Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer Transfer Window 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only the figure is almost certain to reach 90m with the addons mate, and a huge amount of the fee was paid up front which increases the value of the deal in reality.

Was it too cheap - only time will tell, similarly are all those others listed gonna prove to be too expensive - similarly only time will tell. Lukaku is 24 though - not 23, he's also been playing 30+ games every season now since the age of just after he turned 16 (with one season aside), so all the talk about him suddenly improving and ironing out flaws he has had are just talk IMO - you play 200+ games and your still making those same mistakes then you always will do.

Not a hint of bitterness when i say that i think after a initial period of hype and over the top praise at United he will struggle, and end up within 2 years being a scapegoat by the fans for all his flaws, and his on pitch attitude.

We tolerated all that because he was the first out and out goalscorer we've had in about 25 years, if you like we where almost 'too grateful' of his goals and put up with all sorts of put downs and half arsed displays, United and their fans are used to having top class strikers and ones who produce at the top level week in and week out, he replicates his time at here with them and with their manager then he will not last long.
Koeman actually said in an interview we got £95 million for lukaku

Errm don't even bother with any Leipzig player, they've already shown its wasted time trying to buy from them.
True, was just thinking of more options other than the usual donkeys mentioned.
We need someone dynamic who will be a pain in the arse to play against, constant movement and tormenting their last man.
Benteke et al don't inspire me at all

Everything in context though, Wenger made an excellent point yesterday they got Lacazette for 50 millions, Kolasinac for free. Essentially it halved the price, as he got two very competent players for 50 mill, its an example of clever recruitment. It put the Martina deal in context for me.

On Rom, he went earlier in the window and if perhaps going now he would be more expensive, however we also made our signings earlier in the window on the back of the intended cash. If we look at WBA looking for 30 mill for Jonny Evans at 29, Keane at 25 milllooks a snip, Sandro at 5mill looks great business, Pickford for the longevity of his career at 30mill is brilliant, i think we certainly benefited hugely in terms of discount from getting the bulk of our business done in the early stages of the window before the market went bat poo crazy.

I have a feeling doing that enabled us to be able to go that bit further on the fee for Gylfi and hopefully a competent striker.

That final paragraph is the hope mate.

End of the day it's all about context, you'll overpay for some, some will be utter bargains, the key is to avoid going just for bargains which limits you, or overpaying for everything which history shows ends badly unless your money is limitless like city etc.

a for Rom, I think we got fair market value even with the way it's inflating rapidly for him. He is a flawed player which instantly reduced the potential clubs after him, Chelsea wouldn't have gone higher, city don't want him, neither do barca or madrid, which meant United had no need to pay more than they did.

And ultimately I believe the manager was not that bothered about losing him as he was not suited to any system he wants.

True, was just thinking of more options other than the usual donkeys mentioned.
We need someone dynamic who will be a pain in the arse to play against, constant movement and tormenting their last man.
Benteke et al don't inspire me at all

Wagner from hoffenheim would be a realistic shout, suits the system, affordable, and good quality.

That final paragraph is the hope mate.

End of the day it's all about context, you'll overpay for some, some will be utter bargains, the key is to avoid going just for bargains which limits you, or overpaying for everything which history shows ends badly unless your money is limitless like city etc.

a for Rom, I think we got fair market value even with the way it's inflating rapidly for him. He is a flawed player which instantly reduced the potential clubs after him, Chelsea wouldn't have gone higher, city don't want him, neither do barca or madrid, which meant United had no need to pay more than they did.

And ultimately I believe the manager was not that bothered about losing him as he was not suited to any system he wants.

Its a fantastic mixture mate, i like the value we got in the majority of our deals but then mitigating that with premium outlay because i firmly believe you pay for quality Gylfi is a perfect example. I have no problem paying a premium for other clubs catalysts or game changers and adding to our own.

A striker remains the only gaping hole, while i have my issues with selling Lukaku, i think you are right. I think Koeman came in and wasnt arsed about Lukaku or Barkley for that matter, but ever the pragmatist got the best he could out of both and then guillotined them. While my approach would have been to add to them due to our utter dependency on both last season which isn't healthy for the club, i can understand given boths individual contexts why he was/is prepared to cut his losses to evolve.

It would be such an undoing of all the good work done in recruitment this summer, if we cant that last piece, my concern isnt about intent or means but rather availability. I would dread a season of an amazing team making chances and no out and out hitman or focal point to consistently finish them.

Last edited:
We've done brilliant business this summer, the only thing which disappoints me is we've left the hardest signing till last. Nobody is going to sell us their star striker now for anything short of silly money, and I don't think we'll be prepared to pay it.

Really struggle to see who we'll get in, and genuinely think it'll be Slimani or Welbeck now. Neither of which is a disaster by the way, the former particularly would do well here I think. But it's a tad underwhelming.

Congratulations. You've just named all the strikers who the Times said yesterday weren't available for one reason and another.

Reckon you could get benteke or vardy... just have to pay a lot for them. Vardy must want to play for a big team before he retires so I think he would force a move... benteke would also force a move IMO if we offered enough

I am still hoping beyond hope that Walsh's trip to Italy was something to do with Dzeko or Mandzukic, but time is fast running out. I just hope we don't end up with Costa or Welbeck because neither are fit to wear the royal blue.

We've done brilliant business this summer, the only thing which disappoints me is we've left the hardest signing till last. Nobody is going to sell us their star striker now for anything short of silly money, and I don't think we'll be prepared to pay it.

Really struggle to see who we'll get in, and genuinely think it'll be Slimani or Welbeck now. Neither of which is a disaster by the way, the former particularly would do well here I think. But it's a tad underwhelming.

I'm coming around to the idea of Slimani.

He was a very good player before he went to Leicester and it just seemed to go very wrong for him there for no real reason - which happens.

A willing runner and physical, which is what Koeman likes in a forward.

Its a fantastic mixture mate, i like the value we got in the majority of our deals but then mitigating that with premium outlay because i firmly believe you pay for quality Gylfi is a perfect example. I have no problem paying a premiums for other clubs catalysts or game changers and adding to our own.

A striker remains the only gaping hole, while i have my issues with selling Lukaku, i think you are right. I think Koeman came in and wasnt arsed about Lukaku or Barkley for that matter, but ever the pragmatist got the best he could out of both and then guillotined them. While my approach would have been to add to them due to our utter dependency on both last season which isn't healthy for the club, i can understand given boths individual contextx why he was/is prepared to cut his losses to evolve.

It would be such an undoing of all the good work done in recruitment this summer, if we cant that last piece, my concern isnt about intent or means but rather availability. I would dread a season of an amazing team making chances and no out and out hitman or focal point to consistently finish them.

Aye need that striker in, was massively hoping we'd get Giroud but it seems he has settled for being a sub at Arsenal - which kind of makes me not as fussed on missing him - if that's the limit of his ambition now.

Costa would be the absolute dream - but can't see any scenario where it'd be doable.

Dolberg, Dembele and the likes - all great prospects - but for that focal point and for right now we need someone proven in there

Hard job to get this one sorted, but if we don't then criticism can rightly be placed at the door for not sorting it prior to selling.

12 days left to see i guess ;/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back