Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer Transfer Window 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me the benchmark for a new signing has to be one thing - "Would this player start for any of the current top 6?", not just "Would they improve the squad?" This is why I'm absolutely not having these Amavi/Pickford etc. shouts.

For example, Coleman would start for City. Gueye would most likely start for Spurs, Schneids for Liverpool, Lukaku for Chelsea etc. hey ho, lo and behold, those 4 happen to be our best players.

Would Mirallas start for a top 6 side? Funes Mori/Williams/Baines? Not a chance. So we need to replace them, whether it's with established quality like Van Dijk or outcasts from the other big clubs that could come good - Alderweireld, Schneids etc. This summer is where Walsh really has to start earning his badges.

Its not as simple as that though. Gueye wasnt good enough for us according to most on here let alone a top 6 side. Lukaku was wanted by us and West Brom, Schneiderlin was a lower league journeyman and who the hell was Coleman?

Until you sign someone and they play for you you don't really know how it will turn out.

For me the benchmark for a new signing has to be one thing - "Would this player start for any of the current top 6?", not just "Would they improve the squad?" This is why I'm absolutely not having these Amavi/Pickford etc. shouts.

For example, Coleman would start for City. Gueye would most likely start for Spurs, Schneids for Liverpool, Lukaku for Chelsea etc. hey ho, lo and behold, those 4 happen to be our best players.

Would Mirallas start for a top 6 side? Funes Mori/Williams/Baines? Not a chance. So we need to replace them, whether it's with established quality like Van Dijk or outcasts from the other big clubs that could come good - Alderweireld, Schneids etc. This summer is where Walsh really has to start earning his badges.

As if Williams / Baines wouldn't start at the RS or Arsenal.

Both of them have absolute horrors in defence.

As if Williams / Baines wouldn't start at the RS or Arsenal.

Both of them have absolute horrors in defence.

??????? Williams ????????????

Sadly, I'd have agreed three years ago. Now, he looks a bit finished

Real letdown as I thought he'd be perfect for us and on occasion has done some great things. Brave though, good blocks. Good chance he is just being made to look bad by Funes the Flop

Orly my love, the RS have:

Klaven
Matip
Lovren
Lucas Leiva

Tell me he's not getting in that side. MATE?!

And Arsenal - Koscielny is probably the best defender in the league. Alongside him are some of the worst.

Orly my love, the RS have:

Klaven
Matip
Lovren
Lucas Leiva

Tell me he's not getting in that side. MATE?!

And Arsenal - Koscielny is probably the best defender in the league. Alongside him are some of the worst.

Missed the RS bit apologies , just meant Arsenal

Yes both defos starters for the horrors

Its not as simple as that though. Gueye wasnt good enough for us according to most on here let alone a top 6 side. Lukaku was wanted by us and West Brom, Schneiderlin was a lower league journeyman and who the hell was Coleman?

Until you sign someone and they play for you you don't really know how it will turn out.

While I agree with your point in principle mate, that bit in bold is bull crap.

Schneiderlin moved to S'ton from France at age 19 and stayed with them all the way into the PL, moving on at age 25.

He's not exactly a 'journeyman'

Real letdown as I thought he'd be perfect for us and on occasion has done some great things. Brave though, good blocks. Good chance he is just being made to look bad by Funes the Flop

I know you made a mistake like but on Williams, he just looks so much better in a back three.

Holgate's pace and actual ability to pass mean that Williams can concentrate on being the leader and organiser, which he is very good at.

When he's in a two (with either Holgate or Mori) his lack of pace has been exposed as the positioning of the others (Holgate due to age/experience, Funes is just thick) leaves huge gaps that we can't plug.

He doesn't do it now though that's the problem. he comes on, runs into a defender and then we basically play with 10 men.

Shame as he obviously has talent but i think he is going to have to find himself elsewhere as we don't really have that luxury right now.
Agree fully. He's had ample opportunity to be a starter, both under RK and Martinez before him, but he just doesn't have either the consistency or fitness levels. I do, however, think he is the type of player that can be effective off the bench though, and has it in his locker to provide one moment of magic that can get us back into a match or make a difference against teams who park the bus.

I don't think he was prepared to play a bit part though which is why I think we agreed to the Milan loan. My beef is not that we got rid in January, as he doesn't deserve a place in the starting XI. My issue is that we didn't bring a like player in to replace him, especially with Bolasie being our for the season.

Schneiderlin moved to S'ton from France at age 19 and stayed with them all the way into the PL, moving on at age 25.

I couldnt think of another term at the time.

Either way he was a lower league player for a decent amount of time. Point is you never know where a player is going to come from and do a job.

Apologies for the second English lesson I've given in the last 24 hours, but the term 'journeyman' has nothing to do with changing clubs regularly. It's a term used for people who are qualified and competent but not 'masters' at their trade.

Apologies for the second English lesson I've given in the last 24 hours, but the term 'journeyman' has nothing to do with changing clubs regularly. It's a term used for people who are qualified and competent but not 'masters' at their trade.

In footballing terms it is often used to refer to the former though...

Anyway, semantics.

He was never a journeyman IMO. He spent three seasons total in league one and the champ.

Would we class Cahill as a journeyman?

In footballing terms it is often used to refer to the former though...

Anyway, semantics.

He was never a journeyman IMO. He spent three seasons total in league one and the champ.

Would we class Cahill as a journeyman?
No, it is semantics, that's why I apologised.

I wasn't questioning your point, just wanted to clarify the meaning because I'm a pedant on stuff like that. You're right, it is often used in that way, but for the same reason you did it - believing the journey bit relates to moving around - rather than it actually having that meaning.

I'd seriously go all out for The Ox. He could play any where across the midfield, constantly works, actually takes some kind of responsibility, and has bags of talent.

I'd seriously go all out for The Ox. He could play any where across the midfield, constantly works, actually takes some kind of responsibility, and has bags of talent.

Problem is mate he's absolute garbage on the wing, he's best by miles in centre mid where we are already stocked well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back