Summer Transfer Window 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
See this is where I disagree. Losing his goals would have made an enormous difference, in my opinion much much bigger than most people seem to realise.

If you're playing three games a week like we will be doing, do you think it is better to have won the first one 4-0 and been able to take a few players off and take your foot off the gas for half an hour, or to have to keep battling and working hard for every second of the 90 minutes to preserve a 1-0 lead? I know which one I'd prefer.
It's a valid point, and obviously I'd prefer we were smashing teams 3/4-0 every week. My point really was that it's as straight forward as "we need to replace X number of goals". Even when we went a goal down last night, I never for one minute thought we would not go through; I couldn't have had that confidence in the past. We definitely need a quality striker, but improvements in other areas of the pitch means we won't necessarily need someone who can score 20 goals a season.

Losing your main scorer is a problem , we need a striker who will give a min 15 goals

Back this up with alternatives; Sandro, Rooney, DCL to top up goal tally will be fine but without a direct replacement for Lukaku we are really exposed to injuries, loss of form and games fixtures.

DCL and Sandro ae learning their trades and bedding into new league

We need to spend big to ensure all the good work securing Keane, Pickford and Sig is not wasted and the push on the top 6 falters

Well as I said, we don't need that at all. We need a team that wins games. That means not conceding goals as well as scoring them.

From where I sit in the balcony, I reckon we'll concede 10 less, just not having Lukaku in the side. When his marker wasn't strolling past him to put us back under pressure it was bouncing off his rubber shins.

We're a far better unit now.

See this is where I disagree. Losing his goals would have made an enormous difference, in my opinion much much bigger than most people seem to realise.

If you're playing three games a week like we will be doing, do you think it is better to have won the first one 4-0 and been able to take a few players off and take your foot off the gas for half an hour, or to have to keep battling and working hard for every second of the 90 minutes to preserve a 1-0 lead? I know which one I'd prefer.
i agree - hate the stat how "lukaku won us 0 points". Another point is if he scores the first, then the opposition have to come out and attack more - if we score more goals as a result of that say another 2 you are discounting the fact he scored the first and completely changed the game.

see united vs swansea last week. they were not looking like scoring, lukaku scores the first, swans heads go down. they add 3 more. to say lukakus goals dont win point is simplistic at best.

on a side - he put in a really poor shift against swansea i thought, plus didnt even try to challenge for a header. we've gaied on that front but lost the great goal threat.

i still totally agree with the view that he doesnt influence the big games, i just dont like the "his goals are worth 0 points" arguement.

Well as I said, we don't need that at all. We need a team that wins games. That means not conceding goals as well as scoring them.

From where I sit in the balcony, I reckon we'll concede 10 less, just not having Lukaku in the side. When his marker wasn't strolling past him to put us back under pressure it was bouncing off his rubber shins.

We're a far better unit now.

Restricted view?

i agree - hate the stat how "lukaku won us 0 points". Another point is if he scores the first, then the opposition have to come out and attack more - if we score more goals as a result of that say another 2 you are discounting the fact he scored the first and completely changed the game.

see united vs swansea last week. they were not looking like scoring, lukaku scores the first, swans heads go down. they add 3 more. to say lukakus goals dont win point is simplistic at best.

on a side - he put in a really poor shift against swansea i thought, plus didnt even try to challenge for a header. we've gaied on that front but lost the great goal threat.

i still totally agree with the view that he doesnt influence the big games, i just dont like the "his goals are worth 0 points" arguement.
As a man who likes a first goalscorer bet. I can assure you Lukaku did not score many first goals for us. Nor did he score utds first against Swansea last week.

Reactions: kev

I didn't say his goals were meaningless, I said we would miss them and they would be hard to replace. But, as you quite rightly say, there are lots of things that impact a result so it is equally simplistic to say "we need to replace 24 goals".

It's a valid point, and obviously I'd prefer we were smashing teams 3/4-0 every week. My point really was that it's as straight forward as "we need to replace X number of goals". Even when we went a goal down last night, I never for one minute thought we would not go through; I couldn't have had that confidence in the past. We definitely need a quality striker, but improvements in other areas of the pitch means we won't necessarily need someone who can score 20 goals a season.
Maybe not 20, but I really think we need a proper goal threat - someone who you would back to get 15 goals at least.

Last years top 4 all scored (considerably) more and conceded less than we did. Just reducing the goals against column won't be enough to close that gap. Our games so far this season show why you need to be able to put games to bed. We've had hard 2nd legs in both European ties when we really should have been able to put them to bed after the 1st leg. After never really being worried by Stoke it took a top class save to maintain the 3 points, and we were pegged back by City because of one error.

Having a player who scores a lot scares teams, it wins you points before you even step on the pitch because they're worried about what might happen if they come and have a go. Just look at the comments on here from people about what would have happened if we'd dared to have the odd counter attack against a City side down to 10 men to see how mentality changes when you know a side has dangerous attacking players. It's also important to note that our defensive improvement hasn't been properly measured yet. We kept lots of clean sheets last year and looked generally good but could then get the absolute run around from better sides. We'll have to see whether we can avoid that this year. Some of our defending last night was pretty ropey if we're being honest.

Great result last night. Welcome to Everton Gylfi :cheers:.

We do still need a proven premier league CF but at the moment iam more concerned about cover for Leighton at LB.

He has started the season like a train, but Sunday will be his 3rd high profile game in 6 days and he is no spring chicken anymore.

I think we missed a trick when Robertson went to the RS for a bargain price.

I have mentioned elsewhere that Ben Davies at Spurs should be on our radar, maybe a deal involving Ross and cash could still be done.

Any other decent LB/CB's out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back