Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer Transfer Window 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
You were banging on about resale value. Sigs aside, and Rooney, obvs, not sure that is an issue really.

And for all we know, the transfer market could crash in 3 or 4 years time anyrate, so why be arsed about it? The squad and first team is improved. We do need other bodies in, no doubt, and some signings have so far seemed to be taking time to adjust/are crap. (delete which one you like).

We have a decent net spend, (something I cba about, you very much were a while back), and I am certain we are still fishing for the cover/additions we need.
I think this is the most used (and concerning) phrase on transfer activity amongst Evertonians this summer.

I'm concerned because we HAVE to be concerned. We cant operate in a cavalier fashion in the market. We aren't in that place.

Fans of his old club and every club he has played for on loan in his 'apprenticeship' have all raved about him, at all level for England the managers have regarded him hugely, he was on the radar for most of the 'top 6' sides

The greatest keeper this club has ever had rated him hugely and wanted us to break the bank to get him.

But big fat lemon headed avatar wanted Begovic so ignores all that ofc

lol

We cant afford those prices. We have to be able to find a series of 4 star restaurants with up and coming chefs who do just as good quality meals for a lot less cost.

That's called savvy management. Koeman whipping the chequebook out like a drunken sailor on shore leave in Hamburg will just get us a few very expensive sarnies and a dose of the clap.
...that VD fella? ...I thought Southampton were intent on retaining him.

Davek, not sure if you've been paying attention this summer but whether clubs are buying or selling fees are inflating by the day. Even if clubs outside the rich elite are struggling to buy players they are in a position to hold on to them or demand and often get silly money.

Clubs used to wait until late in the window to get bargains but now unless a contract is about to run down fees are going up the more desperate and late in the window it gets.

Everton will have had a list of achievable targets and gone out and bought them... some for probably more than they expected to pay (Sigurdsson) some for less than market value (Sandro) but I suspect they are happy with the overall transfer business so far. The will be bargains we've missed and flops we've dodged. Some will be better than we hoped, some might be worse but at least now we are in the game which hasn't been true for a long time.
Not being funny mate, but can you provide some figures on the clubs outside the so called "top 6" (a nonsense phrase I'll indulge in just here to denote financial elite) who have indulged in massively inflationary fees?

We cant afford those prices. We have to be able to find a series of 4 star restaurants with up and coming chefs who do just as good quality meals for a lot less cost.

That's called savvy management. Koeman whipping the chequebook out like a drunken sailor on shore leave in Hamburg will just get us a few very expensive sarnies and a dose of the clap.

You've contradicted yourself now... first you say you don't have enough data to judge Pickford and then say Everton need to spot up and coming talent... if you wait longer for enough 'data' for proven players then they move beyond our means... you make absolute no sense... I'm out!

OK OK....fair enough

But you have quoted Rooney as costing 10m when he cost nothing. If you are counting 100m for Lukaku of course, you have over estimated by 10m by my reckoning, but I could be wrong, I usually am.
@MorgsGoat likes to have his cake and eat it too. He likes to quote Rooney as costing £10m whilst also applying the £10m "discount" on Rooney as a top up on the £90m fee, hence the £100m quoted. Whilst this leaves us with the exact same net spend he does it to artificially inflate the value of the two players to assist him in other arguents he has (mainly with @davek). You are also correct that he selectively chooses when to apply add ons to the fees (as in your Pickford/Lukaku point), despite his protestations that they ALL MUST BE PAID (when in many cases, e.g. the first Rooney transfer, they do not), to suit his own point.

I think this is the most used (and concerning) phrase on transfer activity amongst Evertonians this summer.

I'm concerned because we HAVE to be concerned. We cant operate in a cavalier fashion in the market. We aren't in that place.

Hang on. You were berating Moshiri for not making a financial statement of intent in the market not long ago. CBA digging the posts out, but the tenor of them was you demanded one to show he isnt just free riding the club.

Pretty sure I said that when he did, you would complain we were overspending.

West From turned down £18m for Jonny Evans, Swansea turned down £40m from two clubs for Siggy before selling him to us. I'm sure Southampton have rejected silly money for VVD.

But I fail to see the development of ambition from then to now in that point you make. All that's happened is that we've spent MORE big fees this window on three players who might get massive resale for us in years to come as opposed to the one back in 2014 who did. The outcome will be the same: we re-spend the proceeds on whatever is made and we get no further. The only way we do get further is to break that sell to buy cycle AND have a manager who can use ALL resources wisely.

We fail now as we did before in both dimensions.
Who mentioned ambition?. I'm just pulling you up on a point that you made Dave. i.e. that we shouldn't spend any more than £20/25m on 1 player. If we stuck to those rules we wouldn't have bought Lukaku. A player I believe you have high regard for and who we recently made a very large profit in when we sold him. That's all I'm saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back