Summer transfer window 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
You must be happy with Emery and Villa.

Top 6 probably looking at the usual suspects again but then Villa are challenging and you must fancy a top 8 finish especially with Tottenham in a dilemma over selling Kane.

West Ham still have Paqueta and Bowen plus cash but they lost Rice.

Brentford lose Toney with the ban, Fulham could lose their best two players and Silva - hard to replace that with incoming funds.

Brighton - can the scouting team keep striking gold?

If Everton had a competent and regularly available centre forward then in my view we comfortably finish 11th last season.

On the premise that Everton can bring in said competent and regularly available centre forward this season plus Danjuma who I think is an underrated and astute signing, then 10th-14th is a realistic finishing position depending upon injuries etc.
Yes, very happy with Villa, we finally appear to be doing things the right way. When it works it appears so simple. Owners provide cash and put a strong management team in place and get a good quality coach for the 1st team. So many clubs overcomplicate it with owners sticking their noses in when all they should be doing is providing funding and help with connections to the right commercial partners. I think Newcastle & Villa are showing that providing the funding is available, and many clubs have the funding, that a good coach and good management can be transformational. Unfortunately, I think Everton need to get Moshiri gone and get good owners in to put that sort of process in place. Everton should be a very easy club to sell to the right investor, Big club, big fanbase, historic club and a new stadium and probably undervalued due to underperformance so it is ripe for a sale.

As most on here say, Everton just need a half decent striker that will be able to play 35 games in the season and you will be fine. Danjuma will be a good addition as he adds some much needed pace. I have no idea what Toure is like but he sounds like he would be good. To me, Everton obviously needs a striker and an attacking mid that can unlock a defence with that killer pass. I really like Gnonto but I don't think he is the player u need. A Tim Cahill type player and I think you guys would be comfortably midtable

Newcastle fans was speaking the other day reckon Gordon will play on the right, but I’d love them to sell him at a loss I’d definitely play Barnes over him left or right.
Remember when we played him on the right against the tugboat Dan Burn and Burn rinsed him all game. Almiron and Murphy are better than him on the right, Joelinton, willock, isak, Barnes are better than him on the left.

Genuinely not sure where he fits for them. I hope we got a percentage of any sell on fee as can’t see him staying there long.

Remember when we played him on the right against the tugboat Dan Burn and Burn rinsed him all game. Almiron and Murphy are better than him on the right, Joelinton, willock, isak, Barnes are better than him on the left.

Genuinely not sure where he fits for them. I hope we got a percentage of any sell on fee as can’t see him staying there long.
Barnes is excellent going forward but his off the ball play is really poor imo. He will need to good coaching from Eddie

Are you making up arguments in your own head mate? I've not seen anyone say what you're saying makes you laugh there.
Seen plenty on here and all over twitter, wanting to keep gray with the usual he’s a good squad option. What you posted is like me saying is this EBT better than maupay as I’ve only seen him once and he didn’t have a great game

If we can replace Gray and bring Gronto in that's a great deal.

If we can bring a striker like Toure or Iheanacho, I think we can start looking at the midfield

If we signed El Bilal and Gnonto with only Gray the attacking player out the door then we'd have:

DCL
El Bilal
Cannon(?)
McNeil
Doucoure
iwobi
Gnonto
Mills

8 players for 4 positions.

In central midfield though we'd have Garner, Onana and Gana for 2 positions which leaves us 1 short. I think this is why we were linked to Scott and Wharton.

Wouldn't say it's as simple as that. Let's say its a £30m deal and he's on that £4m a year wage that's rumoured. The deal would likely be stacked heavier at the start, even slightly. All in all first year's payment from us would probably be around £20m all things considered.

Also Gbamin isn't on £100k a week, probably more so £60k. Getting both him and Gomes out would still not even bring in £10m in savings, nevermind be enough on their own to pay for him. I think if we are to be getting rid of any, or all, of those 3 we'll at least be paying a part of their wages too.

All that to say I don't think it's as simple as shifting them out to bring in new faces based on their wages. Gray for Gnonto makes sense, they'd be roughly equivalent around a few million, with Toure though it's a different animal in terms of trying to structure it.
Remember, new stadium in a season which should increase revenue (or what was the point of it) along with funds were owed over the next few seasons.

There will be short term issues it seems but for large gains soon enough.

Personally Id have questions on Kelechi too, but similarly feel the Toure interest a bit off. I am fine if we simply look to usurp DCL as a starter. But Toure to me is kind of a head stracher as the justification is a little hard to parse. He is an engaging prospect with upside more so than a proven commodity. Im definitely fine with a huge ceiling future focused signing but the rumored price is reflecting more of a proven commodity or a level of assurance I don't quite have. Is he by distinction better than a handful of names with similar potential who may be less costly? Hard for me to think we couldn't find something cheaper in that vein or at least a prospect with a little more assurance in output at the same price.

This kind of extends to Gnonto as well. He is a very engaging prospect but he would also be being purchased post an initial large move. We'd be paying for Leeds identification, at British market rates. Some can argue the drop effects the price, but personally think there isn't all that great value deals in the Championship anymore to begin with. Why are we simply not looking at players akin to Gnonto coming from Zurich then Leeds?

Broadly speaking Thelwell is targeting interesting profiles but his value calculations and or specificity of given names oppose to a larger profile or price range I find questionable. Struggling to see the fingerprints of logic or discernment of market and resources. We can make good signings zeroing in but the methods become harder to repeat which id argue appears in future windows.
If we signed a Gnonto type they still could take a season to adapt. Not to mention players Brighton sign such as Caicedo and Mitoma have 1/2 to 1 season of being integrated.

Paying higher fees for those younger players who are further along in their development should lessen the risk and adaptation time.

Obviously we all want players who come in and score immediately, and want any of our forward signings to be prolific. I also get that people want to bring in proven goalscorers. But we cant on one hand fans cant say "We need to find those players at 5m before they cost 20m" and then "We need to get proven top league players", as the two are almost mutually exclusive. Richarlison had 5 top flight goals in his career at the time we paid 35m for him.

The reality as we have clearly seen is buying "proven" guys like Maupay does nothing for you if they dont produce. What we really need is good scouting, who can do what other clubs do and find players who HAVENT produced much yet(like Gnonto) so are pretty affordable, but have the talent, ability, and are ready to break out. Im not bothered in the least by signing some young unproven player who only has a few goals as I think ultimately thats how we compete for europe. Im bothered because the people making decisions, the board, have been the same who have shown they have no ability to do so and always make the wrong decisions.
Also the profile of player. Meaning how their attributes combine with others.

We know El Bilal, Danjuma and Gnonto are quick and can affect things around the box. We know Doucoure can score and run all day into the box.

Even small margins like a fit Patterson/Garner and Onana playing in his correct position can improve us now theyve adapted.

Add up the small margins could see a big improvement not to mention Branthwaite instead of Keane.

Yes I’m not sure whether their love for him is because we had their pants down for the fee and they want to save face by saying he’s good? One of the better things Everton have done in a while getting what they did for him.

Remember the halcyon days of 98 when we got John Collins in and Dacourt? Remember how Collins coughed up he'd been lied to about the direction and intent of the club?

Such great days when the club could be arsed pretending to want to improve and get fans and players onside with their vision. We're on life support here and bills been playing chicken with the plug for way to long...

They all kind of made sense...

Simonsen -- the high potential keeper
Materazzi -- who would go on to be a global name. Just needed that season to adapt.
Dacourt -- class
Bakayoko -- Goalscorer from France

Collins -- for experience but i couldnt understand why we went for him.

We basically signed a new spine. Needed 12months more of Materazzi and Dacourt instead of Johnson punting them.

Now we have an opportunity. Pickford and Tarkowski for experience and Branthwaire, Garner and Onana for long term -- add Gnonto (ACM) to rotate and them replace Doucoure and El Bilal (CF/RW) to replace DCL/Iwobi and the likes of Patterson and McNeil mean mostly a fresh 11.

I watched Newcastle last night.

He came on as sub and made a decent run into the box, got his shot away, the keeper saved and Wilson tapped into an empty net.

He had a face like thunder during the celebration, cos he wasnt the 1 who scored, horrible attitude, lad thinks hes billy big balls and wont last long in any team with his stinky attitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back