150 mil including Sigurdsson and received about 100 mil from sales. 50 mil net spend, still needing a striker, a defender and ideally a pacy winger/forward. If we make those signings we'll be looking at at least 100 mil net spend which I don't think anyone can complain about.

However, that's IF we make those signings.

I highly doubt we'll be buying any pace in wide areas, so some people will be disappointed. Suspect Ronko is banking on Bolasie coming back strong and then he's still got Mirallas and Lookman for pacier options too. He won't want to be overstocked.

If we get a good striker and centre back in after Sigurdsson then I honestly reckon we can have a right crack at the top 4.

I highly doubt we'll be buying any pace in wide areas, so some people will be disappointed. Suspect Ronko is banking on Bolasie coming back strong and then he's still got Mirallas and Lookman for pacier options too. He won't want to be overstocked.

If we get a good striker and centre back in after Sigurdsson then I honestly reckon we can have a right crack at the top 4.

I know I'm the voice of doom. I just don't see us anywhere close to the top 4.
Nobody in our midfield or attack would get in any top 4 (Manchester City, United, Chelsea or Tottenham side) and I'm not even sure we'd get more than 1 or 2 (at most) in either the RS or Arsenal midfield.
This looks like a 55 point side at the moment.
Just can't see us scoring enough unless we get a top class striker.

Nobody in our midfield or attack would get in any top 4 (Manchester City, United, Chelsea or Tottenham side) and I'm not even sure we'd get more than 1 or 2 (at most) in either the RS or Arsenal midfield.

You're right, for now. As I said depends on us getting that striker and centre back in.

As for the RS, if I had to do a combined XI there'd be 5 or 6 of our lads in there.

In your mind, how seriously are we taking cup competitions/Europe this year? Let's say we go far in the league cup and at least the knockout stages of the Europa league? Not to mention hopefully doing something in the FA Cup. If top 4 is your priority then we have a decent enough squad to have a crack at it. But last year man united (who have a much better squad than us) proved how difficult it is to compete on all these fronts. Personally I'd be furious if we exit cup competitions early for what is a slim but possible chance of top 4. It feels like when other teams get it we mock the "top 4 trophy", but now it's a priority. Give me European glory and qualification all day.

Why do you only compare attacks? Our defence is better than RS and Arsenal's. It's not all about goals as we've seen in the first round of PL fixtures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back