Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Everton's Transfer Window

• Good

Votes: 394 49.0%
  • Alright

Votes: 329 40.9%
  • Poor

Votes: 81 10.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Its incredibly strange that weve not seen more action so far this window.

Have 11+ players to sell and 4 or 5 to sign.

Need to see moves this week i think.
Not many teams have done much in fairness Zat. I think you'll see a big upturn in transactions now more players are returning to squads from International duty.

Hopefully us included.

Stats relating to goals and assists can be useful, but it's nonsense to tie a player's worth entirely to those things. Having players like Bernard and Digne on one side has an effect on teams beyond just providing assists - they pre-occupy other players, which in turn creates space for players like Siggy. Unfortunately, if you only ever see MOTD or watch us on the TV, you tend to miss out on those things because they aren't where the camera is facing.
If you have actually watched us in the final part of last season and didn't think there was potential in the likes of Bernard then I wonder what possible enjoyment people can get from football.

I don't understand why you both have such a love in with Leicester City. I know it's all about opinions, but as things stands right now, there is only Jamie Vardy who walks into our team. You could also argue for Maguire, but I personally am not a fan and would go with Mina/Keane, but that's just me. United think he's worth spending £80m on so what do I know.

What I will say is that Leicester have some cracking young prospects with a very high ceiling. Players like Chilwell, Ndidi, Barnes, Maddison and Tielemans all have massive potential, and whilst I would admittedly love to see any of them in our squad, right now they are not quite good enough to start ahead of our first choice XI. The other issue for Leicester is, as these players develop, they are going to find it very hard to keep hold of them as bigger clubs come knocking, as they've found previously with the likes of Kante and Mahrez.

If any team is going to break into the top 6 next season I think it will be us, not Leicester. If Leicester can hold onto those young players and they develop as expected, and we keep the same team, I would probably have a different mind set in another year or so. But not right now.

@Kieran. I think this covers a few points in your last post too. Leicester's squad is full of potential whereas ours, with a couple of quality additions, is ready to seriously challenge the top 6 IMO. An example is your views on the defenders. You picked four from Leicester and just Digne from Everton. Our defence was better than Leicester's overall last season. And in the final third of the season once we'd got to grips with zonal marking, we only conceded 8 goals in 13 games, including games against all of the top 6, with 9 clean sheets along the way. That's a fantastic platform to start the new season from.

Also my response to your original post probably appeared harsh because the post just seemed so dismissive of the Everton players. But fair do's for subsequently adding some meat to the bones. I don't agree with you as I believe, if we're to push on next season, we need experience over potential.

Subjective.

Stats relating to goals and assists can be useful, but it's nonsense to tie a player's worth entirely to those things. Having players like Bernard and Digne on one side has an effect on teams beyond just providing assists - they pre-occupy other players, which in turn creates space for players like Siggy. Unfortunately, if you only ever see MOTD or watch us on the TV, you tend to miss out on those things because they aren't where the camera is facing.
If you have actually watched us in the final part of last season and didn't think there was potential in the likes of Bernard then I wonder what possible enjoyment people can get from football.
What I don't understand is why we have to act like Bernard can't do all of those things and produce goals and assists on his own. A winger who did that I would enjoy.

What I don't understand is why we have to act like Bernard can't do all of those things and produce goals and assists on his own. A winger who did that I would enjoy.

He may well do that in the next year or so, now he has settled and got used to the league. If he can't produce more in terms of G&A then he may be looking over his shoulder, but I suspect if the team keeps playing like we did at the back end of last season, Silva will see him as an important part of that.

He may well do that in the next year or so, now he has settled and got used to the league. If he can't produce more in terms of G&A then he may be looking over his shoulder, but I suspect if the team keeps playing like we did at the back end of last season, Silva will see him as an important part of that.
For me the wingers primary responsibility is to score and create. Opening up space for Digne is important and great but also something that any half decent winger should do. Digne is good enough that he will get his crosses in. So Bernard needs to step up and do more on his own for me. And he might. But everyone goes on about how great he was late in the year and he had 1 goal and 0 assists after Boxing Day. For me he stayed pretty consistent through the season and that level wasn't enough if we are serious about CL in the coming years.

To be fair, PL market has been pretty dead all summer.

I'm wondering if the 'Sky-era' transfer bubble is about to burst. The market is hugely inflated (e.g. Maguire/Zaha each valued at £80m) which means realistically very few clubs can afford them and get deals done quickly and as such the merry-go round cannot begin. Last year, we were accused of setting the benchmark, by agreeing to pay Watford £40m for Richarlison, which now looks great value, and other clubs are taking a similar stance for who they see as their key players.

I can see it being one of the craziest transfer deadline days ever and potentially a lot of late panic-buying is going to happen. I am like every other fan, wanting us to close big deals as soon as possible, but not to the long-term detriment of the club. If it takes another window or two to build sustainable success, then so be it.

I am really pleased we have Brands. The fact that he is there sitting alongside the scholars signing their first contracts shows he is now completely part of the fabric of the club and has a long-term view. He has shown that he is willing to pull the trigger and pay the money when required (e.g. Richarlison) and hold out at a maximum price (e.g. Digne, Mina) and we have to trust that he will do the same again, even if it means missing out (like not paying £45m for Haller for example, if we had an interest at all). Just need him to find a few quality South American bargains to keep us moving forward in the meantime!

Last season was a 'perfect storm' in that all those 34 wide players who created and scored more than Bernard got extremely lucky and had their best seasons ever.

All the while, Bernard got very unlucky and 'if we had a better striker' or if 'he'd put a few of those sitters away' then his numbers would have been comparable to those aforementioned players.

It's all just bad luck.

NB: This logic cannot be applied to any other player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back