Summer transfer window 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
We don't have the luxury of anything other than needing to improve the final third immediately with the season kicking off in 19 days.

No doubt mate, and Leeds scored a lot more goals than us last season. 48 to our lowest in the league 34.

If Gnonto was part of their attack which scored more than 7 other teams, great - hopefully he can transfer it here.

But if we're paying decent money for Gnonto and he comes in as part of a front three then he has to come in and start scoring. He's managed 2 top flight goals in his career so far.

People laughed when I said last summer we wouldn't outscore 3 other teams in the league. We didn't. We didn't outscore a single one.

I'm saying it again now - as it is, we won't outscore 3 teams in the Prem next season.
Not so sure mate, i think people are not realising the how bad the PL is this season, i think 32-33 points keeps you up this season.
Its as weak as i've ever seen it, don't get me wrong we are crap but not relegation fodder this season IMO even if we go with what we've got.

Not so sure mate, i think people are not realising the how bad the PL is this season, i think 32-33 points keeps you up this season.
Its as weak as i've ever seen it, don't get me wrong we are crap but not relegation fodder this season IMO even if we go with what we've got.

We scored 34 last season mate, and 5 of them come in 1 game vs Brighton. Nobody scored less than Everton.

We finished last season with our lowest ever points total.

Since then we've signed Danjuma and Young.

I'm not overly optimistic - in football you need goals.

Think to Bournemouth - we needed to win to stay up. At half time nobody could see where the shot, nevermind a goal was coming from. We still couldn't create or do anything - other than a worldie from Doucoure we were gone.

We scored 34 last season mate, and 5 of them come in 1 game vs Brighton. Nobody scored less than Everton.

We finished last season with our lowest ever points total.

Since then we've signed Danjuma and Young.

I'm not overly optimistic - in football you need goals.

Think to Bournemouth - we needed to win to stay up. At half time nobody could see where the shot, nevermind a goal was coming from. We still couldn't create or do anything - other than a worldie from Doucoure we were gone.
I don't know what transfers people think will completely transform that reality. There are 8 sides whose priority next season is avoiding relegation. Everton is one of them. Even if we bring in 2 or 3 of our preferred targets we will still be aiming to finish 14th at best in my view

Practically this whole thread is based on the reasonable assumption that DCL will likely miss a fair few games next season but he remains our first choice CF. So is Toure just proposed back up? Our new first choice? Is it an admission that DCL is bound to be injured? Or is it just nonsense and we'll never see the guy? This is why Iheanacho made sense to me. Reasonable price, adaptable player who could come in for DCL or sometimes play in a 442. The Toure thing doesn't smell right
Personally Id have questions on Kelechi too, but similarly feel the Toure interest a bit off. I am fine if we simply look to usurp DCL as a starter. But Toure to me is kind of a head stracher as the justification is a little hard to parse. He is an engaging prospect with upside more so than a proven commodity. Im definitely fine with a huge ceiling future focused signing but the rumored price is reflecting more of a proven commodity or a level of assurance I don't quite have. Is he by distinction better than a handful of names with similar potential who may be less costly? Hard for me to think we couldn't find something cheaper in that vein or at least a prospect with a little more assurance in output at the same price.

This kind of extends to Gnonto as well. He is a very engaging prospect but he would also be being purchased post an initial large move. We'd be paying for Leeds identification, at British market rates. Some can argue the drop effects the price, but personally think there isn't all that great value deals in the Championship anymore to begin with. Why are we simply not looking at players akin to Gnonto coming from Zurich then Leeds?

Broadly speaking Thelwell is targeting interesting profiles but his value calculations and or specificity of given names oppose to a larger profile or price range I find questionable. Struggling to see the fingerprints of logic or discernment of market and resources. We can make good signings zeroing in but the methods become harder to repeat which id argue appears in future windows.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back