Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer Transfer Window 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
...but we did that as a one off for an established and proven player.

I'm not against spending big. But it has to be sustainable and justifiable. £45M for 28 year old does not fit the bill.

...surely it's much too early to determine the worth of any of the players we've bought. They look decent business but the true value is what they bring to the team. Sigurdsson has played 20mins, he might look incredible value at the end of the season, there again he might not.

Only time will tell so the determination at this stage is purely a matter of opinion.

I think we CAN afford it,Dave, because we wouldn't have spent it if we couldn't afford it ! Mosh obviously has control of the actual money, and he thinks we/he can afford it, I rely on him to be right. It is true that we need an experienced striker and hopefully one will come in, and RK has already said he's looking for back for Baines. Back up or competition depending on who is available, I think. If theres value/quality available at 40 million, and less quality but ony £15 million....its the call of the manager, the DOF and Mosh to make. Sop far we've had a good window....any more will be icing on the cake.
We've had an eventful window, for sure. And yes, some good pick ups in the market like Sandro.

I really cant see big bucks being still available without two or three being sold on now though.

...surely it's much too early to determine the worth of any of the players we've bought. They look decent business but the true value is what they bring to the team. Sigurdsson has played 20mins, he might look incredible value at the end of the season, there again he might not.

Only time will tell so the determination at this stage is purely a matter of opinion.
Yes, but we have to have half an eye on future spending, and incoming fees are crucial to that.

If Sigurdsson gets the winning cup final goal like then it'll balance that fee out.

Hang on. You were berating Moshiri for not making a financial statement of intent in the market not long ago. CBA digging the posts out, but the tenor of them was you demanded one to show he isnt just free riding the club.

Pretty sure I said that when he did, you would complain we were overspending.
The contradictions in argument that @davek deploys has long been noted. His modus operandi is what's termed Janusian (ie two-faced).
But he's entertaining.

Yes, but we have to have half an eye on future spending, and incoming fees are crucial to that.

If Sigurdsson gets the winning cup final goal like then it'll balance that fee out.

..he might be a revelation and Barcelona bid £100m in 12 months or as you say, he could be player of the year in a very successful campaign. Alternatively he might be gash. It really is a pointless discussion at this stage. Let's see how things turn out.

U
We cant afford those prices. We have to be able to find a series of 4 star restaurants with up and coming chefs who do just as good quality meals for a lot less cost.

That's called savvy management. Koeman whipping the chequebook out like a drunken sailor on shore leave in Hamburg will just get us a few very expensive sarnies and a dose of the clap.
with all due respect Dave I think that Moshiri an accountant that deals in billions would have better knowledge than you on what we can and cannot afford to spend in the transfer window
So if the club are happy to spend it then I can only think we can well afford it

...but we did that as a one off for an established and proven player.

I'm not against spending big. But it has to be sustainable and justifiable. £45M for 28 year old does not fit the bill.
OK that's better. So you consider that Lukaku was an exception to your rule and in that regard was an acceptable outlay.

I would argue that he was still very much a work in progress at that time and not, as a 21 year old, established and proven at all. Chelsea were prepared to sell him and none of the "elite" clubs you speak of were prepared to take a punt on him at that stage. I would go one step further and say that the Lukaku deal is no different to us spending similar amounts on Pickford, Keane and Klaassen today. So I don't see why the Lukaku purchase should be considered an acceptable exception to your rule

Granted paying £45m on a 27 year old is a different ball game and time will tell if Sigurdsson is money well spent.

anigif_sub-buzz-29259-1500966662-1.gif

Me when I see davek has entered the thread.

I'm still doing that. Let's not confuse this splurge with an injection of capital into the squad. This is recycling. Hence my entirely consistent view that this once in a generation player sale windfall be spent wisely.
But if it's recycling where did the 45 m net spend money come from
Please please for the sake of all that's holy don't say the Barkley and MCCarthy money
THEY AINT SOLD YET

Really?

Which ones? Even your hero has stated he needs three of those positions filled a couple of nights ago.

No he never, he said we need a left footed centre back, who can also cover for Baines and a centre forward and a centre forward; here is the quote, direct from the king himself:

We are looking for a left-footed central defender, maybe as back-up for Leighton Baines. With the injury to Funes Mori we don't have any left-footers on that side as a back-up for Leighton. That's an option.

Also a striker because I think even with the talent of Dominic and Ramirez, look to other squads. They have that number of players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back