Summer Transfer Window 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think our defence is stronger because of our style of play rather than because of the individuals in there being better defenders.

Keane would probably get in the RS defence (but they didn't sign him) but I'm not sure Arsenal would have him.
A fit Coleman would get in both.
Baines - maybe, they are both weak at left back
Pickford in RS but not Arsenal
Pickford is english mate he won't get near that arsenal side lol

How many goals did we score when we finished 4th under Moyes?

In 04/05, we finished top 4 with 61 points. Practically ten years later, our record points total wasn't even enough for a top 4 finish. In 04/05, Man City and Spurs were going nowhere and just about scraped into the top 10. The top 4 was just that, a top 4. We managed to overtake Liverpool who were a little distracted by going the distance in the CL. Can we do it this year? Of course. Is it going to be much harder than ever before. Without a doubt. The standards are higher now and there is much more competition.

Also top 4 only gets you into the qualifiers as well and to be honest I wouldn't have fancied our chances against some of the teams in there this year. Napoli, nice, Cska Moscow? Even hoffenheim. I'd take winning the Europa and guaranteeing qualification over getting in the top 4. It may even be easier.

Also in 04/05 Bolton finished 6th and Middlesborough 7th! Using that era is practically pointless as a comparison.

I suspect he's of the Chopra/Rhodes/Nugent ilk. Too good for Championship but not good enough for PL.
He's not too good for the championship. I live in Leeds and go to Elland Road fairly frequently. He's at his level, most of my Leeds mates can't stand him because of the way Leeds play when he is in the team (think Jack Charlton's Ireland) and are delighted with the fee that is being talked about for his Burnley move.

That's not really true though, because for 2 of those transfer windows we had Lukaku; he seemed to do ok over that period...,even if he his a 2 faced king cobra serpent

Absolutely agreed - the point is that we were always going to lose Lukaku, so there's no excuse to be without those things once he's gone.

Kinda skimming over the point I was making though aren't you. You don't have to be high scorers to be successful. Moyes got us 4th and we were hardly scoring at a Monaco rate were we.

Well then that implies we have a manager who is better than any of those in the top 6 teams.

And I don't think anyone would argue that in all seriousness would they?

NET SPEND?!

tenor.gif

Well then that implies we have a manager who is better than any of those in the top 6 teams.

And I don't think anyone would argue that in all seriousness would they?

I don't think there's much at all between Koeman and Klopp.

Klopp's a glorified Martinez. Attacking-wise, yeh his teams play good footy, but he's never been able to defend and for all his supposed greatness, he's won three trophies in his time as a manager.

In 04/05, we finished top 4 with 61 points. Practically ten years later, our record points total wasn't even enough for a top 4 finish. In 04/05, Man City and Spurs were going nowhere and just about scraped into the top 10. The top 4 was just that, a top 4. We managed to overtake Liverpool who were a little distracted by going the distance in the CL. Can we do it this year? Of course. Is it going to be much harder than ever before. Without a doubt. The standards are higher now and there is much more competition.

Also top 4 only gets you into the qualifiers as well and to be honest I wouldn't have fancied our chances against some of the teams in there this year. Napoli, nice, Cska Moscow? Even hoffenheim. I'd take winning the Europa and guaranteeing qualification over getting in the top 4. It may even be easier.

Also in 04/05 Bolton finished 6th and Middlesborough 7th! Using that era is practically pointless as a comparison.

Eras might be different but my point still stands that it's not all about the attack. Saying we won't get near Top 6 because Liverpool have a better attack than us is pointless.

They scored 3 at the weekend, we scored 1. We're higher in the table.

Absolutely agreed - the point is that we were always going to lose Lukaku, so there's no excuse to be without those things once he's gone.

And that's what we'll now bring in, I'm sure we'll have targets in mind and if be surprised if we haven't already started discussions with teams and player representatives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back