Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer Transfer Window 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, dont wait. Bargain with a selling club. It's what happens...or rather it's what happens when a manager is not in an unseemly hurry and cant be arsed haggling.
When you are buying players who are perceived as ready (and all of them are full internationals) you pay that price I'm afraid.

I have always agreed on Pickford/Begovic but the lads doing well but it's his tendency to punch which worries me as he does it too often at the moment. Begovic is moot now though. We have to hope Pickford trains on.

Back to transfers though I am still generally very happy and I don't think we desperately need anyone with how we are set up but we have very little depth in a couple of positions as Koeman has highlighted.

OK that's better. So you consider that Lukaku was an exception to your rule and in that regard was an acceptable outlay.

I would argue that he was still very much a work in progress at that time and not, as a 21 year old, established and proven at all. Chelsea were prepared to sell him and none of the "elite" clubs you speak of were prepared to take a punt on him at that stage. I would go one step further and say that the Lukaku deal is no different to us spending similar amounts on Pickford, Keane and Klaassen today. So I don't see why the Lukaku purchase should be considered an acceptable exception to your rule

Granted paying £45m on a 27 year old is a different ball game and time will tell if Sigurdsson is money well spent.
Two back to back seasons in the PL scoring 17 then 15 goals.

That was established.

James McCarthy, meanwhile, is no closer to recovering from his knee injury with the Everton boss suggesting it will be after the international break before he is fit.
You mean the same International break he's been called up to and will most probably play in.

Luckily it's after the window closes so hopefully will already have been sold by then. If not, don't expect him to be fit to play again until the next International break in October.

You mean the same International break he's been called up to and will most probably play in.

Luckily it's after the window closes so hopefully will already have been sold by then. If not, don't expect him to be fit to play again until the next International break in October.

Yup. No point of keeping a player who only plays for his national team.

Pretty much a level down to our spending.

Exactly and look at the crap that money has brought in.

Everybody is overpaying and experiencing the market inflation.

Championship strikers are regularly going for 15 million.

World's gone mad, I hope we can afford a striker before the next bump in prices comes in.

Think he was a favourite of @Zatara last summer window IIRC. Why do we seem to only be getting linked with attacking midfielders? Its strikers and CBs we want.

I was the one who didn't want him (even if he was a youngster), not been so good for samp and I preferred tielemans by miles at Anderlecht.

Its still a no from me...

Two back to back seasons in the PL scoring 17 then 15 goals.

That was established.
Not to justify the amount we paid for him bearing in mind £28m represented a damn site more of our turnover in the summer of 2014 than it does now. Plus as I said, none of the so called elite clubs were interested and one of them was actually offloading him. It was a huge gamble for us at that stage.

Don't get me wrong. I'm absolutely delighted that we took that gamble as I am that we have taken similar gambles on Keane, Pickford and Klaassen. I just don't agree with that you should make an exception for spending that sort of money on Lukaku, but criticise the other 3.

I was the one who didn't want him (even if he was a youngster), not been so good for samp and I preferred tielemans by miles at Anderlecht.

Its still a no from me...
Right. I knew you had an opinion on him. As you say, looks like things didn't work out for him at Sampdoria, so somehow that makes him ideal for us:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back