Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer Transfer Window 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
We needed players for the European games and couldn't wait. We may never have been able to reach agreement al lower prices.
Club is in a hurry to assemble a squad. V difficult to get the numbers in that we have done this year. Bold decisions early on have ensured targets were brought in.
Other clubs still struggling to do business.
...as are we: a matter of urgency on a CB/LB/winger/CF.

No it hasn't. How has it for the clubs outside the financial elite?

Davek, not sure if you've been paying attention this summer but whether clubs are buying or selling fees are inflating by the day. Even if clubs outside the rich elite are struggling to buy players they are in a position to hold on to them or demand and often get silly money.

Clubs used to wait until late in the window to get bargains but now unless a contract is about to run down fees are going up the more desperate and late in the window it gets.

Everton will have had a list of achievable targets and gone out and bought them... some for probably more than they expected to pay (Sigurdsson) some for less than market value (Sandro) but I suspect they are happy with the overall transfer business so far. The will be bargains we've missed and flops we've dodged. Some will be better than we hoped, some might be worse but at least now we are in the game which hasn't been true for a long time.

Not Pickford? Looks the real deal to me. Similar price to what we got for Rooney ironically. Which also shows, in hindsight, the bargain United got, but also the price we got all them years ago.

If Pickford sticks around for 5 to 8 years, reckon most will be happy.
To be honest roydo I noticed in the game the other night i had faith in him over ones before.

Ball went loose in a crowded box and this time last year I held my breath. The other night it happened and I trusted pickford to grab it

Is this todays line of attack then?

Just checking.

I think a discussion reflecting what has been achieved (and I mentioned them) and what is unachieved as yet is an important one to have with barely over a week in the summer window left.

I think a discussion reflecting what has been achieved (and I mentioned them) and what is unachieved as yet is an important one to have with barely over a week in the summer window left.

You were banging on about resale value. Sigs aside, and Rooney, obvs, not sure that is an issue really.

And for all we know, the transfer market could crash in 3 or 4 years time anyrate, so why be arsed about it? The squad and first team is improved. We do need other bodies in, no doubt, and some signings have so far seemed to be taking time to adjust/are crap. (delete which one you like).

We have a decent net spend, (something I cba about, you very much were a while back), and I am certain we are still fishing for the cover/additions we need.

But Dave if the clubs above us are spending 40 m plus on transfer fees to get the calibre of player required for their squad then surely we have to do the same to at least keep up.
If we spend 15/25 m on players and that's our upper limit we will end up competing alongside WBA Stoke West Ham Southampton etc.
We want to move further away from these teams and nearer or overtake those in the top six
As you yourself have said a consistent positive net spend is needed to bridge the gap.
Like you I'm disappointed in this window but for differing reasons.
I'd like 45/55 on a top striker and other sales to pay for a CB/LB and if cash left Dendonker as cover ( yes Zat cover ) for Morgan.
If we want to dine at the Chefs table in a 5 star restaurant we have to be prepared to pay the bill
I want / expect a net spend of 75 m plus

We cant afford those prices. We have to be able to find a series of 4 star restaurants with up and coming chefs who do just as good quality meals for a lot less cost.

That's called savvy management. Koeman whipping the chequebook out like a drunken sailor on shore leave in Hamburg will just get us a few very expensive sarnies and a dose of the clap.

I cant see it because I haven't got enough data to make that judgement...and neither have you or anyone else.

So we should wait, let a talented young player move to another club where he then moves out of our financial league. If Pickford had gone to West Ham and had two great seasons he would be valued at £60m. Pickford had a good season at Sunderland, as Lukuku did at West Brom. A club at our level can't wait for 100% sure things, players at their very peak... we need to make educated risks and in this case I'm confident its a good one!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back