Summer transfer window 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
These stats are completely meaningless, it was a completely different team and set of players.
I like Gnonto and think he is better than of the some of the players he has but the assist thing is a myth, as it 100% depends on the striker you have.

People said the same the last few windows when 2 summers ago I said we don't have the players who create in this team, we then went and finished 19th for chances created and survived relegation by the skin of our teeth. And last summer when vast majority were thrilled with our summer window - I repeatedly said we didn't have any players with any proven credentials of scoring more than 5 league goals a season, or providing assists/chances etc and how our team was less equipped to survive relegation last season than the season before. Look what happened.

The point is - we can't expect players who haven't ever scored goals regularly to suddenly start scoring them.

I've not seen Gnonto play, but if he comes in we need him to at least replace Gray's goals - which to be fair, isn't a big challenge but we need more creativity and composure... goals in that final third. A lot more goals. Otherwise start stocking up on your blood pressure medications for another season.

People said the same the last few windows when 2 summers ago I said we don't have the players who create in this team, we then went and finished 19th for chances created and survived relegation by the skin of our teeth. And last summer when I repeatedly said we didn't have any players with any proven credentials of scoring more than 5 league goals a season, or providing assists/chances etc and how our team was less equipped to survive relegation last season than the season before. Look what happened.

The point is - we can't expect players who haven't ever scored goals regularly to suddenly start scoring them.

I've not seen Gnonto play, but if he comes in we need him to at least replace Gray's goals - which to be fair, isn't a big challenge but we need more creativity and composure... goals in that final third. A lot more goals. Otherwise start stocking up on your blood pressure medications for another season.

You have to remember that Gnonto was a 18/19 year old in his first PL season. Gray is like 25/26 and is still very hit and miss. I think 2/3 of Gray's goals were pens as well so I think we will be replacing Gray's goals with Gnonto.

What's not to like? Making a 10+ mil profit on an average winger and replacing him with someone with a higher ceiling who at worst will just go back to Italy and get us our money back (see Moise Kean).

People said the same the last few windows when 2 summers ago I said we don't have the players who create in this team, we then went and finished 19th for chances created and survived relegation by the skin of our teeth. And last summer when vast majority were thrilled with our summer window - I repeatedly said we didn't have any players with any proven credentials of scoring more than 5 league goals a season, or providing assists/chances etc and how our team was less equipped to survive relegation last season than the season before. Look what happened.

I think the point was that you could put De Bruyne in our current side and his assist stats might suffer

Gray got 2 prem goal from open play and one assist last season. But that’s fine because he only cost 1.7mil apparently. He served a purpose when we had no money and was cheap. But to now make a nice profit and help us sign young players with a lot of potential is surely the way to go.

It makes me laugh how fans criticise the club for buying players 27/28 with no sell on value. And now we get the chance to make a nice profit on a poor player and replace him with a 19yr old and loads of fans are saying no let’s keep gray instead. Because he gets one worldie every year
Is a mix for me with the wide players we could have young experience, danjuma mcneil iwobi all at a good age experience and first team ready. Then if we do add gnonto to that would be a young player who can come off the bench and start games and take the pressure away this season with the others. With the view he will kick on more the season aftwr

One of our players e.g Gomes, Dele, Gbamin on £100k a week would equate to around any annual payment for El Bilal.
Wouldn't say it's as simple as that. Let's say its a £30m deal and he's on that £4m a year wage that's rumoured. The deal would likely be stacked heavier at the start, even slightly. All in all first year's payment from us would probably be around £20m all things considered.

Also Gbamin isn't on £100k a week, probably more so £60k. Getting both him and Gomes out would still not even bring in £10m in savings, nevermind be enough on their own to pay for him. I think if we are to be getting rid of any, or all, of those 3 we'll at least be paying a part of their wages too.

All that to say I don't think it's as simple as shifting them out to bring in new faces based on their wages. Gray for Gnonto makes sense, they'd be roughly equivalent around a few million, with Toure though it's a different animal in terms of trying to structure it.

You have to remember that Gnonto was a 18 year old in his first PL season. Gray is like 25/26 and is still very hit and miss. I think 2/3 of Gray's goals were pens as well so I think we will be replacing Gray's goals with Gnonto.

What's not to like? Making a 10+ mil profit on an average winger and replacing him with someone with a higher ceiling who at worst will just go back to Italy and get us our money back (see Moise Kean).

We don't have the luxury of anything other than needing to improve the final third immediately with the season kicking off in 19 days.

I think the point was that you could put De Bruyne in our current side and his assist stats might suffer

No doubt mate, and Leeds scored a lot more goals than us last season. 48 to our lowest in the league 34.

If Gnonto was part of their attack which scored more than 7 other teams, great - hopefully he can transfer it here.

But if we're paying decent money for Gnonto and he comes in as part of a front three then he has to come in and start scoring. He's managed 2 top flight goals in his career so far.

People laughed when I said last summer we wouldn't outscore 3 other teams in the league. We didn't. We didn't outscore a single one.

I'm saying it again now - as it is, we won't outscore 3 teams in the Prem next season.

We don't have the luxury of anything other than needing to improve the final third immediately with the season kicking off in 19 days.

No doubt mate, and Leeds scored a lot more goals than us last season. 48 to our lowest in the league 34.

If Gnonto was part of their attack which scored more than 7 other teams, great - hopefully he can transfer it here.

But if we're paying decent money for Gnonto and he comes in as part of a front three then he has to come in and start scoring. He's managed 2 top flight goals in his career so far.

People laughed when I said last summer we wouldn't outscore 3 other teams in the league. We didn't. We didn't outscore a single one.

I'm saying it again now - as it is, we won't outscore 3 teams in the Prem next season.
It’s not and has never been exclusively a personnel problem.

I wasn't laughing then and I'm not laughing now. I agree. Gnonto would need to knock in 7 or 8 to prove part of his worth. But he will need somebody to pass to if he is to carry out the other half of his job, that's all. But I said last week Gnonto and Iheanacho move us up two places maximum. And they're my preferred incomings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back