Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer Transfer Window 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ok, that IS a fair point to make, I concede.

However, we have this summer erred toward the elite spending end of the spectrum on player fees. I think that's also fair to say.

We should never have got on a treadmill where paying £30M/£30M+ becomes our new "norm".

But Dave if the clubs above us are spending 40 m plus on transfer fees to get the calibre of player required for their squad then surely we have to do the same to at least keep up.
If we spend 15/25 m on players and that's our upper limit we will end up competing alongside WBA Stoke West Ham Southampton etc.
We want to move further away from these teams and nearer or overtake those in the top six
As you yourself have said a consistent positive net spend is needed to bridge the gap.
Like you I'm disappointed in this window but for differing reasons.
I'd like 45/55 on a top striker and other sales to pay for a CB/LB and if cash left Dendonker as cover ( yes Zat cover ) for Morgan.
If we want to dine at the Chefs table in a 5 star restaurant we have to be prepared to pay the bill
I want / expect a net spend of 75 m plus

That doesn't answer the point I was making Dave. In fact, it's just one of your anti club statements that has no relevance to my post whatsoever.

Let me remind you should you want to have another go. You said that the club should stay within it's peer group and only pay upto £20/25m on players and spend the profits made on Lukaku wisely. I replied that if we followed those guidelines, we couldn't have bought Lukaku 3 years ago, so wouldn't have the profits to spend on players this window.

But I fail to see the development of ambition from then to now in that point you make. All that's happened is that we've spent MORE big fees this window on three players who might get massive resale for us in years to come as opposed to the one back in 2014 who did. The outcome will be the same: we re-spend the proceeds on whatever is made and we get no further. The only way we do get further is to break that sell to buy cycle AND have a manager who can use ALL resources wisely.

We fail now as we did before in both dimensions.

I cant see it because I haven't got enough data to make that judgement...and neither have you or anyone else.

Fans of his old club and every club he has played for on loan in his 'apprenticeship' have all raved about him, at all level for England the managers have regarded him hugely, he was on the radar for most of the 'top 6' sides

The greatest keeper this club has ever had rated him hugely and wanted us to break the bank to get him.

But big fat lemon headed avatar wanted Begovic so ignores all that ofc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back