Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Everton's Transfer Window

• Good

Votes: 394 49.0%
  • Alright

Votes: 329 40.9%
  • Poor

Votes: 81 10.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very good post but if Lemina and Gbamin go through it will most likely be Gbamin/Gomes/Lemina in mid and Delph would still be second fiddle.

The thing that screams to me the most that we want to transition away from Gylfi and the 4231 is the signing of yet another CM in Lemina. Think we will he set up in either a 4231 or 433 by who is on the squad list for game day. If Gbamin starts 433 if Gylfi starts 4231 with Lemina and Gomes always filling the CM roles
Get the feeling we'll get either Gbamin or Lemina, playing one off against the other in the window, but not both.

Reckon Lemina and Gomes as DCMs and Sig ahead is a real worry defensively.
Gomes is suspect defensively and although i haven't seem much of him but I get the feel Lemina isn't disciplined enough or near the same level to make up for it as Gana did.
Reckon it'd be Lemina and Delph when Sigs at 10.
Or Delph and Gomes either side of Lemina, with Sig competing for Delph and Gomes spot in a 3 midfield.
As been arguing, the three is much more solid defensively while losing nothing in attack.

Get the feeling we'll get either Gbamin or Lemina, playing one off against the other in the window, but not both.

Reckon Lemina and Gomes as DCMs and Sig ahead is a real worry defensively.
Gomes is suspect defensively and although i haven't seem much of him but I get the feel Lemina isn't disciplined enough or near the same level to make up for it as Gana did.
Reckon it'd be Lemina and Delph when Sigs at 10.
Or Delph and Gomes either side of Lemina, with Sig competing for Delph and Gomes spot in a 3 midfield.
As been arguing, the three is much more solid defensively while losing nothing in attack.

Given the links to Lemina seem to have come from Everton's side, I think (it's just a theory) we may be leaking it to try and just smoke out Mainz a bit.

We're gonna have to play a different way whatever without Gana, but from the little (albeit, it is little) I know of Gbamin, I'd wager he's a safer bet defensively than Lemina - who if we did sign, is like you say more of a box-to-box player (and we've signed Delph for that role).

Given the links to Lemina seem to have come from Everton's side, I think (it's just a theory) we may be leaking it to try and just smoke out Mainz a bit.

We're gonna have to play a different way whatever without Gana, but from the little (albeit, it is little) I know of Gbamin, I'd wager he's a safer bet defensively than Lemina - who if we did sign, is like you say more of a box-to-box player (and we've signed Delph for that role).
He is. This theory makes some sense.

Regardless, Lemina is a pretty good player. But if we are going to loan Schneiderlin and need another mid, I'd sure rather have more of a #6 like Sammassekou or someone that can play it, but is flexible like Sangare.

Y hard to know wtf is going on.
Lemina's could be good if coached well into that role but its a big risk imo.
And not thinking Gbamin is the answer.
Now that we got Kean the DCM is everything.
Sure they can only go for what's available.

God can't wait for this window to be over.

That was my point as well. That Everton lad can go for 35m and substantially less wages. Yet we are going to spend absurd amounts on Zaha?

Well, Everton is a very similar player in terms of a diminutive, pacy playmaker who likes to play on the left to one we already have in Bernard. He does offer more of a goal threat than Bernard, but he's still quite a similar player. You also have the fact that Everton would have to come over here and settle into the league and that's not always a sure thing of happening quickly. £35m is still a heck of a lot of money.

Zaha is more of a powerful player and totally different to Bernard or Everton really. Plus, he does have a good record in the PL - imagine if one of our other forwards/wingers had contributed 10 goals and 5 assists last season, mate? That's probably gonna get you another 12 points at least, if not more.

In Zaha's past three seasons he's scored a total of 26 goals and got 21 assists playing in a Palace team often scrapping and under a varying degree of rubbish managers. That's a good return and if we'd have had a player who isn't a striker contributing an average of 9 goals per season and 7 assists, we'd be very happy. I think he won four or five pens last year, two of which were missed (one against us).

So there would definitely be logic in it. Not at £80m, no. But given we're bringing in a totally unproven (albeit very, very promising) striker, there'd be more logic in going for someone we know could do it in the Prem for slightly more cash than taking still a big £35-45m punt on a player who we're unsure on.

Probably the next level down will be someone like a Bertrand Traore - i.e. a player who has done it in European competition and has similar assets in a lot of ways to Zaha - but is less rounded.

We need four wingers/wide forwards who offer different things, really. Lookman has gone and now's the opportunity to get a direct player in to fill the void. You have Bernard as that link player and then have Richarlison who is basically an inside forward. The odd one out is Walcott who kind of offers a bit of a mix of Richarlison and a more direct winger without having much of the end product, and he'll need replacing too, but it'll be further down the line ultimately barring a late bid we can't refuse.

All in all, it's about balance. Everton's a good player, but he's similar to what we have already in how he plays.

Well, Everton is a very similar player in terms of a diminutive, pacy playmaker who likes to play on the left to one we already have in Bernard. He does offer more of a goal threat than Bernard, but he's still quite a similar player. You also have the fact that Everton would have to come over here and settle into the league and that's not always a sure thing of happening quickly. £35m is still a heck of a lot of money.

Zaha is more of a powerful player and totally different to Bernard or Everton really. Plus, he does have a good record in the PL - imagine if one of our other forwards/wingers had contributed 10 goals and 5 assists last season, mate? That's probably gonna get you another 12 points at least, if not more.

In Zaha's past three seasons he's scored a total of 26 goals and got 21 assists playing in a Palace team often scrapping and under a varying degree of rubbish managers. That's a good return and if we'd have had a player who isn't a striker contributing an average of 9 goals per season and 7 assists, we'd be very happy. I think he won four or five pens last year, two of which were missed (one against us).

So there would definitely be logic in it. Not at £80m, no. But given we're bringing in a totally unproven (albeit very, very promising) striker, there'd be more logic in going for someone we know could do it in the Prem for slightly more cash than taking still a big £35-45m punt on a player who we're unsure on.

Probably the next level down will be someone like a Bertrand Traore - i.e. a player who has done it in European competition and has similar assets in a lot of ways to Zaha - but is less rounded.

We need four wingers/wide forwards who offer different things, really. Lookman has gone and now's the opportunity to get a direct player in to fill the void. You have Bernard as that link player and then have Richarlison who is basically an inside forward. The odd one out is Walcott who kind of offers a bit of a mix of Richarlison and a more direct winger without having much of the end product, and he'll need replacing too, but it'll be further down the line ultimately barring a late bid we can't refuse.

All in all, it's about balance. Everton's a good player, but he's similar to what we have already in how he plays.
Huh, for some reason I thought he was the same as the others, a left footed right winger

@CRIMHEAD

Can you offer us a detailed scouting report on Calvin Stengs please mate ?
He may have only played a handful of matches for AZ so far in his career, but the 19-year-old’s talent was clear to see and it is safe to say he is one of the most gifted wingers the Netherlands have produced in recent years.

A tall and strong left-footed right winger, Stengs has explosive pace and excellent technique. He can glide past his opponents at will on the right and loves to cut in and shoot at goal, just like a certain Arjen Robben.

Stengs has a slender figure but he is strong and hard to knock off the ball when he decides to drive at a defence. He also has the quick feet to beat his opponents in tight spaces.

@CRIMHEAD

Can you offer us a detailed scouting report on Calvin Stengs please mate ?
Funny you mention him. He's obviously a left footed player that plays a lot on the right. I ran through some data a couple weeks ago and filtered out a bunch of data - think it was guys that both score, create, and take care of the ball, something to that effect, and he made the cut. His numbers are pretty good and I do remember watching him a bit at some point.

Here are my notes last time I watched him play at AZ - tall, very left footed, but saw him bury a right footer, too. Seems underrated. Can score.

Young and inconsistent as I recall, but yeah, I flagged him and a couple other 20/21 year olds that were good fits based on the data at least - Tsygankov, Havertz (obvious), Diaby at Bayern, Chukwueze, Odegaard, Hagi, Doan at Groningen, Leon Bailey, Pedrinho at Corinthians (who I know little about, don't get to watch that league), etc. Lukebakio was in there, too, but he's been playing CF some so it's not the best comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back