Summer Transfer Window 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't see Benteke coming at all.

Even if he might not fit Palace under how De Boer likes to play, he is still going to be their main source of goals.

Expecting them to sell with practically no time to replace him seems fanciful.

He would cost £50m which I doubt we have to spare, and even if we did, they wouldn't accept our first bid just like that.

We would already have to be in negotiations to sign him, and that would have broken in the media if it was the case.

only if palace were desperate to rebuid their squad and its prob to late for that

or...swap him for mcarthy, niasse and lennon

A meal can be a mix of technical elements and an emotional experience though, so calculating 'value' can be difficult. The world's best meal is unlikely to be value for money if you have a massive argument with your other half. There are objective elements that can be used but it's not the whole story.

The business of football and transfer values involve sums far beyond normal experience. However for someone to say (for example) 'Sigurdsson is only worth £20m' I'd ask what the rationale is for that? Compared to what? Some other bloke who nominally plays in the same position but actually has a different set of advantages and disadvantages? OK, then list them so people can discuss them and learn from them.
That's not what happens though. It's 'he's not worth £x' and there's a different subtext to the argument.

I'd never say someone is too much, because I've no detailed idea (just some vague sense) about the level of analysis being done by Everton and other clubs.

That said, a great goalkeeper is worth their weight in gold

That's a very serene and calming post
Almost like a Buddhist monk giving advice

Can we stop the internet for a minute
Did somebody actually mention Sam Vokes
I mean Sam Fookin Vokes.
I'm going back to bed
I can't see Sam wanting to leave Burnley. Similarly, Andy Carroll is settled at West Ham. Difficult to see them moving to us, even if we were to break our salary structure in tempting them here.

Can we stop the internet for a minute
Did somebody actually mention Sam Vokes
I mean Sam Fookin Vokes.
I'm going back to bed

i might have done...

hqdefault.jpg

It can attract a vast amount of players David, exposure and bigger off field deals for the players, its a massive draw.

But hey, dont take my word for it.

However, the former Ajax man says he would have thought twice about joining Tottenham if they had missed out on a European spot two years ago.

“I’d rather play in Europe than nothing,” said the Danish midfielder. “Of course there are many games but if you have a big squad like we have I think it shouldn’t be a disappointment to play in Europe. A lot of players want to be in Europe.

“Is it a factor when it comes to signing players? I think so, it would be for me personally. I don’t know if it is for anybody else but I think so. Of course that will probably help the team and the club as well [if we qualify].
Later stages you get exposure.

Hand on heart did you even watch an Ajax EL game last season before the QF/SF stage?

I doubt many did.

No obviously, but for the exact same reason we shouldn't assume because players the same age or younger have done should mean he can. Players develop at different rates.
That's my point though: it's nothing to do with age: having the talent and presence to lead an attack. Others defending him are excusing the absence of those qualities in C-L on the grounds of age. IMO you have that (or at least display those qualities on a number of occasions to underline the potential) or you dont.

He just looks like a player in the mould of James Vaughan to me. Someone alright - good movement, lay a short pass off, give and go - but never in a million years an answer to what any club at our level and ambition needs up front.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back